User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm sorry . Seeing the savings drain when jobless is such a bummer.

Try the temp agencies, and apply at every business you see. Even minimum wage jobs are hard to nab lately though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Just throwing out ideas...

• Talk/network with other bartenders
    • Get feedback from them: maybe your strategy, approach, or presentation is wrong and that's why you're not getting hired
    • Look in yellow page phone book for "temp agency"
    • Head out to the suburbs if the hunting in the city is no good
    • Try applying at some chain restaurants: Olive Garden, Max & Erma's, Applebees
    • Just get any job you can to get some income
    • Hospitals and universities seem to always need some kind of help
    • See if there's a friend who will let you stay for a month for low or no rent
    Universites and hospitals sounds good... The thing with applebees and that king of thing my resume is too good. I've given it to some bars and they tell me to hit the upper east side, where there is zilch. I am rewriting my CV and blitzing it tomorrow. I would do anything, but I even saw a job advertised as a 'sandwich artist' wanted. ' : /
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Universites and hospitals sounds good... The thing with applebees and that king of thing my resume is too good. I've given it to some bars and they tell me to hit the upper east side, where there is zilch. I am rewriting my CV and blitzing it tomorrow. I would do anything, but I even saw a job advertised as a 'sandwich artist' wanted. ' : /
    Create several versions of your resume. You need to "dumb it down" for the little jobs, or else, yeah, they know you're overqualified and will bail as soon as a better opportunity comes along. Some jobs, don't even bother with a resume. Just fill out their application; that's all they expect.

Keep in mind, this is coming from another unemployed person
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

OrangeAppled gives good advice. I was going to post the same thing. Even at higher levels, people "dumb down" their resume. I have a friend who casually omitted her PhD from her resume and application because she wanted a job where she didn't need her PhD!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Just throwing out ideas...

• Talk/network with other bartenders
    • Get feedback from them: maybe your strategy, approach, or presentation is wrong and that's why you're not getting hired
    • Look in yellow page phone book for "temp agency"
    • Head out to the suburbs if the hunting in the city is no good
    • Try applying at some chain restaurants: Olive Garden, Max & Erma's, Applebees
    • Just get any job you can to get some income
    • Hospitals and universities seem to always need some kind of help
    • See if there's a friend who will let you stay for a month for low or no rent

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

There's not much work in the U.S. right now. You might have been better off staying in the U.K. and going on the dole while you sought work. It's a lot harder to get on welfare here (our equivalent of the dole) than there, from what I've heard.

I'd say, first of all, drop your standards and expectations. Don't limit yourself to looking for jobs you want, or jobs you have experience with. Be willing to accept minimum wage, and find a way to live on it. In other words, if you've been paying $1000+ for an apartment in New York, you've got to find some way to quit doing that. I don't know how, and I don't know what the heck New Yorkers do, but you'll have to. It's a horribly expensive way to live, and it's not feasible unless you have a *good* job.

First of all, try to get on some kind of welfare program. Your situation might be desperate enough that you qualify. It's worth a shot.

It might be cheaper to use UPS Mailbox service (an improved P.O. Box) as your "permanent mailing address," and free yourself up to sleep wherever you can find. If you're bad off enough, you might need to get a gym membership with a gym that has a shower and a locker as well, so you can store your essential belongings and shower after you've slept in the street (though I'd think surely someone out there would be willing to help so you wouldn't have to). In this case, you'll want to get library memberships so you can do research online, in the newspapers and such, etc. The biggest priority is making sure you have access to a shower and a change of clothes. That's actually more important than having a safe place to sleep, or even food (it's water you can't live without, and water is free) despite what your instincts might tell you, because that's what you need to get hired.

New York is an unreasonably expensive place to live, from what I've read. There's not an apartment there that costs less than $1000, not even a cockroach-infested one that's been horribly maintained. It's too bad you didn't come to a cheaper area that wouldn't have eaten your money so quickly.

Good luck. Humanity is a completely unfair and screwed up thing during bad economic times. They force and hold you backwards, prevent you from getting ahead. I personally think the people who already have jobs and experience have used their positions to conspire to keep new workers from entering the workforce.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

A lot of good stuff has been said make note. See if a friend can hook you up with a job, even part time or handyman, cash lasts longer while money coming in.
    Check out craigslist for new jobs as they appear. See if you can find a headhunter to assist you. Go around in person to places that are hiring, with a bunch of resumes and a stapler, don't spend time filling out the application just staple your CV and move on to the next.
    Mediate and focus and write out of list of what you are going to do to get a job and the longest you can before you run out of cash. Have a bail out date to leave you apartment and head back to UK without blowing your renter history credit in the U.S.
    Consider telling your parents or close relative. Everybody fucks up or gets some point in their life, fear only messes it up more. It is common courtesy if the worst case scenario happens and most likely they will want to help you/mitigate your damages because they love you.
    Stay positive and outwardly detached like it was a game. Write a diary so when you get the cool job and have a bad day you can look back to this time and say whew!

God Bless
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Didn't mean to post that twice. Will nothing go right !!!! :'

Thanks OA good advice, that did cross my mind. I'll see what I can come up with on the rewrite.

On another note, I did wonder if my Latino surname a could hold me back because in the UK it's exotic but here it's a different story. I don't know, I'm not up on that kind of thing here. Ps I don't mean to offend anyone with that, I'm just being pragmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    On another note, I did wonder if my Latino surname a could hold me back because in the UK it's exotic but here it's a different story. I don't know, I'm not up on that kind of thing here. Ps I don't mean to offend anyone with that, I'm just being pragmatic.
    Might be a mark against you some places with some people. Maybe try using it (and your ethnicity?) to your advantage at a Mexican or Italian (or whatever) place which tries for an authentic image?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Where would I go for welfare advice?

I would have come over here or gone to a different part of the globe had I know, but the time seemed right to leave, Ive always wanted to be here and I listened to all the heresay of how east I'd find it...

Thanks Athenian and Spamtar. What I need to hear.