• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jobs for NJs

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I'm looking through jobs and I feel like I fall in-between the stereotypically creative NP ones and the stereotypically corporate/administrative SJ ones.

I'm not sure whether I have too binary a take on things or whether my outlook is too negative and I should think of NJness as the best of both worlds rather than not quite the most capable in either of them. Right now it just feels like I lack the flexibility to roll with NP things and lack the thoroughness and practical sense of the SJ. Or put differently, the NP job doesn't satisfy my need for structure and a certain seriousness whereas the SJ job seems stifling.

Can you give me some examples of jobs that might satisfy both sides of the NJ? Or should the NJ just pick one and try to infuse the unused aspect into it?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Yeah, I'm looking for a new job too and I'm finding the exact type of language in the job descriptions as well. What I'm finding especially amusing/frustrating is the typical "must be detail-oriented and yet able to see larger organizational needs" or "must be able to working independently with little supervision and still be team player." If I'm working on a project for three months alone I start getting really bored

I'm trying to focus on are jobs that have a project/program management or development trajectory that are still within a new initiative phase, maybe a few years out from launch. Preferably in a field that's going to gain even more importance in the future. Those types of jobs tend to be more open to trying something new but they still have a goal and structure to work with. I figure with them still being new, I can satisfy my desire for creativity and not be so strictly hierarchical.

It depends on what jobs are available in your area really. I'm in DC and there are so many lobbyists and non-profits around in nearly any area of interest and it's a lot of stimulus money to be had. Program management and government contracts are really big.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
You are introverted too, which adds another wrinkle. I'd categorize NJ friendly jobs as those that allow you optimize or problem solve. There will be boring data collection up front in any job like that though, before the brainstorming or innovating can take place. That would make it a blend of SJ and NP skills and I agree with you that NJ bridges that.

Since you weren't specific about your interests I can't be much more specific either. Look for something with large amounts of data that needs to be analyzed and systems that need to be optimized.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I'm in need of feedback on this topic as well.

I did enjoy my most recent position as a systems tester/analyst - finding bugs in code and having my hands in both the technical side of the business as well as the business side (but thank god no customer service to deal with), and I enjoyed the analysis aspect of all of it and trying to make things as clear/efficient as possible, and honing in on the larger design and system issues; the ability to look more big-picture at system implications down the road given one design, vs. the other. However, I found myself growing weary of the job after just 1.5 years, as I felt by that point I had a good grasp of everything and by that point had started to become bored. The whole Project process was becoming predictable, and I wasn't as challenged.

I guess, although I'm not crazy about computer work in the long haul and corporate culture annoys me, it's been the best fit for me so far. I have yet to come up with a specific job/career that I could see myself not only challenged in, but also reasonably happy with, in the long run.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
If it helps:
  • My INTJ friend does entertainment management (development and some producing). He's just starting out but enjoys it so far.
  • My INFJ friend coordinates public health projects specifically HIV/AIDS programs
  • My other INFJ friend does program managment for special populations at the Veteran's Administration
  • My other INTJ friend is educational and instructional designer....something about designing websites I'm not sure
  • I'm a education program coordinator for psychologists and psychiatrists

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Thanks so far. It's good to know I'm not the only one that's dilemma-fied.

Since you weren't specific about your interests I can't be much more specific either. Look for something with large amounts of data that needs to be analyzed and systems that need to be optimized.

I'm open to a lot, but my education is in linguistics and literature.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think NJs work well in jobs that let them both develop some technical expertise in a particular topic, as well as relating to some other "object" (be it an organization, a natural setting, a programming language) in a big-picture way. INXJ make innovative researchers and good consultants, but probably are less well-suited for management jobs. ENXJs are typically innovative entrepreneurs and/or get into management in a more technical setting, even though I've also seen many of them becoming actors (it seems to be nonsensical, but I suppose Ni helps a lot in the profession).

While I study, I'm working as a freelance translator. I love the job, because I have freedom to work when I want to, be paid for my productivity and not some bullshit fixed salary, and I don't have to deal with bureucracy. But they pay is only good for a student - I'll keep on doing it as a side-job, ideally, while I do something that is more stable/pays better. My ideas are either to work in finance, as a researcher/consultant for banks (thus, professional - not bank employee), or - completely unrelated - become an officer in the italian equivalent of the "rangers" and work at the development and sustainability of natural parks in the mountains of my region of origin. I would probably be happier in the latter job, but the former would likely be more lucrative.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Ni helps see different perspectives of things, thus it's easier to put on a mask. It makes acting easier if you can make yourself 'think' you are the character in the story.

The above information is useful because I'll be leaving childhood behind for the real world within a year or so. I don't have much of a clue on how to get into certain positions besides the vague 'start low and build up with work.'

My current ideas are maybe being an architect (planning, perfecting, AND creativity there... but the math involved... ugh), counselling of some kind or maybe an AFS coordinator. I still have plans open.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
A place where they want your ideas
Projects with closure
continued growth in knowledge and responsibility
Independence and flexibility

Avoid anything where you're ot do as you're told...

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Academia seems to be a great fit for NJs (or so I'm told by NJ profs).

Physics is CHOCK-full of them, I'm sure engineering is up to their ears in them too.

Research definitely has LOTS of NTJ's, but you'd need some sort of technical background first I'm sure. IF you can deal with the monotony/boredom, I'm sure NJ's would make good equipment operators...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'd kill myself rather than get into research. Years of sitting and discussing about minute details of a really specific subject...oh my god. Shoot me now.

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think writing is the perfect career for NJs.

N: used for the imaginative concepts/storyline (non-fiction/fiction).
J: The dedication to actually finish it and edit it over and over again.

Atomic Fiend

When I was a kid my worst fear was becoming a teacher or professor of some sort, now as I grow older, I'm almost sure that's what I'll become eventually.

S

Sniffles

Hey best of luck to you all. I'm trying to explore new career oppurtunities as well; and things have been rather slow on that front. :(

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
careers that involve the skill of taking in loads of qualitative and quantitative data....and then POOF!(Ni) having some general principles worked out that help you address issues, projects etc related to the data set...

its just a guess...as i still have no career haha

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'd kill myself rather than get into research. Years of sitting and discussing about minute details of a really specific subject...oh my god. Shoot me now.

But try action research or qualitative research--trying to document whether what you're doing is making a difference. I've had a blast, especially adding student voice to studies.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I know a lot of NTJ consulting actuaries that enjoy the work. It pays really well too.