User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Well most people probably don't care if you actually apply anything they say, they are just wanting to make their points. So if you seem to be listening you are giving them what they want.

(cynical enfp)

MBTI
    INXP

That's not cynical, it's an accurate observation. Many people, when professing, are just waiting for you to stop speaking (while not listening) in order to proclaim their next thought.

MBTI
    INTP

I care if Ragingkatsuki applies anything that we've said. Mostly if he applies what I said. Then I will feel the bright light of justice on my wings.

I don't care so much about him as I care about the educational system. If we can assume he's correct in his criticisms of the obtuse professor, we can assume the professor is currently a problem for the educational system. If this problem can be corrected or at least not seen as a problem anymore, that produces benefits for the whole, like more satisfied current and future students not wasting further time and grief on a bad professor.

Dealing with bad bosses by putting up with it until either of you get a new position is an acceptable strategy. The burden of productivity will be on the boss; if blame is put on an employee unjustly, that employee can talk to HR. In academics, the burden of grading is mostly on the students who have to deal with the consequences, and if the grades are unjustly given, the students should exercise their negotiation muscle and take the initiative.

I think universities and the educational system in general are hurting so badly that Professor Bogus and ilk are allowed more leniency if they can cover courses in the curriculum. The administration can't keep tabs on all the professors and require some action on the students' part to acknowledge and address serious problems with faculty members.

For us on the forum, the situation doesn't affect us directly, so of course we can say whatever we want, like I am. The real burden's on Rk, who has to decide whether or not the concerns are real enough to confront the problem.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

How about working something out with your instructor? He might be a little more reasonable if you didn't get him on the defensive.

And suddenly I'm reminded of Clueless...

Mel: Which reminds me, where's your report card?
    Cher: It's not ready yet.
    Mel: What do you mean, "it's not ready yet?"
    Cher: Well, some teachers are trying to low-ball me, Daddy. And I know how you say, "Never accept a first offer", so I figure these grades are just a jumping off point to start negotiations.

---

Cher: You are such a brown-noser.
    Josh: Oh, and you are such a superficial space cadet. What makes you think you can get teachers to change your grades?
    Cher: The fact that I've done it every other semester.

---

Mel: You mean to tell me that you argued your way from a C+ to an A-?
    Cher: Totally based on my powers of persuasion, you proud?
    Mel: Honey, I couldn't be happier than if they were based on real grades.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    How about working something out with your instructor? He might be a little more reasonable if you didn't get him on the defensive.

And suddenly I'm reminded of Clueless...

Mel: Which reminds me, where's your report card?
    Cher: It's not ready yet.
    Mel: What do you mean, "it's not ready yet?"
    Cher: Well, some teachers are trying to low-ball me, Daddy. And I know how you say, "Never accept a first offer", so I figure these grades are just a jumping off point to start negotiations.

---

Cher: You are such a brown-noser.
    Josh: Oh, and you are such a superficial space cadet. What makes you think you can get teachers to change your grades?
    Cher: The fact that I've done it every other semester.

---

Mel: You mean to tell me that you argued your way from a C+ to an A-?
    Cher: Totally based on my powers of persuasion, you proud?
    Mel: Honey, I couldn't be happier than if they were based on real grades.
    Haha, I only recently watched Clueless (on netflix instant play) for the first time, but I ended up falling asleep. I remember those lines though.

I think Rk mentioned that there was a girl who is skilled at negotiating grades and failed, so maybe the Cher approach isn't a possibility. Unless he's actually a hot, wealthy valley girl.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't think negotianting grades is fair, tbh. I mean...It's like loserdom to the exponential powers...as if a grade really changed your life.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't think negotianting grades is fair, tbh. I mean...It's like loserdom to the exponential powers...as if a grade really changed your life.
    If a grade really isn't that important, why don't all professors simply hand out all As or Fs? It's one thing to negotiate a B+ to an A-, but it's another to negotiate a fail to a pass, especially if it's unclear what the reasons for failing are. A semester's worth of time is on the line, which, depending on the college and program, translates to a few hundred to several thousand dollars. A few low grades may not matter in the end, but three low grades in the student's major can make a difference for future applications to grad school or field-related jobs. If those low grades can be attributed to a single bad professor, it's prudent to at least attempt to do something about it.

On that note, Rk should definitely keep working hard in class so as to not give any additional reason for the professor to be justified.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

k, you're right, fail or pass is a bigger deal yes
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Unfortunately barely anyone understands it and takes my humour as me being serious.
    I beg to differ.