• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need help Im broke

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Where would I go for welfare advice?

I would have come over here or gone to a different part of the globe had I know, but the time seemed right to leave, Ive always wanted to be here and I listened to all the heresay of how east I'd find it...

Thanks Athenian and Spamtar. What I need to hear.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
throw a big party at your place and charge for drinks

Oh yeeeeah, make your apartment some hip underground club. If you get kicked out, well, you probably were going to have to leave anyway. :cheese:

LEGERdeMAIN

Seriously, I've been down and out before and I've always been able to come out on top. I would suggest moving to a winter tourist destination, i.e. ski resort.

bartenders at ski resorts make good money. If all else fails, get a job as a "food server" during the day and work at a gas station at night or use the last of your money to buy camping gear and dried meat and fruit and nuts and make your way down the Appalachian Trail until you get to Atlanta, then, buy a bus ticket to Dallas. Then get a job as a bartender and live off of the interest.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Have you tried playing to your strength of being a foreigner in New York? How about seeking out a British-themed bar or restaurant? There have to be some of those somewhere in New York.

Telephone Bar & Grill - E. Village - Details and Reader Reviews - The New York Times

Telephone Bar & Grill, New York City, NY : Reviews of Telephone Bar & Grill - Yahoo! Travel

Just do a Google search or ask around. You may have already tried this, but if not, your background of having come from Britain should be an asset to help get you into such a place. Just an idea.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but you might try visiting your consulate to see what help/services they could provide? (Not sure about this, due to the dual-citizenship if that's how it works even...)

Edit: I also wanted to add that you need to avoid, at all costs, coming across as desparate. Everything you can do to avoid feeling desparate, you should do. Everyone feels desparate at times, but you absolutely need to "shake it off" before walking into a bar to apply for a job. There are many ways you could do this. For example, check out a book of jokes from the library (something you've skimmed and found truly funny) and carry it everywhere with you and read a few jokes before you walk into the bar to pick yourself up. This will transport your mind to another place/time for a brief period of time. The think to remember to is that you can always fall back on feeling desparate again after you walk out of the joint: you just need to be confident while applying. And, you need to see every application you make as a success. To not apply would be to fail. If you apply, and you do not have a job yet, you simply have not succeeded yet but you have not failed either. So, see every application as a success and build confidence upon that. Save desparation for some other time when you have important business at hand. :)

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
ORangeappled, the probably-get-kicked-out-attitude-anyway attitude is not helping, I need positive thoughts sent my way! Wish on your eyelashes for me : D

I have indeed been staying positive, fortunately I've been getting into watching comedy and it is a saving grace. The other day I walked out of a guy who was unreasonably keeping me waiting and it felt empowering and I was that much more confidant at the next place. I'm really banking on a place at the moment as they are hiring soon and I hope I didnt pitch it too eager... It's definately a downside to all the extra effort Ive been putting in. It's tough and so much is out of my control.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Thanks for all the advice and comments it's helping, a bit like a message in a bottle when Im out at sea
Waiting for a boat to pass while the sharks are closing in.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hang in there man. :hug: Sounds like you are walking down the right track, just keep walking. :)

I just read this:

Thanks for all the advice and comments it's helping, a bit like a message in a bottle when Im out at sea
Waiting for a boat to pass while the sharks are closing in.

Then looked at your avatar. Highly symbolic!!

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
If you've made some friends it would be a good time to pull a favor for a place to stay. Make yourself as unobtrusive as possible.

If not, you have a couple weeks to really hit the pavement. Apply for everything. Be shameless. Any job is better than living on the street. To cut costs I'd highly recommend finding someone renting a room, a cheap room.

And failing that, well, I'd go back to the UK and impose on family. Living on the streets of New York in the winter sounds hellish.

LEGERdeMAIN

to cut costs, limit your diet to rice, dried beans, flour and eggs. borrow sugar, salt and condiments from neighbors...also, you could eat the dandelions that grow in the cracks in between slabs of concrete.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Well the good news is, I got a job! The bad news, there isn't any. Woohoo! I'm not going to be on the cold street.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well the good news is, I got a job! The bad news, there isn't any. Woohoo! I'm not going to be on the cold street.

Yay! :smile:

You did it! I'm really happy for you.

I was just about to comment about not wanting to take risks for fear of ending up like you, too. Guess I'll have to eat those words...

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Yay! :smile:

You did it! I'm really happy for you.

I was just about to comment about not wanting to take risks for fear of ending up like you, too. Guess I'll have to eat those words...

Exactly. I thought about stories of people who take risks and it works out at the last minute and that how it's a good story only if it does happen and it seemed like it easily could not have. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone else but when I told my sister she wasn't the least bit worried like I thought she should be, she was only saying how lucky I am and other people would love to be doing it. The other thing is I wouldn't have regretted it had it not worked out, I just couldn't imagine still being where I was, choosing this risk seemed like the only option. I know it sounds all well and good me saying this now, but all these thoughts ran through my head before. What is easy to say is things work out in the end, but I think it's more that if you have it in you it will work out. To change and adapt.

But I'm curious now what your risk is?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
New York City is hard. Even for an American. Good luck....

Have you considered exotic dancing?

Oh, nevermind, I see that you got a job. Yay!

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Exotic dancing... Hmmmm. I got offered another job today but had to turn it down, never rains but it pours, I asked if I could just have the money.