User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

No question that Ibanking, PE, and VC are all about what school you went to. But they also represent a small share of high paying jobs, and to work in those fields, you have to live in superexpensive NYC, or maybe SF or Boston.

Moreover, top school SJs and Fs all get weeded out. Few women last more than 5 years, and SJs who like order and structure often end up in consulting and accounting. Big 4 accounting firms in NYC are filled with SJ I-banking refugees who are better off making sure spreadsheets are done accurately than advising someone on whether they should invest $150 million in another company.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

In response to the OP I have two thoughts:

1) See this is why people should not vote Republican. It only perpetuates this type of crap.

2) Life isn't fair, but you can still be successful. There are people out there that will have everything handed to them, and you will likely never have as much as they do. However you can still be very successful on your own merits. If you've studied finance then you know the simple act of saving and investing wisely will greatly increase your wealth over an extended period of time. A good income will increase this process even more, which I am sure you are capable of earning.

You can be very successful simply on your own merits. Will you be "billionaire" successful? I doubt it, but you can still create a fairly impressive level of success without all the right family connections. On the other hand obsessing over how unfair life is will only hold you back. Does the easy success of others devalue your own well earned success?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    YaYa

Even though I find Finance fascinating from an Academic standpoint, this is how I knew I could never work in it. As an INTP, I just couldn't fake it that long. I worked with some of these douche bags very shortly. I was pretty unhappy.

Edit:

I work at a Top Tier university and it is crazy to see some of the things the Biz students will do to put on their resume. They'll start The Small Business Club where they just sit around and put their thumbs up their ass. Then at Grad, they put down they were the "president" of yada yada yada.

It really is about who you know in life. George Bush(little bush) is a prime example.

MBTI
    INTJ

to the OP: From my point of view, it sounds like you are pretty high up in the caste system. Try to enjoy it.

My parents tried and failed to move up from their working class roots. I did the same, so far with similar results. By the time I began to understand how the world works and what is required to be financially successful, it was far too late to do it by any conventional means. I used to be pretty bitter about my position in the caste system. Still, I had to admit that I was a lot better off than a lot of the people with whom I grew up. My stellar career as a diesel truck mechanic is actually quite a bit better than average in my meth-riddled-southern-Appalachain-dead-coal-mining town.

When I finished my second year of community college, I realized that I could only afford one more semester before I would be flat broke again. I decided that I needed money NOW, not five years from now. So I got a job repairing trucks on a military base in Iraq, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. About half of my coworkers were American. There were also lots of Bosnians, Indians, Sri Lankans, Nepalese, and Filipinos, and individuals from various other poor countries. Most of them worked for subcontractors that paid much less than I made in the States. They made roughly 15% as much money as I did for basically the same work, and they considered it good money. After getting to know those guys and hearing their stories and getting the occasional first-hand look at third-world conditions, I can no longer be bitter about my socioeconomic position. At all. I have it made. In the shade.

In a few weeks I'm headed to Afghanistan for a similar job that pays significantly more than my last one. It pays more than I ever thought I would make. I'll try my damndest to use the money wisely, but it's never going to make me rich. I will be able to retire someday, though. My vast new found wealth is partly due to my ability and willingness to work, but mostly it's due to my American passport. I was born in the right place at the right time. I've got it made.
    Last edited by Montag; 10-19-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: grammar upgrade

MBTI
    ENFJ

I always kind of thought to move out of your caste in America it required a little creativity?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

It ain't that easy. I know lots of creative poor people.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Montag View Post
    It ain't that easy. I know lots of creative poor people.
    I'm not saying that creativity is a guarantee for getting rich -- I'm just saying that doing things right by a prescribed method isn't usually how people get out of their caste if they do.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I always kind of thought to move out of your caste in America it required a little creativity?
    I'm going to second the fact that some of the most creative, interesting, sensitive people here are poor.

Yes, it's absolutely a way to break out of your caste. If you're lucky.

MBTI
    istp

why do you need to be rich?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    There is more to life than making bazillions of dollars.
    This