User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default WTF I'm disadvantaged

There's this problem with literature classes --

oh hell. There's always a problem with literature classes.

But the current problem is a religious problem, I suppose.

Teachers aren't allowed to teach the Bible in school. However, kids are still expected to catch all the Biblical references in literature because apparently "it's just an integral part of Western literature."

WTF. This is like teaching kids calculus without teaching them Algebra first. How is someone supposed to know who John was if they were learning the Vedas instead?

Discuss what should be done.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Sniffles

They should learn the Bible.

your resident asshole

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You should smack whoever came up with that with a newspaper. :P

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You should smack whoever came up with that with a newspaper. :P
    *rolls up newspaper

Get me the Board of Education!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Art history students have the same problem in university, because there are periods of time in Western culture where art history is synonymous with church art history. Religious beliefs aside, if you don't know the stories of the OT which are thoroughly referred to in Shakespeare and everyone else, or the NT parables etc., then you're missing literary understanding (as you've well noted), so if they value Western literature, they need to teach the Bible (which is not the same as teaching the religious beliefs).

I see what the big deal is, but I don't think it should be a big deal. I have The Life of Milarepa on my shelf (interesting book) and have read excerpts of the Vedas (and when I find cheaper used copies of other religious texts I will buy them), it says nothing about my religious beliefs. I don't see how it should be any different for the Bible.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

In my AP lit class senior year, the teacher determined that it was necessary that we read certain excerpts from the bible so that we would know what authors were referring to. I think that should be the norm.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    GONE

You can read and teach religious text as a historical or literary text, not necessarily as religious canon. They do that all the time for Norse, Greek, and Roman mythology in school.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Sniffles

I read the first few chapters of Genesis in my mythology class.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was advantaged. After a few years in a King James only Fundamentalist Baptist high school Shakespeare isn't all that hard to read.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was advantaged. After a few years in a King James only Fundamentalist Baptist high school Shakespeare isn't all that hard to read.

Oh yes. I have much respect for anyone who's made it through that great tome. My eyes tend to glaze over unless I'm feeling particularly motivated.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"