User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 219

  1. #111
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangol View Post
    If I were genuinely upset at what I considered an irrational methodology of grading by my professor, I'd definitely not rest until I am comfortable with either an acceptable explanation or resolution. I didn't have any such teachers, but my roommate did have one who sounded similar to yours. I told a professor (in the same field) I knew and trusted well about the situation, and if she could help look into the matter, as the terrible one was new and may perhaps need to get accustomed to the normal expectations of grading.

    Borrowing on some suggestions others may have said:

    Go with a fellow student or two to approach the professor during his office hours, and prepare questions you want answers to, like what his expectations are and why you didn't meet them. If his answers are unacceptable, push him to clarify and question his reasoning with your own arguments. Do not lose your cool; if anything, try to get him to lose his cool, as this is evidence that he is not capable of explaining things calmly and rationally. Do not leave until you are satisfied.
    If he will not talk to you, ask why.
    a. If it's because you're a group, say that you all have the same issue, and that he will be talked to regardless.
    b. If it's because he has no time, tell him he has to make time.
    c. If it's because he doesn't want to explain to you, talk to the dean and/or department chairs. Ask your other professors who are more trustworthy about their suggestions on handling the situation, and how best to get your concern addressed.

    If you feel it necessary (i.e. can't trust the guy to keep his word), use a recording device. Let him know you're using it and start the recording before you even talk. Get whatever he says recorded, which works out great if he refuses to talk to you. If he asks why you're resorting to using such methods, it's because you're concerned for your grade and taking the situation very seriously. Again, don't leave until you're satisfied with either the explanation or the resolution. If negotiating with the professor proves fruitless or impossible, demand that someone higher up mediate a discussion between you (and other students) and the professor, as drastically unfair grades are a concern to the well-being of students and the integrity of the department. You may change your mind about the situation, or you may get what you want. Either way, at least you'll have done what you should.

    I'm guessing that you may be faced with a statement like "well it's already far into the semester and it's too late to change your grades, deal with it", and say that trying to find out what's going on and demanding answers -is- dealing with it.


    That said, you have to be sure in your conviction that your concerns are legitimate, and keep a professional disposition about it. Have good questions and good negotiating skills. Unfortunately we can't help with the formation of those questions since there's little specifics to work with here. Try to see his reasoning, and work with it, and attempt a reconciliation of views.


    But first of all, like someone else said, there may be a curve involved. Find out if this is the case, and if so, that should suffice for you, unless there is obvious favoritism.
    What you said is very good advice. I know it was said before and it's perhaps the most reasonable thing to do but the teacher is mental
    We went to him and told him to his face he was being unfair to our grades. We insisted he remark our work. When he talks to us he gets irritated and insisting on it he says "I can't help you anymore" and he walks away.
    Continuous insisting on this person gets him shouting at you. Me and many people from my class tried to talk to him. He gets angry.

    For the explain 'x' and do 'y' I'm going to try the idea of recording what he says. I doubt the teacher would allow it though. He'll put me through hell for the rest of the semester.

  2. #112
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    well, if a professor has to teach 3 undergrad classes, he's obviously not going to be a well known researcher. Like discovering insights that will be a benefit to the world. Thats what a real professor is supposed to do.

    If a professor isn't smart enough to do that, they should at least be able to teach effectively, fun, get students excited, inspired, etc...

    If they cant' do either of the above, then they sucked some booties to get to where they are.

    Either way, thats the way life is. There's a lot of ppl in life who get where they are bc they suck up and don't provide any real usefulness to the organization or to the world. If u need the grade, u'll do whats asked of you and excel at it.
    sounds a lot like something he would do.

  3. #113
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Ragingkatsuki, PM me, we'll talk.


    One more thing, can you get your hands on $10k plus expenses??

  4. #114

  5. #115
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post

    If you teach a lot of undergrad classes, and not grad, then basically you're expected to teach, and not publish for the most part. Correct?

    You don't have to publish to get a PhD. You just have a write a thesis that helps out your thesis advisors out in their research.
    Completely incorrect.

    Where is this information from? I am at an undergrad-only university with an emphasis on teaching, and every one of my professors required several publications and numerous conference presentations before they were hired as fresh PhDs, and they are required to publish a lot while teaching as faculty, especially if they have any desire to gain tenure. I'm planning on entering academia, and all that I've read tells me this is the norm.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  6. #116
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The obsessive pedantry in your posts, is palpable.
    You have serious issues which need to be resolved.
    I came on strong because when I told the OP factual information a lot more tactfully earlier, he mocked me because he didn't believe it was true. He is either oblivious to or rebellious toward social mores.

    If he's oblivious to and rebellious of social norms here, he's also doing it IRL.

    This has no bearing on the professor in isolation from the OP, but if the OP is communicating the same way IRL he is digging his own grave. Which I told him politely earlier and he refused to believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    The OP constructed a terribly weak argument, failing to provide their audience with the proper premises to draw the same conclusion. I read the first few responses from the OP and they again failed to narrate any story convincing their audience of their position. What else can you expect?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I'm not into writing details. I expected people to take my word for it.
    That's severely problematic given the objective of your thread.

    Ethos.

    One should always take care to establish and maintain one's ethos, especially when attempting to disestablish another's ethos. Failing to do so is tantamount to spitting on the established conventions of logic, or, just plain stupid.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  7. #117
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    ^ Please don't assume what I'm like in real life.

  8. #118
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Stop being practical. I'm going to take action and get him fired. I need more ideas. I'm thinking I'll do what I said at the end of the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Why must you insist that I talk details? Can't you just take my word for it?

    Just to go with it though here's a few things:

    1. Usually the average grade grade for assignment hand-ins are 8/10. The best of the best students have gotten a range from 3-6/10 with this guy. He didn't give over a 6. Mind you, assignments are important as they determine 20% of the final grade of the subject.

    2. The guy is always right... according to him. Anything you say or submit to him is wrong. It will always be wrong. If I were the most talented guy on the subject that ever lived it would still be wrong. You are wrong even if you are Leonardo Da Vinci.

    3. If he explains something and we do it exactly as he says he says it's wrong. Where is the fucking logic in that. He explains 'y' and expects us to do 'x'.

    There's much more I can say. I'm just not in the mood put them down.

    You can imagine all the negatives of a stereotypical ESTJ and that would be a good description of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, come on, answer the question. Tell us what he does that's driving you to complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Why is he such a bad professor?
    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    There is very little that will be done in the middle of the semester unless there's an extraordinary complaint about him - he never shows up etc... Other than that, if everyone gives him a bad evaluation at the end of the semester, it will show on his record.

    Like others have asked, what is he doing/not doing that is causing distress?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Oh cmon. I had profs whose wives were going through chemo and went from totally awesome to pretty much acting like he hated all our guts (and it affected our grades). I had a prof that used to yell "YOU THINK THIS IS BULL S***" at us and "YOU THINK METALLURGY SUCKS, DONT YOU?!?!?!?" We just sat and waited for class to be over.

    Unless he is doing something illegal like Happy said you really have no reason to be acting like this.

    And just because "everyone wants him fired" doesn't mean he should be fired. This is really college you are talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    You mean this? -



    Have you considered that you might actually be wrong? Explaining something means that you back it up with evidence that is right in front of you. If you think that he is wrong and present him with that evidence how can he possibly say that it is wrong? You're doing the confronting wrong.

    Ok, I'm done with this subject and contributing to your whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Yes, I'm wrong. That's why all my peers complain about the same thing as well. They are all wrong too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    He teaches me:

    - Landscape Design
    - Interior Design
    - Architectural Design (5th one)

    The three most important subjects of my semester. If I mess up in the first two, I've got little chance to become an interior designer or landscape architect. Now the thing is there are two classes for these subjects. Each have a different teacher. University rules state I'm not allowed to attend any other than my own.

    What he is wrong about is dealing with the students in a most arrogant fashion. He will never accept ideas from them. The marks he gives aren't fair at all. A girl cried a few days back because of the mark he gave her. The thing is is that she is brilliant. The top student of the class. The teacher's reply was "she didn't do exactly as I asked" which is of course a load of bull as these subjects are all based on creativity. Also the teacher, when we talk to him likes saying the statement "It's not my problem" when he has the power to change things. There are so many more things I could put down that he does that crosses certain lines of being an at least passable professor.


    Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep trying so I can end that cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    The professor gives a sheet of steps that we have to do for the next assignment. I swear when we did the assignment exactly as the sheet told us the teacher told us we were wrong and that it should be 'something else'. We showed him the sheet he himself provided to us. And he still insisted that it was wrong without any explanation why. We were like "WTF? It says it right here on the sheet you provided." He said "no, it's still wrong. sorry, you'll lose half your grade" No matter what we explain he is close-minded about it. Very very Stubborn.

    Haven't thought of this. Yes, other teachers respect me quite a bit. It would be good if I talked to them about it. The thing though is that it would take a while and I doubt many of the other professors would do anything.

    I unfortunately don't have a college web forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I'm not into writing details. I expected people to take my word for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Because if you haven't established your good character and your fair and reasonably accurate perception of reality (or at least narrated your story in such a way as to lead your audience to believe these things), your audience, by default, presumes a lot of things.

    Your audience presumes your character to be in line with the whiny immature brats on junior high television dramas. They presume that instead of handling the bumpy events of life with maturity, that you choose to throw your hands in the air and throw a tantrum.

    If you fail to narrate a convincing ethos, your audience presumes you're unequipped to deal with adulthood, and that all of the problems you articulate are projections of your own failures rather than a reflection of anything to do with the authority figure which you fail to see eye to eye with.


    The way that you now say, "I sometimes feel as if I'm talking to children trying to guide them through my experiences and thought processes," and the way that you failed to provide any evidence when Elaur asked for it suggests that the problem lies with you more than the problem lies with your professor, which is why a lot of the responses are given with that view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Yes. You're right. The problem lies with me. I'll do my best to fix it.
    I'm fully aware of how my posts sound. They sound arrogant, immature and ignorant. Many apologies for it.

    To put things in a simpler form:
    That teacher is affecting my future. It is on a semester that is really important to me. That teacher is in charge of 60% of my final grades on the three most important subjects in the semester. Even if I work hard the teacher doesn't give good results. The hardest workers in class get results of below average students. These are some of the reasons I want him fired.
    Gross ignorance of the university system and why the guy was hired--to be clear: he's a researcher and writer, and only third or fourth on his job description does "teaching" appear (no big deal) + rolling his eyes at people politely trying to tell him otherwise = a lack of faith in the OP's story as told for the first several dozen posts before editing.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  9. #119
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    ^ Please don't assume what I'm like in real life.
    Nobody's assuming anything- they're going on your words.

    We went to him and told him to his face he was being unfair to our grades. We insisted he remark our work. When he talks to us he gets irritated and insisting on it he says "I can't help you anymore" and he walks away.
    Continuous insisting on this person gets him shouting at you. Me and many people from my class tried to talk to him. He gets angry.
    If you ever approached him in a friendly, non-confrontational manner, without "insisting" that he do what you demand, you haven't mentioned it yet. It's really not surprising that a professor (esp. one who isn't such a great teacher, which as Usehername has mentioned is only one aspect of a professor's job) would react that way to students when they approach him with demands.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #120
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Gross ignorance of the university system and why the guy was hired--to be clear: he's a researcher and writer, and only third or fourth on his job description does "teaching" appear (no big deal) + rolling his eyes at people politely trying to tell him otherwise = a lack of faith in the OP's story as told for the first several dozen posts before editing.
    So you would be totally alright if you had a teacher that treats the whole class like shit and is extremely unfair in grading? I don't care if he is a researcher or knows everything about what he teaches. If he doesn't do the teaching well, he shouldn't teach in the first place.

Similar Threads

  1. Can my father get into grad school with a felony?
    By The Great One in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
  2. This is just beginning to get on my nerves...
    By MerkW in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
  3. Somethings I need to get off my chest
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO