User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 219

  1. #61
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Tell the dean he touches you after class

  2. #62
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    That's severely problematic given the objective of your thread.

    Ethos.

    One should always take care to establish and maintain one's ethos, especially when attempting to disestablish another's ethos. Failing to do so is tantamount to spitting on the established conventions of logic, or, just plain stupid.
    I've went through a whole process of thought to want to fire him. Why must it be that I have to guide everyone else through it as well? One only takes the details as truth? Or can't they use their logic and imagination to understand how I came to my conclusions. I sometimes feel as if I'm talking to children trying to guide them through my experiences and thought processes.

    Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Tell the dean he touches you after class
    Hahaha!

  3. #63
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I've went through a whole process of thought to want to fire him. Why must it be that I have to guide everyone else through it as well? One only takes the details as truth? Or can't they use their logic and imagination to understand how I came to my conclusions. I sometimes feel as if I'm talking to children trying to guide them through my experiences and thought processes.
    Because if you haven't established your good character and your fair and reasonably accurate perception of reality (or at least narrated your story in such a way as to lead your audience to believe these things), your audience, by default, presumes a lot of things.

    Your audience presumes your character to be in line with the whiny immature brats on junior high television dramas. They presume that instead of handling the bumpy events of life with maturity, that you choose to throw your hands in the air and throw a tantrum.

    If you fail to narrate a convincing ethos, your audience presumes you're unequipped to deal with adulthood, and that all of the problems you articulate are projections of your own failures rather than a reflection of anything to do with the authority figure which you fail to see eye to eye with.


    The way that you now say, "I sometimes feel as if I'm talking to children trying to guide them through my experiences and thought processes," and the way that you failed to provide any evidence when Elaur asked for it suggests that the problem lies with you more than the problem lies with your professor, which is why a lot of the responses are given with that view.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  4. #64
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Tell people he's gay.
    No--that will only strengthen his position to stay, in an academic environment.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

  5. #65
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Because if you haven't established your good character and your fair and reasonably accurate perception of reality (or at least narrated your story in such a way as to lead your audience to believe these things), your audience, by default, presumes a lot of things.

    Your audience presumes your character to be in line with the whiny immature brats on junior high television dramas. They presume that instead of handling the bumpy events of life with maturity, that you choose to throw your hands in the air and throw a tantrum.

    If you fail to narrate a convincing ethos, your audience presumes you're unequipped to deal with adulthood, and that all of the problems you articulate are projections of your own failures rather than a reflection of anything to do with the authority figure which you fail to see eye to eye with.


    The way that you now say, "I sometimes feel as if I'm talking to children trying to guide them through my experiences and thought processes," and the way that you failed to provide any evidence when Elaur asked for it suggests that the problem lies with you more than the problem lies with your professor, which is why a lot of the responses are given with that view.
    Yes. You're right. The problem lies with me. I'll do my best to fix it.
    I'm fully aware of how my posts sound. They sound arrogant, immature and ignorant. Many apologies for it.

    To put things in a simpler form:
    That teacher is affecting my future. It is on a semester that is really important to me. That teacher is in charge of 60% of my final grades on the three most important subjects in the semester. Even if I work hard the teacher doesn't give good results. The hardest workers in class get results of below average students. These are some of the reasons I want him fired.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Yes. You're right. The problem lies with me. I'll do my best to fix it.
    I'm fully aware of how my posts sound. They sound arrogant, immature and ignorant. Many apologies for it.

    To put things in a simpler form:
    That teacher is affecting my future. It is on a semester that is really important to me. That teacher is in charge of 60% of my final grades on the three most important subjects in the semester. Even if I work hard the teacher doesn't give good results. The hardest workers in class get results of below average students. These are some of the reasons I want him fired.
    I had a prof. in college who..required in-class participation as a large percentage of the grade.

    Up until the drop date..was nice as pie. Then, the next week, I added to the discussion with a factual comment. That teacher denied my comment with a snide remark, as if the laws of physics were wrong. After a clear trend in hate or disdain from her, I went to the dean. I don't remember the specific point I added, but she hated me obv.

    I figured she knew it was open-season to hate those she disliked. And to show it.

    Sitting down with the dean, explained that I was about to transfer to the finest art school in the country and didn't need an illegitimate bad mark on my transcript. The dean overrode the damn school rule drop date and let me drop the class. She said that prof. had been having troubles and that she had promised to get her personal troubles fixed in the last 6 mos. Obviously didn't happen.

    I didn't stick around to see what happened to her career. Glad not to.



    BTW THIS would be entertaining:

    YouTube - SAM KINISON IN BACK TO SCHOOL
    I'd wait in line to get into that class.


    Also I would understand your frustration with this person not being professional. Maybe they engage in Eastern Philosophical crap. Mind games. If it were an Eastern Studies class, then fair game. But it's not. So you are right in getting your money's worth. And this isn't part of what's included. This appears, from what you describe, to be a game of moving the finish line.

    Ask the prof. what exactly you need to do to get an A/B/C. Then follow those things to the tee. Get it in writing.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

  7. #67
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Yes. You're right. The problem lies with me. I'll do my best to fix it.
    I'm fully aware of how my posts sound. They sound arrogant, immature and ignorant. Many apologies for it.


    I haven't even read past the point where I saw Elaur ask, for the second time, for any shred of evidence to support your position. To expect random strangers on the internet to read dozens of posts in a thread before you get around to communicating effectively rather than taking the extra minute to articulate more information on your own is self-centred. It's a characteristic often found in adolescence. Which is why many older people are presuming that this is your own fault.

    This has nothing to do with whether or not you're right, this have everything to do with how you're selecting which information to communicate and selecting which information isn't important.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  8. #68
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar7 View Post
    I had a prof. in college who..required in-class participation as a large percentage of the grade.

    Up until the drop date..was nice as pie. Then, the next week, I added to the discussion with a factual comment. That teacher denied my comment, as if the laws of physics were wrong. I don't remember the specific point I added, but she hated me obv.

    I figured she knew it was open-season to hate those she disliked. And to show it.

    I went to the dean, explained that I was about to transfer to the finest art school in the country. The dean overrode the damn school rule drop date and let me drop the class. She said that prof. had been having troubles and that she had promised to get her personal troubles fixed in the last 6 mos. Obviously didn't happen.

    I didn't stick around to see what happened to her career. Glad not to.



    BTW THIS would be entertaining:

    YouTube - SAM KINISON IN BACK TO SCHOOL

    I'd wait in line to get into that class.
    I'm dropping one of my subjects with him but I still have two more You are really lucky to only experience the teacher in one subject.

    Haha! Nice video. That teacher seems more sane than mine though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post


    I haven't even read past the point where I saw Elaur ask, for the second time, for any shred of evidence to support your position. To expect random strangers on the internet to read dozens of posts in a thread before you get around to communicating effectively rather than taking the extra minute to articulate more information on your own is self-centred. It's a characteristic often found in adolescence. Which is why many older people are presuming that this is your own fault.

    This has nothing to do with whether or not you're right, this have everything to do with how you're selecting which information to communicate and selecting which information isn't important.
    Well it's kinda hard for me to show a picture of him or provide some real evidence as this is not real life. If you were in front of me right now I can show you enough evidence to support my claim that he is a really bad professor..

  9. #69
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Yes. You're right. The problem lies with me. I'll do my best to fix it.
    I'm fully aware of how my posts sound. They sound arrogant, immature and ignorant. Many apologies for it.

    To put things in a simpler form:
    That teacher is affecting my future. It is on a semester that is really important to me. That teacher is in charge of 60% of my final grades on the three most important subjects in the semester. Even if I work hard the teacher doesn't give good results. The hardest workers in class get results of below average students. These are some of the reasons I want him fired.
    I know that I (and others) sort of said this before, but there's really nothing you can do here but work hard and learn as much as you can - both about the subjects you're studying and about how to work with people who you may not get along with easily.

    Something else... you say that the people who work the hardest (are you sure?) get the results of below average students. Consider that the average grade being a 6 in his courses rather than an 8 with other professors doesn't necessarily mean anything. It doesn't mean that you're not learning as much as if you'd gotten an 8, and it doesn't mean that the professor doesn't respect the work you're doing. He's simply grading on a different scale, setting expectations high enough to really gauge how well you're learning. Take a typical grading scale, where 70% is a C, 80% is a B, etc. Most, if not all students are going to fall within that 30% of the grade scale. That, if anything, prevents a wide-ranging evaluation, decreasing the resolution at which your performance can be evaluated. I've had courses where a 60% was an A - it's humbling, to be sure, when you're used to higher percentage scores - but you can still learn as much (if not more). I know that it's easier said than done when you're the student, but try and focus on learning, and not on the grade you think you'll get. Grades really *do* come, if you focus on the learning.

    Now I'm not saying that this guy *isn't* just a jerk. He might be. But he might also be a new guy trying his best. Either way, you need to do the best you can with the situation. Work hard. When it's time for course evaluations, be honest (but not dramatic).

    You mentioned that you've tried talking to him. I would suggest trying that again - but do it on his terms. Go during his office hours (or make an appointment - or both). Talk to him one-on-one. *DON'T* focus on how you don't like him. *DO* focus on asking how you can improve yourself and your understanding of the material. *DON'T* "blame" him for the fact that your scores aren't what you expected. *DO* emphasize to yourself, the whole time you're there, on how important it is to treat him as someone you respect and have a lot to learn from. Be mature, even if you don't want to (we all have those moments ). Do not, whatever you do, respond petulantly to *anything* he says. Don't make excuses. It's probably best if you don't mention grades at all - "how could I have done better / what did I omit" is okay. "What does it take to get an A" is horrible.

    You may already have done this - but your goal here is to learn as much as you can from him and complete his courses so that you can move on in your curriculum. There's nothing to "win" in a conflict with him. Keep that in mind.

    Anyway, that's what I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #70
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Incompetent people 'hide' in academia. There are lots of competent professors. Those are real teachers.

    Some are in academia because they can't make it outside in the real world.

    So it's a mess.

    You know, this spurns a question: Why is it that Academia is the ONLY place in civilized society where you pay someone, and they remain the boss!?!?!?!?!

    That's a crock of communism right there.

    The school system is 55 years outdated.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Similar Threads

  1. Can my father get into grad school with a felony?
    By The Great One in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
  2. This is just beginning to get on my nerves...
    By MerkW in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
  3. Somethings I need to get off my chest
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO