User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Cover Letters

MBTI
    IsTP

Question Cover Letters

Anyone hate having to write these things as much as I do? Any suggestions on how it could suck any less?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    YaYa

No.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Anyone hate having to write these things as much as I do? Any suggestions on how it could suck any less?
    I am in the process of writing cover letters also. There's tons of advice on how to write cover letters on the Internet, but it's difficult to know which advice you should take.

My 2 cents is that you should look at a cover letter as an opportunity to highlight skills and experience that closely matches the open position that may not be immediately apparent on your resume. It's also a chance to display your writing/communication skills to a potential employer and also your enthusiasm and charming personality. (And if you don't have a personality - fake it! You can rewrte the cover letter as many times as needed after all. )
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Yes, I hate writing them, too.

But...I have several "types" of cover letters I use as templates depending on the job type, so I don't neccessarily have to write each one completely from scratch. However, there is a considerable amount of editting that goes on so each one sounds right.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Cover Letters

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not a fan of cover letters either. Fortunately, the IT industry has not required them of me for the last few jobs. I can only echo that they should probably reinforce the qualities you have that apply to the specific job you are targeting ... along with some rah-rah enthusiasm.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

it helps to first know the type of position you are going for. take some time to read job descriptions for those positions to get an idea of what types of things employers expect. Come up with a list of 5-10 common requirements of these positions. Next take some time to think of real life examples of how you've done each one in your past. Have 1-2 examples for each one. Also, this information can be used later during interviews in the tell me about yourself and what are your strengths questions.

This information can be the bulk of your cover letter template.Don't use then all in one letter, just pick 3 or 4 of the most relevant. This information goes in the body of your cover letter.

The head of the cover letter should always state why you are contacting them. have you performed the same position in the past?Then say that there.

The end of the cover letter should be how they contact you (phone or email) and any specific details they ask for like availability and salary.

At the end, always thank them for reading.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

it helps to first know the type of position you are going for. take some time to read job descriptions for those positions to get an idea of what types of things employers expect. Come up with a list of 5-10 common requirements of these positions. Next take some time to think of real life examples of how you've done each one in your past. Have 1-2 examples for each one. Also, this information can be used later during interviews in the tell me about yourself and what are your strengths questions.

This information can be the bulk of your cover letter template.Don't use then all in one letter, just pick 3 or 4 of the most relevant. This information goes in the body of your cover letter.

The head of the cover letter should always state why you are contacting them. have you performed the same position in the past?Then say that there.

The end of the cover letter should be how they contact you (phone or email) and any specific details they ask for like availability and salary.

At the end, always thank them for reading.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

^ this is good advice.

Also try looking up templates for them on the net. This can give you a nice structure to build on.

MBTI
    I

Yeah I don't like these either. One way you could have more fun with it is just boast and brag - write everything good about yourself. The boring part is finding out more about the company you're applying to.