User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, it sounds like your professor really sucks it the whole class is complaining about him.

You may be doomed to fail the class, but if you all push hard enough, maybe you can take him down with you and ensure you get a better teacher next semester.

Good luck!

I had no idea INTJs could be so vindictive, though. You make me proud.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

^^^ Which is why I say it's important to document every single little detail of everything in black and white with proof and everything. Otherwise it will be perceived as petty bitching.

I totally agree that this teacher is an asshole x 10,000. Don't get me wrong. I would NEVER EVER EVER teach a class like that in any case. However, I just wanted to see if there was something to salvage before declaring all out and out war, and it just seems like that's not really possible...

You know how it is...People drop hints and are really diplomatic or whatever, or they think they were clear, and the message doesn't get through. Such as, "Well, we sort of have the feeling that this and this is rather like that and that..." Or some people assume behavior should tell a person they are doing a bad job, e.g. not doing homework. What is really necessary is just sitting down, speaking very directly, discussing rationally, calmly and clearly without any blame, just facts. On the other hand, it's so easy in a tense situation to be like, "YOU are like this, and YOU do that, and YOU are making us do things this way, and THAT'S not right." That makes people defensive and not listen.

However, what is necessary in this case is simply the facts, documented accurately, in such a way that they cannot be ignored. Facts are facts and must be dealt with - because truth simply IS.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    One class skipping one assignment jeopardizes the institutions name and credibility?

Well it will have to be repeated indefinitely, of course.

Everything stops until that matter is resolved by whomever is highest up on the food chain.
    You can call me Charles.

MBTI
    xNFP

I cannot imagine a university that is unwilling to deal with repeated, well documented and proven complaints. That can't be, can it???
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I cannot imagine a university that is unwilling to deal with repeated, well documented and proven complaints. That can't be, can it???
    Haven't you heard of bureaucracy and corruption? Well, that's how it's possible.

MBTI
    xNFP

Yes, indeed I have. But that is a terrible long-term strategy. Something like that can cause the end of an institution in the worst-case scenario.

MBTI
    ISTx

Suck it up. Just get comfortable hating your life for a semester... It's a short period of life and it could be worse, seriously.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    @Blackcat: We will see.

Perhaps you're right. Just depending on hope.

There are about 50 students in the class and about 45 participated in what we did. The university wouldn't allow the 0s that a whole class got affect our final mark. They would actually realise that we were serious. Plus it would make the university look bad. The last thing they want are complaints from a number of outside sources.
    Not true. You didn't turn in the assignment; ergo, you "earned" your zero. Period. If he'd given blanket zeroes to a class because he didn't like the way you formatted your paper or something, you might have a case. But not doing your work just gives him the power to lower your grade. And you're not likely to get that zero thrown out. I am a teacher, and if half or more of the class just decided not to turn something in, they would all get zeroes, no questions asked.

Your best bet would be to chat with the head of the department and tell him or her your concerns about this teacher and his lack of fairness. Avoid hyperbole at all costs. Seriously. Just explain that you feel like no matter how hard anyone in the class works, it's impossible to make a decent grade, and that's discouraging for everyone in the class. Explain that this person is teaching THREE of your classes, and you're concerned that you're fighting a losing battle. That you want a fair shot to study hard and make a good grade. You should be able to get a meeting with the head of the department. But if you exaggerate, you will not be listened to or taken seriously. And you will need concrete examples to back it up. No one's going to just take your word for it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    YaYa

Claim sexual harassment.

Ok this is how it works: find an (underage) prostitute (or a willing girl) and convince her to seduce him. Then throw a videotape into the mix. Put it on the Internet. Voila! He'll be fired in no time.