MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    *sigh* Yes, I am so ignorant - oh, so ignorant. Please educate me. :rolli:

First, I was being facetious. If I actually believed all that, I surely would not have studied and I sure as hell wouldn't have gone into teaching and academia, but whatever....

In essence what I was trying to say is that it can be really frustrating in school and university on a number of different levels, of course.

Does that mean no one should study? Of course not. It's just a shame that education has not turned out to be the ideal it can be. And, yes, it has indeed dropped in its standards, which can be frustrating and annoying for those who really take education seriously.

What I was hyperbolizing is true only to a degree. Sure, you have to BS a bit, and you have to deal with jerks, and you also have to learn how to deal with people.

However, if I hadn't studied, I would not have had the opportunity to go to Germany, to teach, or to do any of the things I enjoy.

I'm quite surprised that a man of your aptitude took my comment 100% on face value, but perhaps you're kidding around a bit as well.
    Oops. Many apologies. I did take it to face value actually. It was that an ENFP such as yourself would write a list like that and looked serious. When an ENFP usually writes lists I look at it and go... hmmm... They might actually believe 100% of what they are saying. And thus I reply as such. It also helped that I was reading a bunch of comments in this thread that sounded quite ignorant.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Unless your an engineer, or some other crazy math or science major, you don't learn that much of anything.
    Is this a serious comment? I really hope not...
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Oops. Many apologies. I did take it to face value actually. It was that an ENFP such as yourself would write a list like that and looked serious. When an ENFP usually writes lists I look at it and go... hmmm... They might actually believe 100% of what they are saying. And thus I reply as such. It also helped that I was reading a bunch of comments in this thread that sounded quite ignorant.
    No worries! I was kinda making fun of some of the replies myself! hehe Should have used more smilies to make my point clear.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Is this a serious comment? I really hope not...
    Nah, I don't think so... Was it?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think I've talked to LL several times on my viewpoints on college. It's a business. Nothing more, nothing less.

The professors are a joke. The grades depend heavily on the professors, and it's a money transaction at every turnpoint so as long as they're paid it doesn't matter. Have a professor that teaches one way and makes a test an entirely different way? Oh well. Have a professor that hands you your grade without covering material you'll need next semester? Oh well. Or what about those professors that have the theory that A's should be an unattainable goal and students should be satisfied with whatever grade they decide to hand out??

Their systems are a joke. Wonder why they drop you the moment you don't have every little detail done? Because they don't care if you actually go to college, they care if you paid to go. So if you didn't have all your pays and papers done, they have no moral qualms in dropping you without ever really advising you.

College advisors are a joke. I could do better advising now than the head of the department.

Textbooks are a joke. They're even requiring classes that traditionally don't need things like textbooks (aerobics, etc.) to incorporate the textbook so that the students HAVE to buy it.

Infact, the only thing that isn't a joke is the fact that every rich person, and every extremely poor person can go to college, so anyone else has to get a degree to catch up in this shit job playing field.

The only places I think actual learning occurs is in continuing education-style courses and vocational institutions or programs.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

^ kyuuei. Are you 100% sure of what you said?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Yes. Keeping in mind that this is a personal answer from my experience thus far to the question. I'm glad I'm getting my "degree" and I'm glad I'm going to have a stable job about it all, but I don't think college is a place for learning. I think it's a business based on learning, and my experiences with it have never let me forget that.

I'm not saying I don't learn while in college. I learn from all the expereinces I get in life. but I don't think college is a foundation for learning the way it should be. I think it's moved, sadly, away from that.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

^ do you not count certain colleges such as medical school, science, etc.? You can't really say medical school is just a business.

MBTI
    xNFP

I think it would be incorrect to make a blanket statement about any institution per se, but let us be honest with each other: Why does a student have to pay 50,000 dollars a year to attend an academic institution? Before you mention that it has a good reputation or whatever, please keep in mind that the rest of the world has no freaking clue what William & Mary is. It sounds like a baking club. (Not saying it is, now).

Sure, the whole world knows Harvard and MIT. Nonetheless, I dumped 50,000 dollars into an education at a 'prestigious' Jesuit university, and you know what someone told me? "That sounds like an educational institution for a cult." LOL Damn it!

Now, before I'm overly negative, let me say I am happy and content that I got an education that allows me to do the work I love. Indeed, if I thought teaching was a total wash-out, I never would have engaged in it as a career. Of course, my education did open wonderful doors that have brought me where I am now; since I believe everything happens for a reason, I am thoroughly convinced that I did the right thing by attending university.

However, I do INDEED see why people get disenchanted with a system that does not always allow the very bright to reach their potential, sucks out the marrow out of the middle and lower-middle class, and drains the economic system by throwing an entire generation into huge amounts of debt by the time they are only in their mid 20s (!) and don't even have a mortgage or a family yet. The alternative: Manual labor or minimum wage jobs, part-time work, and temporary work for the rest of your life.

Not only does the system need serious revamping, but the standards must be re-evaluated.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Um, I only paid 1500 so far for my college tuition. Lovely Europe.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp