First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If you ever approached him in a friendly, non-confrontational manner, without "insisting" that he do what you demand, you haven't mentioned it yet. It's really not surprising that a professor (esp. one who isn't such a great teacher, which as Usehername has mentioned is only one aspect of a professor's job) would react that way to students when they approach him with demands.
    We tried that. Didn't work. We tried all reasonable ways to talk to him. He is extremely stubborn.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Did you ask about a curve or do you think after all this that it might make him not want to curve if you ask?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    So you would be totally alright if you had a teacher that treats the whole class like shit and is extremely unfair in grading? I don't care if he is a researcher or knows everything about what he teaches. If he doesn't do the teaching well, he shouldn't teach in the first place.
    I think we've all been in a similar-ish situation, katsuki, which is why people asked for more details, because it really depends on the details here.

If you want some helpful advice, go open your free agenda or go to your student association website, and look up your student representative. At my university, this person's title is the Student Association's Vice President Advocate. This person is an elected official who is paid to know the rights of students and to advocate on your behalf. They would guide you regarding how to appeal, how to go to senate, and how to take action in respectful ways (not to mention tell you exactly how your problem is or isn't a problem, for example, they would tell you you need to ask if you're graded on a curve, if you haven't done so yet).

People were repeatedly asking reasonable questions in an attempt to help, and you (originally) didn't answer them, or you took jibes and rolled your eyes at the people with more knowledge who were trying to help you. This was my issue with you. Do you not have any problem with this?

If you look what I quoted above, every time someone asked for more details, you might want to go over how you responded to that question.

What about being graded on a curve? Did you even answer that question? Have you asked him yet? Furthermore, once he submits his marks, senate will override his grades and curve them for you if they deem them too low. Your professor is not all powerful, senate is.

Your professor very well could be a terrible human who is doing more harm than good. But the issue is not so black and white; the issue takes place in an established institution with protocol and elected officials whose role is solely to help guide you through the process of standing up for your rights and also not causing a big problem when perhaps some of the problem has to do with how you're attempting to solve it (aka trying to get him fired).

This goes back to what I said about developing your ethos earlier, which you rolled your eyes to. There was a reason I said all of this earlier, just like there was a reason a lot of people asked questions earlier. Your responses to the individuals who were trying to help you were immature and self-centred. I have a problem with that.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Did you ask about a curve or do you think after all this that it might make him not want to curve if you ask?
    No. I didn't ask about it. I'll be seeing him tomorrow. I'll ask then. I doubt that it is though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I highly doubt he is going to be able to give everyone a 60% in the class. That is actually something the dean probably wouldn't go for. A professor that turns in all C's and lower in a class is going to get asked why they didn't curve. Are you sure no one is getting a high grade?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I highly doubt he is going to be able to give everyone a 60% in the class. That is actually something the dean probably wouldn't go for. A professor that turns in all C's and lower in a class is going to get asked why they didn't curve. Are you sure no one is getting a high grade?

If it's a large class and the highest mark is a C, the senate will require the professor to submit details of their grades beyond the letters the professor submitted, and then the senate will impose their own grading system. And btw then this n00b prof is going to look like a tool which he does not want to do, so he won't actually do this, he'll curve it. There's little reason to believe that your grades are going to get screwed over here, katsuki.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

As far as becoming professor and getting a PhD, I agree with Modern Nomad that it seems like in the social sciences the crux of the matter is more being able to tune in with the prevailing ideology/trend and produce something inside the box, unless you deal with the most complex parts - where the experts need to be out-of-the-box thinkers, lest not being able to understand the subject at all.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think we've all been in a similar-ish situation, katsuki, which is why people asked for more details, because it really depends on the details here.

If you want some helpful advice, go open your free agenda or go to your student association website, and look up your student representative. At my university, this person's title is the Student Association's Vice President Advocate. This person is an elected official who is paid to know the rights of students and to advocate on your behalf. They would guide you regarding how to appeal, how to go to senate, and how to take action in respectful ways (not to mention tell you exactly how your problem is or isn't a problem, for example, they would tell you you need to ask if you're graded on a curve, if you haven't done so yet).

People were repeatedly asking reasonable questions in an attempt to help, and you (originally) didn't answer them, or you took jibes and rolled your eyes at the people with more knowledge who were trying to help you. This was my issue with you. Do you not have any problem with this?

If you look what I quoted above, every time someone asked for more details, you might want to go over how you responded to that question.

What about being graded on a curve? Did you even answer that question? Have you asked him yet? Furthermore, once he submits his marks, senate will override his grades and curve them for you if they deem them too low.

Your professor very well could be a terrible human who is doing more harm than good. But the issue is not so black and white; the issue takes place in an established institution with protocol and elected officials whose role is solely to help guide you through the process of standing up for your rights and also not causing a big problem when perhaps some of the problem has to do with how you're attempting to solve it (aka trying to get him fired).

This goes back to what I said about developing your ethos earlier, which you rolled your eyes to. There was a reason I said all of this earlier, just like there was a reason a lot of people asked questions earlier. Your responses to the individuals who were trying to help you were immature and self-centred. I have a problem with that.
    That was the way you perceived my responses. There was a lot of intended humour in there. Unfortunately barely anyone understands it and takes my humour as me being serious.
    I did answer almost everyone on the thread but I'm really not interested in writing a wall of words explaining everything. This is why I tend to shorten my answers and thus my answers seem ignorant and immature.

As for my professor, he is one of a kind. He is a full blown stereotype. I said before, I've never seen anyone like him before in real life. It's like he hates us all and wants us to suffer.

Answer to the curve would be my last post.

I will see. Haven't checked for about a week.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I think you started the thread off a bit rough but ended up seemingly listening to people's responses. That's all that matters in the end.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

^ You make it sound like I'm faking it.