User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENTP

I have a degree of sympathy with the OP but to be honest many of these classes could do with much more life experiences generally.. a fair amount of symbolisim goes far futher than bible studies... goes into other religious belifes or artistic references that people who have only been to school can't get until they have been in the world.

It's not an easy place to be but it's not exclusively about the bible, and I think it wouldn't be a good argument to teach one type of religion in school without others being included....

Many of these exams would be SO much easier if you could defer them until you'd travelled a fair bit and had some profound life expeiriences... But thats never gonna happen.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    There's this problem with literature classes --

oh hell. There's always a problem with literature classes.

But the current problem is a religious problem, I suppose.

Teachers aren't allowed to teach the Bible in school. However, kids are still expected to catch all the Biblical references in literature because apparently "it's just an integral part of Western literature."

WTF. This is like teaching kids calculus without teaching them Algebra first. How is someone supposed to know who John was if they were learning the Vedas instead?

Discuss what should be done.
    I understand your problem. While I grew up in a Christian family, I wasn't really ever taught stories from the Bible in a format that worked for me. That, and my family only ever had a King James version, so when I would try to read the stories as a kid, I often got really lost in the diction used. So when I took a literature class later in high school, I didn't always get the Biblican references. However, I think instead of others looking at people who don't understand Biblical references as if they have a second head, they could take it as an opportunity to see what the text looks like to someone who is outside of conventional Western Culture.

Teaching the Bible as a literary text would be great. I think I would have enjoyed learning the stories simply as stories. Much like I really enjoy learning stories from other religions. It is just difficult to simply enjoy the stories from the Bible because of the heavy religious obligation I feel from my family to "believe" in what I'm reading. Like I couldn't tell them I read the Bible without them expecting me to suddenly be a Christian.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    *waits for the lightning strike or Peguy, whatever hits first*
    Boo.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    Well christians are probably afraid people won't teach it right, which is understandable.
    religion is not taught in schools because...

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetrannies View Post
    I'm a hardcore athiest, so I think religion should stay the fuck out our school system.

OP: the Bible is the most popular book of all time... you are telling me you can't find any resources on it? not all classes will teach you everything you need to know in class, it is not uncommon for teachers to expect self study to support your understanding of the class material.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    not all classes will teach you everything you need to know in class, it is not uncommon for teachers to expect self study to support your understanding of the class material.
    She's in high school, not university--I've never met a high school teacher who expected self-study for a mandatory course.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    She's in high school, not university--I've never met a high school teacher who expected self-study for a mandatory course.
    Ah, true, maybe with the exception of some private schools...

In that case the OP should bring this up with their teacher and make it the teacher's problem. Not a matter of the Bible or religion, the teacher should not use references that students won't understand unless they are willing to also explain them.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'd just think that if a person was actually curious enough about the topic and bothered enough by it to start a thread, they wouldn't mind doing a little outside research in order to understand things better

just saying...

However, the bible is a large, dry book, so I'd suggest getting a children's picture bible to scan for references. It's much more interesting and ILLUSTRATED!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'd just think that if a person was actually curious enough about the topic and bothered enough by it to start a thread, they wouldn't mind doing a little outside research in order to understand things better

just saying...

However, the bible is a large, dry book, so I'd suggest getting a children's picture bible to scan for references. It's much more interesting and ILLUSTRATED!
    did someone say felt board?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Too bad VeggieTales isn't more accurate.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent