• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Professor: Getting him fired

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
they would all say they haven't brought in work today not allowing him to mark anyones work. It would be a mental hit to our professor which is good as he can't punish us all at once. He will realise he is doing wrong.

I wouldn't think so, especially not in his case.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Why couldn't he just give everyone a zero for not turning in an assignment? Even a "normal" teacher would do that.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@Blackcat: We will see. :D

I wouldn't think so, especially not in his case.
Perhaps you're right. Just depending on hope.

Why couldn't he just give everyone a zero for not turning in an assignment? Even a "normal" teacher would do that.
There are about 50 students in the class and about 45 participated in what we did. The university wouldn't allow the 0s that a whole class got affect our final mark. They would actually realise that we were serious. Plus it would make the university look bad. The last thing they want are complaints from a number of outside sources.

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
I too am not sure if that's going to work in everyone's favor. I'd think it would give him evidence that students aren't taking him seriously, which may be taken by the dean in or against your interests. I'd suggest following this up by having the students go to the department chair and explain the situation. Good luck.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can I ask a really stupid question? Maybe I missed something, but why don't you just talk with the bastid and explain how you think?

More about this topic shall be ranted about in my blog, where I won't subject you all to it.

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
Can I ask a really stupid question? Maybe I missed something, but why don't you just talk with the bastid and explain how you think?

More about this topic shall be ranted about in my blog, where I won't subject you all to it.

Sadly, you missed the entire thread.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think it's a pretty decent plan.

It jeopardizes the institution's name and credibility, which is all they have.

It's a risk. And many people will rationalize (as some have already done in the posts above) it avoid risk at all costs. It just looks like simple rationalization, but really it's just fear.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think it's a pretty decent plan.

It jeopardizes the institution's name and credibility, which is all they have.

It's a risk. And many people will rationalize against risk at all costs. It just looks like simple rationalization, but it's really fear.

The real question is, is it worth it?

If the answer is yes, which I think it's obvious from you have 45 other intelligent class mates, go for it all the way.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
One class skipping one assignment jeopardizes the institutions name and credibility?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sadly, you missed the entire thread.

Sure, I probably did miss something, but from what I gathered, the whole object was, "We've talked to him and everyone else, but nothing..." What was concretely stated, and how was this presented? To me (unless I missed a page or a post, which is probably the case, have to read it again perhaps) it was just we tried and tried, but nothing....Yes, but how exactly did you go about it? I'm not putting any blame on anyone, now. Just saying HOW you say something to certain people can really change the spin on things.

Sorry, but I really cannot imagine a REAL teacher (much less of a professor) saying to a serious student who says, "Excuse me, but I would really like to talk to you about some things that have been troubling the whole class." would be like, "Who gives a fuck; you're all retards anyway?!?!?!?!?!?" He might be a little bit defensive at first and try to illustrate why he has utilized certain methods, but can anyone really be that callous and dense??? At that level of teaching??? Good god, I'm nowhere near professor-level teaching, and if one of my students - good, bad, or indifferent - came to me and seriously expressed concern, much less disdain, about my class, I would stop everything and listen to that individual. Any REAL teacher would do the same. I guess I'm just in shock that this kind of behavior exists....

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it sounds like your professor really sucks it the whole class is complaining about him.

You may be doomed to fail the class, but if you all push hard enough, maybe you can take him down with you and ensure you get a better teacher next semester.

Good luck! :yes:

I had no idea INTJs could be so vindictive, though. You make me proud. ;)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^^^ Which is why I say it's important to document every single little detail of everything in black and white with proof and everything. Otherwise it will be perceived as petty bitching.

I totally agree that this teacher is an asshole x 10,000. Don't get me wrong. I would NEVER EVER EVER teach a class like that in any case. However, I just wanted to see if there was something to salvage before declaring all out and out war, and it just seems like that's not really possible...

You know how it is...People drop hints and are really diplomatic or whatever, or they think they were clear, and the message doesn't get through. Such as, "Well, we sort of have the feeling that this and this is rather like that and that..." Or some people assume behavior should tell a person they are doing a bad job, e.g. not doing homework. What is really necessary is just sitting down, speaking very directly, discussing rationally, calmly and clearly without any blame, just facts. On the other hand, it's so easy in a tense situation to be like, "YOU are like this, and YOU do that, and YOU are making us do things this way, and THAT'S not right." That makes people defensive and not listen.

However, what is necessary in this case is simply the facts, documented accurately, in such a way that they cannot be ignored. Facts are facts and must be dealt with - because truth simply IS.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
One class skipping one assignment jeopardizes the institutions name and credibility?

Well it will have to be repeated indefinitely, of course.

Everything stops until that matter is resolved by whomever is highest up on the food chain.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I cannot imagine a university that is unwilling to deal with repeated, well documented and proven complaints. That can't be, can it??? :huh:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, indeed I have. But that is a terrible long-term strategy. Something like that can cause the end of an institution in the worst-case scenario.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Suck it up. Just get comfortable hating your life for a semester... It's a short period of life and it could be worse, seriously.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
@Blackcat: We will see. :D

Perhaps you're right. Just depending on hope.

There are about 50 students in the class and about 45 participated in what we did. The university wouldn't allow the 0s that a whole class got affect our final mark. They would actually realise that we were serious. Plus it would make the university look bad. The last thing they want are complaints from a number of outside sources.

Not true. You didn't turn in the assignment; ergo, you "earned" your zero. Period. If he'd given blanket zeroes to a class because he didn't like the way you formatted your paper or something, you might have a case. But not doing your work just gives him the power to lower your grade. And you're not likely to get that zero thrown out. I am a teacher, and if half or more of the class just decided not to turn something in, they would all get zeroes, no questions asked.

Your best bet would be to chat with the head of the department and tell him or her your concerns about this teacher and his lack of fairness. Avoid hyperbole at all costs. Seriously. Just explain that you feel like no matter how hard anyone in the class works, it's impossible to make a decent grade, and that's discouraging for everyone in the class. Explain that this person is teaching THREE of your classes, and you're concerned that you're fighting a losing battle. That you want a fair shot to study hard and make a good grade. You should be able to get a meeting with the head of the department. But if you exaggerate, you will not be listened to or taken seriously. And you will need concrete examples to back it up. No one's going to just take your word for it.

am_i_evil666

Ok this is how it works: find an (underage) prostitute (or a willing girl) and convince her to seduce him. Then throw a videotape into the mix. Put it on the Internet. Voila! He'll be fired in no time.