12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Default ENFJ + Law = What Major?!

I'm in my first year of university and I seem to be having a great deal of trouble deciding on a major. My long-term goal is to go into law school so I have great flexibility on the major I wish to pursue. I've compiled a mini-list of things that I deem important:

1. How good will this major serve me if I decide not to goto law school?
    2. Do I enjoy it?!
    3. How applicable is it to a law degree?

These are the majors I'm considering right now (In no particular order):

A. English
    B. Psychology
    C. Philosophy

I'm basically looking for any insight on the degrees and maybe what would work best for the ENFJ mbti type. I know it's hard to decide this for someone you have never met before but I find that any insight I can get will be helpful.
    Also I'm open to other major if a valid case can be presented!

Thanks for the help!
    "That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

Enneagram
    1w2

I was an English major in undergrad (Language and Linguistics NOT Literature ), but had enough credits in Psychology, Education, and Communication to get certificates (my college's equivalent of a minor) in all three.

I attended a LSAC career fair earlier this year LSAC.org Homepage and talked to several representatives and advisers from various law schools. The general consensus was there isn't one particular major that would help you, they stressed having a well-rounded education more than anything, but their website says:
    Course selection also can make a difference in admission evaluations. Applicants who have taken difficult or advanced courses in their undergraduate study often are evaluated in a more favorable light than students who have concentrated on easier or less advanced subjects.
    I'm not sure how they define "difficult" or "advanced," if it means choosing a harder major (which really depends on your strengths) or difficult classes within your major. For example, I tried to get an English externship with my state legislature that counted as 500-level (grad level) course in undergrad (sigh, I was rejected). So maybe it's the college equivalent of advanced placement or something. And you don't have to have just one major either depending on how you can swing it. I was on the six year plan in school so I took a lot of classes in different subjects.

Best thing to do right now is see when a law school career fair comes around attend some of the workshops, talk to the counselors or pre-law advisers at your school, and become aware of your options. I also know that when I was at the LSAC fair they discussed going to a regional law school that typically specializes in an issue for a regional area (or if you know you're only going to practice in a certain area), what you can do with your J.D. if you don't pass the bar (a lot!!), and some other stuff I can't remember right now.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

From what I have read in law school forums the only major that they really scale at all is Engineering. Anything else they just take your straight GPA and LSAT score.

There is a workshop coming up for future law students that I'm going to attend and hopefully they can give me some good information.
    "That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

Glycerine

For the difficulty of the class, you can always ask your professors if you can do an honors project. Instead of receiving an A, you get an HA. This would probably look good on your transcripts regardless of what major you decide to go into. If you take several honors courses, then you will probably have an edge over many applicants.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I'm looking to do an honours degree for whatever I decide to major in. Decisions ... x.x

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Best majors to prepare you for Law School:

1) Prelaw (if your school has it)
    2) Political Science (lots of writing and reading, have to think globally)
    3) philosophy (argument practice)
    4) english (writing and reading)

Edit: psychology would also be awesome, but take it in addition to one of the others listed as a minor or second major.

MBTI
    ENTp

hi i did an honors in commerce and then law. there is a subject in law called jurisprudence (i found it the most interesting, comes in the last year of law school), its basis is philosophy and it underlays the entire fabric of law. so philosophy is good out of the list you give.

psychology would be good as well specially if you want to go in the criminal law side.
    Type 8 sx/sp/so
    O:C:E:A:N :: 65:69:59:57:9

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

ENFJ is not a good personality fit for law, IMO. The ENFJs we have around here cry a lot.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    ENFJ is not a good personality fit for law, IMO. The ENFJs we have around here cry a lot.
    Wow, really? I need to meet some more ENFJs!

I rarely cry unless it's about something I'm very passionate about. Like if I'm frustrated at myself about my career progress, or a project I spent a ton of energy on. And that's coming from a female. lol

Personally I'm not sure if I would have trouble working in law with my sense of right and wrong justice, or I would feel sorry for people who weren't my clients. And I don't have the patience to go to years of law school.

But if you can get through the school, sounds like a glamorous job. Lots of great intellectual challenges, and problem solving!

I vote for you to study the psychology side of law, since learning what makes people tick and their view on life is interesting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I've read this as well. NF idealism gets them there, breaks their heart, and moves them on to something else.

Don't laugh at me, but have you though about math as a major??? I've read thats its actually a great major, in the sense that it uses lots of logic. Or maybe its just a good major as prep for the LSAT??? I can totally see either polisci or philosophy as good prep too.