User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 219

  1. #21
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Take the energy you are spending on this campaign to ruin someone's life and put it toward your studies. I'm wondering why you think this is appropriate to do someone their first year of teaching. You sound like a bully - you are bored so you are picking on someone.

    How To Change And Stop Being A Bully (Family & Education: Bullying)

    I wonder what would happen if he put his energy toward getting you kicked out of uni.
    Oooober +'s

  2. #22
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Take the energy you are spending on this campaign to ruin someone's life and put it toward your studies. I'm wondering why you think this is appropriate to do someone their first year of teaching. You sound like a bully - you are bored so you are picking on someone.

    How To Change And Stop Being A Bully (Family & Education: Bullying)

    I wonder what would happen if he put his energy toward getting you kicked out of uni.
    Turning the whole thing around hmmm? Bully or not, I'm not the only one who wants him fired anyways. The whole class does. I'm just trying to get it into action because there is no use only talking about it. For the record, about half the class sunk into some sort of depression from this guy. We'd all rather him gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    If he's a first year professor then this sounds like he's trying to develop his professional identity and taking it a bit too seriously. Overachieveing in trying to establish himself as an authoritative figure, being stricter than professors who have already gotten the hang of it and are more comfortable in their identity.

    Of course you're going to hit the brick wall with trying to talk to him and the dean because as you see him as someone who is unreasonable, they see you as unreasonable as well. You said that you have talked to him. How? Accusations or reasoning? Try talking to him again and smooth things out because they're not going to get any better by being childish and throwing mud around.
    The hell? I've seen many professors who were lovely when it was their first time teaching. I'm telling you there is something wrong with him. VERY wrong. I swear I wish you could all see him.

  3. #23
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Suck it up this time and try to do your best. Then never take a class from him again. That's really the best you can do.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  4. #24
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Already done.

    No. He is not normal. I've never seen anyone like him before and it will be unlikely someone like him would be my boss.
    Oh my god you have no idea...
    I work with crazy people. The rule of promote the incompetent and mentally ill appears to be in full effect.

    Actually what is really awesome is that at every company you will ever work for, most upper level folks are hired from external. At first I thought is was good to get an influx of new blood.

    Now I understand they all LEFT the old companies for some reason...Let's all now observe and find out why. Just wait about four months and it starts to be obvious. You will end up working for crazy morons at some point. Since you are an INTJ, 98% of the world will not meet your standards, thus you are screwed.

    Learn skills now, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Turning the whole thing around hmmm? Bully or not, I'm not the only one who wants him fired anyways. The whole class does. I'm just trying to get it into action because there is no use only talking about it. For the record, about half the class sunk into some sort of depression from this guy. We'd all rather him gone.

    The hell? I've seen many professors who were lovely when it was their first time teaching. I'm telling you there is something wrong with him. VERY wrong. I swear I wish you could all see him.
    We faced this with a long term prof who was fairly sexiest. He was an indian ENTP. We skipped the department chair and went to the Dean who blew us off. Then we went to the VP of student affairs and requested all of the course reviews for the class for the previous ten years under the freedom of information act. (Interestingly this suggestion was made by another ENTP who the indian guy had screwed over on a grant. Dont fuck with ENTPs) My school had gotten tangled in a bad scandal about five years before when a journaslist did this and found out the former provost had spent 600K redecorating his office.

    They fucking freaked. They moved him to teaching a freshman level course-which he was actually very good I heard later. Resolved our issues as the grading was much less subjective-thus less room for male preferences.

    My guess is your guy has poor teaching skills, is under massive stress to produce grants, is feeling very pressured to measure up to his peers-the other professors.

    You cant get him fired unless you get him trapped in a sexual harrassment situation. Instead learn what he is looking for and manipulate accordingly.

  5. #25
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Turning the whole thing around hmmm? Bully or not, I'm not the only one who wants him fired anyways. The whole class does. I'm just trying to get it into action because there is no use only talking about it. For the record, about half the class sunk into some sort of depression from this guy. We'd all rather him gone.
    Oh cmon. I had profs whose wives were going through chemo and went from totally awesome to pretty much acting like he hated all our guts (and it affected our grades). I had a prof that used to yell "YOU THINK THIS IS BULL S***" at us and "YOU THINK METALLURGY SUCKS, DONT YOU?!?!?!?" We just sat and waited for class to be over.

    Unless he is doing something illegal like Happy said you really have no reason to be acting like this.

    And just because "everyone wants him fired" doesn't mean he should be fired. This is really college you are talking about?

  6. #26
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    TThe hell? I've seen many professors who were lovely when it was their first time teaching. I'm telling you there is something wrong with him. VERY wrong. I swear I wish you could all see him.
    And getting him fired will fix him? Confront him with solid evidence and try to convince him to see your way. He doesn't listen? Too bad, don't take no for an answer. But getting him fired is not the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    My guess is your guy has poor teaching skills, is under massive stress to produce grants, is feeling very pressured to measure up to his peers-the other professors.
    Exactly.
    You cant get him fired unless you get him trapped in a sexual harrassment situation. Instead learn what he is looking for and manipulate accordingly.
    Oh, don't give Raging here any ideas. Agreed with the bolded part. I'd use "make it work for you" instead of "manipulation".

  7. #27
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    Oh my god you have no idea...
    I work with crazy people. The rule of promote the incompetent and mentally ill appears to be in full effect.

    Actually what is really awesome is that at every company you will ever work for, most upper level folks are hired from external. At first I thought is was good to get an influx of new blood.

    Now I understand they all LEFT the old companies for some reason...Let's all now observe and find out why. Just wait about four months and it starts to be obvious. You will end up working for crazy morons at some point. Since you are an INTJ, 98% of the world will not meet your standards, thus you are screwed.

    Learn skills now, I guess.
    My plan is to have a 5 year working experience, then create my own company. So most likely, I'll not stay as one who is employed for long.

    My guess is your guy has poor teaching skills, is under massive stress to produce grants, is feeling very pressured to measure up to his peers-the other professors.
    Yes, perhaps. But he does it in one of the worst ways possible.

    You cant get him fired unless you get him trapped in a sexual harrassment situation. Instead learn what he is looking for and manipulate accordingly.
    Oh I'm usually very good at this. Worked for all other professors before. I did try it with this professor... no. The most manipulative person in my class is a girl who usually gets 90% in all her works. She got 35% from him. Oh how upset she was.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Oh cmon. I had profs whose wives were going through chemo and went from totally awesome to pretty much acting like he hated all our guts (and it affected our grades). I had a prof that used to yell "YOU THINK THIS IS BULL S***" at us and "YOU THINK METALLURGY SUCKS, DONT YOU?!?!?!?" We just sat and waited for class to be over.

    Unless he is doing something illegal like Happy said you really have no reason to be acting like this.

    And just because "everyone wants him fired" doesn't mean he should be fired. This is really college you are talking about?
    I'm sorry but I wasn't aware that someone who is extremely bad at doing his job shouldn't be fired. He has a professorship. He should know how to do his job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    And getting him fired will fix him? Confront him with solid evidence and try to convince him to see your way. He doesn't listen? Too bad, don't take no for an answer. But getting him fired is not the way to go.
    I already stated about how he reacted to confrontation on the first page.


    I probably wouldn't be complaining like this if it were one, possibly two subjects. But three? I see this guy 4 days a week and I'm sorry but I have to say, I can't tolerate him any longer. My misfortune compels me to remove it. If I tolerate it it just may affect my future for the worse. I don't want to take the risk therefore I can't ignore him.

  8. #28
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Unless he is doing something illegal or against the school rules he's unlikely to be fired.

    If he's in his first year teaching, he doesn't know what to expect from you and it seems his expectations are too high. If this causes grade problems, you can appeal to your school and they will usually review them to see if they can change them. Normally a school will have a standard average they expect for a class and they may bell-curve the class if it doesn't meet that (depends on the school/prof)

    If talking to the dean didn't work, you are probably out of options so deal with it and don't take any of his classes again if you can avoid it.

    The sad truth is that many profs are there to support their research and not at all to teach, and the school knows this.
    -end of thread-

  9. #29
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Unless he is doing something illegal or against the school rules he's unlikely to be fired.

    If he's in his first year teaching, he doesn't know what to expect from you and it seems his expectations are too high. If this causes grade problems, you can appeal to your school and they will usually review them to see if they can change them. Normally a school will have a standard average they expect for a class and they may bell-curve the class if it doesn't meet that (depends on the school/prof)

    If talking to the dean didn't work, you are probably out of options so deal with it and don't take any of his classes again if you can avoid it.
    Oh I'm definitely going to make sure he doesn't appear next semester. Most people who learnt by him complained, including the assistant teachers. If it goes on he won't be accepted to teach in the coming semester. In the meantime, if nothing changes, I'm dropping a subject.

  10. #30
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I already stated about how he reacted to confrontation on the first page.
    You mean this? -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    2. The guy is always right... according to him. Anything you say or submit to him is wrong. It will always be wrong. If I were the most talented guy on the subject that ever lived it would still be wrong. You are wrong even if you are Leonardo Da Vinci.

    3. If he explains something and we do it exactly as he says he says it's wrong. Where is the fucking logic in that. He explains 'y' and expects us to do 'x'.
    Have you considered that you might actually be wrong? Explaining something means that you back it up with evidence that is right in front of you. If you think that he is wrong and present him with that evidence how can he possibly say that it is wrong? You're doing the confronting wrong.

    Ok, I'm done with this subject and contributing to your whining.

Similar Threads

  1. Can my father get into grad school with a felony?
    By The Great One in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
  2. This is just beginning to get on my nerves...
    By MerkW in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
  3. Somethings I need to get off my chest
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO