User Tag List

12 Last

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default UCSB or UCSD...?

I know that UCSD is a great school or whatever. But I have lived in SD for about five years now and I need a change of scenery. Not to mention that UCSB is gorgeous and sits on the motherfucking beach. One of my favorite teachers from high school graduated from there and she would gush about SB & how she rode her bike around campus, etc. So I already have this big plan to transfer there with a couple other UCs as my back up plan.

Unfortunately, I was talking to a classmate and she told me she went there and had a lot of problems... One of them being assault. She said she was treated badly as a minority, etc. And now I am just paranoid. I am aware that not all experiences are alike, but now I'm curious as to whether or not something similar would happen to me. Not to mention some of the things she told me was really disturbing and I regret bringing up the subject of UCSB

Should I just stick to UCSD? ;_;
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

UCSD seems more chill, that's where I would go if I had the choice.

I believe UCSB is always rated as one of the top five "partying schools". I dunno, it just seems too hectic for me, too many "bro-bras".

Follow your instinct, though. If you need a change of scenery, you need a change of scenery.

Academically speaking, both schools are great!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

UCSB is more serious in its studies than it used to (although never difficult to find a party).
    I would say it is pretty safe and pretty minority friendly (if from Mexico/Central/South America the most difficult) 2nd generation American minorities should be easier than most places. Most difficulty bunch would be the out of town college cliques such as some of the fraternities or some of the more aggressive homeless. Always could commute from Santa Barbara or Goleta 5-15 min to remove self the "the college scene".

Relax, no need to be paranoid. You will love it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Strange. I heard the same thing from my aunt about the minorities getting the back hand at UCSB (... ).
    Honestly, either school can offer a great education.
    From what I know, UCSD is more difficult to get into and highly academic.
    UCSB is more laid-back and not quite as competitive as UCSD.
    It all depends on what you want out of a college experience: a gorgeous city to live in/change of scenery, like you said, or a rigorous academic environment/place close to home.

Because I'm more of a risk taker when it comes to what I want, I'd say go to UCSB and see how you like it. After a year and you don't like it, then transfer to UCSD or another UC school. It's not like Santa Barbara is that far from San Diego. It's not of out-of-state or in northern Cali...
    So do it! Be brave! Go to UCSB (if that's where you want to go) and live it up!
    And transfer if you hate it.
    Done!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

SD is probably a better school, but that's not all college is about.

You have to decide how much importance you put on academics and how much you put on social life.

Then again, good academics might mean that people you socialize with are more likely to be interested in ideas and such, so if you value that, UCSD might win in both.

You'll always be able to find cool people at any big school. Most people at berkeley suck, but i don't hang out with them.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

UCSD is harder to get into.

The valedictorian at my high school, who graduated a year ahead of me, turned down Harvard because he wanted to pursue physics at UCSD.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    YaYa

If you get sick of school, you can always venture out and do things inn SanDiego.

At SB, kind of a smaller town. Not as many options. If your cool with that, than you know do it.

MBTI
    INTj

Here's a dumb question . . . what do you plan to study?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

UCSD has a law and medical school. That bumps it's prestige factor up over UCSB. Really though, it depends on what you're studying.

As for socially, if you're not Asian, you'll be in the minority at both schools. lulz

You'll probably be fine at UCSB though as long as you're not scared to mingle with others regardless if you look different from them. People are just people, man.

MBTI
    INTj

Are you sure they have a law school? Maybe you're thinking of USD.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight