Socionics
    ENTj

What did you do as undegrad, Babylon?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

There is more to life than making bazillions of dollars. Engineers, science/tech, IT, management, and MBA's all make nothing to sneeze at income, as do lawyers, doctors, dentists, and the like. As research has shown, once one has enough money to afford housing [ie roof over your head and enough to eat, there is no correlation whatsoever between income and personal happiness. Though OTHER research has shown that millionaires are happier than non-millionaires. Anyways, regardless, there is more to life than making oodles of money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What did you do as undegrad, Babylon?
    i graduate this year from undergrad.

double major in Econ/Bio (I originally wanted to be pre-med). Econ GPA 3.8, overall 3.4 (im trying to raise it to a 3.5 by the time I graduate). Im at a second tier school and I dont really have any internships/summer jobs that are applicable to "a real job" (I had to take jobs that paid...where I live that was being in charge of a bunch of kids during the summer).

I have been building some equities trading models in my spare time (using Excel + yahoo...i plan on using some VBA stuff too).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    There is more to life than making bazillions of dollars. Engineers, science/tech, IT, management, and MBA's all make nothing to sneeze at income, as do lawyers, doctors, dentists, and the like. As research has shown, once one has enough money to afford housing [ie roof over your head and enough to eat, there is no correlation whatsoever between income and personal happiness. Though OTHER research has shown that millionaires are happier than non-millionaires. Anyways, regardless, there is more to life than making oodles of money.
    even if thats true. I just dont want to be a failure. external rewards/recognitions are extremely important to me. I also dont want to be living in debt my whole life like most americans do.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh my God.

So you noticed it too?!

Everyone else told me I was just imagining it. Let's just say I'm in the lowest caste... Probably why I can't find a job.

Even applications for fast food jobs are too competitive, these days. Seriously. I'm being cheated and screwed over.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    unless you're at a top tier uni (stanford/MIT/Berkely/Ivy League), wouldnt computer sci be one of the more outsource-able jobs?
    dunno, not sure.

but ivy league CS majors are kinda down there in the lower tiers. Ivy league isn't exactly science savvy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    dunno, not sure.

but ivy league CS majors are kinda down there in the lower tiers. Ivy league isn't exactly science savvy.
    notice how almost no where in the OP did I mention actual skill sets being important to the first tier....

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    This is what I was thinking as I read this.

However, the point of putting multiple kids through college as being impossible with a middle class income is something that I believe needs to be fixed.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    even if thats true. I just dont want to be a failure. external rewards/recognitions are extremely important to me. I also dont want to be living in debt my whole life like most americans do.
    You seem to be coming at this like their are only two castes: 1) the richest people out there, and 2) everyone else. This is obviously EXTREMELY simplistic.

The "secret" to not being in debt is to spend less than you earn, not necessarily to make as much money as possible.

I salute your ambition, the business likes ambition. That will take you places.

MBTI
    INTJ

If you didn't read this book, you should:

Class: A Guide Through the American Status System:Amazon:Books
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.