User Tag List

Default Correlations between the MBTI and SDI

Hi folks,

I am curious to know if anyone has done any work on patterns/correlations between the MBTI and the Strength Deployment Inventory.

Best wishes,
    Dan

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm not aware of any statistical work. It would be challenging since SDI isn't exploring behavior as much as motivation -- and the intention driving behavior choices. I know that Ray Linder is certified as a master trainer in both assessments and has written a lot about how the two compliment each other (as opposed to correlate). In his article "The SDI and MBTI: Make Distinctions Rather Than Connections," he states: "In my opportunities to use the SDI® and MBTI® with the same clients, I have discovered two things: Expected relationships between the two instruments, e.g. 'Hubs must be Perceivers,' don’t always happen; and Making distinctions between the SDI and MBTI is far more insightful and impacting than making connections."

Full text here:
    http://www.personalstrengths.com/sdiblog/?p=177

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by DevelopingPotential View Post
    Hi folks,

I am curious to know if anyone has done any work on patterns/correlations between the MBTI and the Strength Deployment Inventory.

Best wishes,
    Hey DevelopingPotential,

I'm interested to know this as well, as it is something I've wondered myself.

I went on a SDI training course a couple of years ago and already knowing something about the MBTI of course tried to see connections between them though did not manage to make out anything definitive! I am the Red-Green 'Judicious Competing' type and all the description is very much 'me' and is the correct one...

Suspect there isn't as much opportunity to collect data from people as I infer (from the lack of SDI related information online vs MBTI) that either the SDI 'system' is more closely guarded in terms of intellectual property (e.g. didn't find any "find out your type" SDI sites the way there are a lot of MBTI inspired one) or the system just doesn't appeal as much to people!

Personally I think there is some correlation / connection between SDI and MBTI, but not an absolute one, for example I don't think S/N distinction is represented or split out in SDI, it is more T/F, J/P and to an extent I/E (less so) orientated so perhaps could be looked at more usefully in terms of the functions such as Te than the 'preferences' as such, for example a strong 'Green' preference seems to me to have a connection to Ti (much more so than Te).