User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Where would I go for welfare advice?

I would have come over here or gone to a different part of the globe had I know, but the time seemed right to leave, Ive always wanted to be here and I listened to all the heresay of how east I'd find it...

Thanks Athenian and Spamtar. What I need to hear.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

throw a big party at your place and charge for drinks

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    throw a big party at your place and charge for drinks
    Oh yeeeeah, make your apartment some hip underground club. If you get kicked out, well, you probably were going to have to leave anyway.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Seriously, I've been down and out before and I've always been able to come out on top. I would suggest moving to a winter tourist destination, i.e. ski resort.

bartenders at ski resorts make good money. If all else fails, get a job as a "food server" during the day and work at a gas station at night or use the last of your money to buy camping gear and dried meat and fruit and nuts and make your way down the Appalachian Trail until you get to Atlanta, then, buy a bus ticket to Dallas. Then get a job as a bartender and live off of the interest.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Have you tried playing to your strength of being a foreigner in New York? How about seeking out a British-themed bar or restaurant? There have to be some of those somewhere in New York.

Telephone Bar & Grill - E. Village - Details and Reader Reviews - The New York Times

Telephone Bar & Grill, New York City, NY : Reviews of Telephone Bar & Grill - Yahoo! Travel

Just do a Google search or ask around. You may have already tried this, but if not, your background of having come from Britain should be an asset to help get you into such a place. Just an idea.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but you might try visiting your consulate to see what help/services they could provide? (Not sure about this, due to the dual-citizenship if that's how it works even...)

Edit: I also wanted to add that you need to avoid, at all costs, coming across as desparate. Everything you can do to avoid feeling desparate, you should do. Everyone feels desparate at times, but you absolutely need to "shake it off" before walking into a bar to apply for a job. There are many ways you could do this. For example, check out a book of jokes from the library (something you've skimmed and found truly funny) and carry it everywhere with you and read a few jokes before you walk into the bar to pick yourself up. This will transport your mind to another place/time for a brief period of time. The think to remember to is that you can always fall back on feeling desparate again after you walk out of the joint: you just need to be confident while applying. And, you need to see every application you make as a success. To not apply would be to fail. If you apply, and you do not have a job yet, you simply have not succeeded yet but you have not failed either. So, see every application as a success and build confidence upon that. Save desparation for some other time when you have important business at hand.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

ORangeappled, the probably-get-kicked-out-attitude-anyway attitude is not helping, I need positive thoughts sent my way! Wish on your eyelashes for me : D

I have indeed been staying positive, fortunately I've been getting into watching comedy and it is a saving grace. The other day I walked out of a guy who was unreasonably keeping me waiting and it felt empowering and I was that much more confidant at the next place. I'm really banking on a place at the moment as they are hiring soon and I hope I didnt pitch it too eager... It's definately a downside to all the extra effort Ive been putting in. It's tough and so much is out of my control.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Thanks for all the advice and comments it's helping, a bit like a message in a bottle when Im out at sea
    Waiting for a boat to pass while the sharks are closing in.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Hang in there man. Sounds like you are walking down the right track, just keep walking.

I just read this:

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and comments it's helping, a bit like a message in a bottle when Im out at sea
    Waiting for a boat to pass while the sharks are closing in.
    Then looked at your avatar. Highly symbolic!!
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INTx

If you've made some friends it would be a good time to pull a favor for a place to stay. Make yourself as unobtrusive as possible.

If not, you have a couple weeks to really hit the pavement. Apply for everything. Be shameless. Any job is better than living on the street. To cut costs I'd highly recommend finding someone renting a room, a cheap room.

And failing that, well, I'd go back to the UK and impose on family. Living on the streets of New York in the winter sounds hellish.

to cut costs, limit your diet to rice, dried beans, flour and eggs. borrow sugar, salt and condiments from neighbors...also, you could eat the dandelions that grow in the cracks in between slabs of concrete.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”