User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Thanks for all of the input. Seems everyone has the same thoughts about the majors as I do.

Also, I think an ENFJ getting into law really has to make sure there is an area that they are very interested in or can see themselves working in that fits with their moral structure. Personally, I'm looking at patent law right now with my comp. eng. background.

slumdogtrillionare, what are your views on English as a major?

Most people say just pick something you have a passion for... I'm finding this task proving rather difficult.
    "That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

MBTI
    ENTp

passion is always good and for that you're already doing law! law course has some realistic papers and some idealistic papers. the idealism will make you ungrounded so select a course which balances it. but if you want to totally float away into romantics territory then fiction or philosophy will be great. But i'd go with English if it were based more on current and contemporary writings. Mostly consider English if the course is non fiction and based in real life.
    Type 8 sx/sp/so
    O:C:E:A:N :: 65:69:59:57:9

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

I just noticed you have the same enneagram type as me Slumdog. The thing is I think ENFJs are going to be idealistic about anything we do... we're always going to prop things up to unreachable heights. The only career I see that could actually embrace blatant idealism is writing haha.
    "That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

MBTI
    ENTp

LOL yeah we are going to be idealistic.... aaah life is not easy to accept without our rose tinted shades! but yeah 3w2 should help stay glued to momma earth

writing is a fine fine career too, whatever u pick you'll be a hit!
    Type 8 sx/sp/so
    O:C:E:A:N :: 65:69:59:57:9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

English in general is good for law school, think linguistics might even be better. If can be applied as your general ed consider taking some real property/real estate classes as your elective courses.

However if you like Criminal law some Administration of Justice may be helpful in getting the extra leverage to get a job after law school.

(in general getting though ones general ed requirement is a pragmatic path to take in case you, like so many others do, have a change of heart as to what their major will be.)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Irony. Patent law's my field. Your first couple years of patent law, you're stuck in an office the size of a closet writing patent applications. Have you ever read any patent applications? Could you write that stuff all day every day for a few years?

Plus, you have to have a degree in a hard science to be a patent lawyer. And you have to take the patent bar.

It's tedious, detailed work. It's really not glamourous at all.

To be a good lawyer, you have to be able to defend a case from any side. Litigation is for competitive people who like to win and who get intellectual pleasure from figuring out where the loophole or the catch is that will let them win. Really good lawyers are not always thinking about what is right. They're thinking about how to win the case for the client. It's nice when the two go together, but if they don't, the super competent lawyers I've seen don't lose any sleep over it. It's a puzzle to figure out. They do what they have to do to defend their client's position and are not emotionally attached.

Not trying to be a buzz-stomper, trying to help. I'm answering you honestly from being a legal secretary for a couple of decades now in patent law firms, working very closely with attorneys doing US prosecution and for the past few years, litigation before the International Trade Commission.

FWIW

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Great post Tiltyred, if you have any extra information about anything in the field I would be happy to hear anything.

To be a good lawyer, you have to be able to defend a case from any side. Litigation is for competitive people who like to win and who get intellectual pleasure from figuring out where the loophole or the catch is that will let them win. Really good lawyers are not always thinking about what is right. They're thinking about how to win the case for the client. It's nice when the two go together, but if they don't, the super competent lawyers I've seen don't lose any sleep over it. It's a puzzle to figure out. They do what they have to do to defend their client's position and are not emotionally attached.
    The first part seems very natural to me. I'm competitive and enjoy looking at and defending multiple positions.

The emotional attachment part/morals is what I worry about. Sigh.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

English is the most practical, I think, if you decide to go for something else later and will give you great strength in learning to make convincing arguments from either side, as you will constantly do in writing English papers.

Personally I couldn't do law. I would love to, I even think I have the ability to argue and speak and be "on stage." It would cripple me emotionally, though. I realistically have no way of staying detatched in a way that would be required for my continued mental or emotional stability.

Good luck to you...