User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: SAT

Post SAT

Any SAT takers here? What is your score?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

i took it a long time ago.

710V 630M

Looking back though, i think my math growth was stunted by being taught by INTPs my entire 8-12 grade. When ever i had a math related subject since, taught by XXTJs, i did awesome. I had an INTP for math stuff recently, and once again, did terrible.

point is, i hate this test, because that math score still haunts me even post college! (yes, many of the jobs ive applied to require you to put down SAT scores!)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think the scores are somewhat meaningless, since they have changed the standards a couple of times. The year that someone took the test would play a factor.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

on the new SAT

first time (didn't study):

Critical Reading: 790
    Math: 600

second time (studied):

Critical Reading: 800

Math: 700

bleehhhhh this test=death.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENFP

Math: 800
    Verbal: 800
    Critical Reading: 760

I didn't study, but I test well, so personally I don't think the SATs are really indicative of anything at all -_-. I am glad however that the colleges I applied to saw fit to look past my questionable work ethic and relatively low GPA to take a chance on a kid with a lot of heart and a strangely high SAT score. Maybe I'll end up with a real job after I graduate haha.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

took it before it was out of 2400. got 780 math, 710 verbal. got 750 on the writing SAT2, so I guess that would convert to 2240 in the new test.

i've found that the further away from the average you are, the more the test means. i have a couple of friends that are incredibly smart -- i would consider them at least 2 SDs above average, and got in the 1100 range (on the old one).

most people i know that averaged above 700 per subject are pretty smart, though.

MBTI
    ISTP

2100 for me on the new test.

Math: 710
    Verbal: 710
    Writing: 680

Didn't study, only took it once, it was all I need.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think I got around 1540 on the new test. I took it since I thought I needed it for college if I were to transfer. I'm at a community college now so the scores didn't matter.

I hated taking this test, I ended up nearly christmas-treeing everything near then end. I was tired of sitting there for hours.

Can't remember my individual scores, I bombed the math part, though. That's for sure. 480s or something. Even if I try at math I'm lucky if I get anywhere around 'average'. Writing was my best at maybe 610(?) and Critical reading was ~average.

The SATs really tested my attention span above all. What a great test if all you care about are mathematical and linguistic ability.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by icmlite View Post
    I didn't study, but I test well, so personally I don't think the SATs are really indicative of anything at all -_-. I am glad however that the colleges I applied to saw fit to look past my questionable work ethic and relatively low GPA to take a chance on a kid with a lot of heart and a strangely high SAT score. Maybe I'll end up with a real job after I graduate haha.
    That was me too (though my scores were a bit lower than yours). The fact that my college admission and financial aid were more or less dependent on a multiple choice test? Golden. Almost seems unfair really.

As for studying...why would you (plural you)? It isn't a test of learned knowledge so much as one of ability to make connections and see patterns. People who aren't inclined towards the particular brand of intelligence it tests are unlikely to do significantly better by engaging in traditional forms of study (ie memorization).

I think the SAT is one of those things. You either have it or you don't. I've known pretty intelligent people who test quite average. A lot of these were sensors, who I think are at a disadvantage when it comes to this kind of test (though there are plenty of sensors who do well, and intuitives who do poorly).
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    first time (didn't study):

second time (studied):
    That was how I approached it, too. The studying in between raised my score by about 70 points per section. There were indeed a few tricks/maneuvers as a "type of problem" I didn't realize the test was looking for, and studying helped me identify a few of those when I saw them.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.