First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    This is horrible advice for someone fresh out of college.
    It greatly depends on the individual, though I see your point.

Look, I had to type it, I'm sorry, I know people who did it and are deliriously happy. Including my own parents. >.<
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by firstjudge View Post
    That is the kind of work I find very rewarding. I'm actually doing volunteer work in this area. Tinkerbell, do you mind my asking what your friend is doing now? I'm just curious to know.
    Oh god, I was trying not to tel you (probably your idea of hell).... she's an acocuntant, leading a team that does global accounts - so I can honestly say - probably not for you, but she's happier than a pig in shit... I don't think her N is about the same type of creativity that you have.

I worked with people with learnign difficulties and there are loads of different angles you could do.... teaching (which is way more creative than regular teaching), art therapy, tactile work etc etc... it pays appaulingly, but the rewards are breath taking. Such as teaching a person do something they couldn't do before because you have patiently invlved them in a number of different tasks in order to get them there... the sence of achivement in both them and yourself is unbeleivable. It's also very personal... you bring a different way with you and therefor your creativeness is directly beneficial...

I was trying to teach a guy how to tie his shoe laces... (yes he also had velcro ones but as a skill), he had awful fine finger co-ordination and lacked dexterity in hand movment - so I bought him a jigsaw - not a huge number of peices say 20-30, with the most grown up picute I could find. He struggled, and got frustrated and he would chuck the tray across the room. But he always went back to it... it took him about 8 weeks to complete it with scores of thrown attempts... on the day he did it, he came runnign around to a different part of the house banged on the door and called me out say "I did it!, I flippin did it", he thin picked me up and birlled me around... Bless him - never been prouder.....

Can't buy that...

But I wont not mention the downside, it doesn't pay well even in time, so you need to learn to manage your money and set your life expectancy around that.

There is ofcoure the opportunity to work for money and volenteer for love...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I think a lot of people who don't know much about the industry have a false notion of what graphic design entails - I know I did. It is usually not fun, or even creative. Much of the work you make will look derivative and you have very little creative autonomy. If you are an artist who feels strongly about expressing something personal, genuine and authentic through your work, it can be soul-crushing. This is an industry where you are in constant competition against others, compensated with low pay relative to the amount of hours and demands you have to put up with, left watching your talents go to waste on ads and other ephemeral marketing material you care nothing for until at the end of the day you have no time, energy and creativity left for anything else. Many don't last in this industry and experience burn out if they don't love what they do. There are many other things I don't want to get into...
    This is absolutely true ... and it is true in many, many jobs. You start at the bottom - it's cliche, but true. You do what others want you to do as opposed to creating your own vision and fulfilling your creative ideals. Who said being an artist was easy?

However,

once you gain some experience in the field you could create your own agency with your own look and brand and pitch that particular vision to others. Drawing clients to your look, rather than trying to fulfil the expectations of some guy who says he doesn't like the kind of "green" you used in his mock-up.

Myself as a web developer / designer (11 years now), I have had to maintain balance in that place, putting my creative ego aside in order to interpret the vision of others. But now, I run my own company, and almost exclusively spend time creating sites for myself and using them as advertising vehicles.

There are many ways you can take your skill set and still use it to create satisfaction. You just have to get creative about it and not expect that this should happen overnight, in any job.

MBTI
    INFJ

Viv, thanks so much for those sites. It seems like every time I take those types of test I get very few real jobs that suit me (I only got 2 choices apparently as an AIS). Being an INFJ, I suppose that is to be expected.

Bubbles, don't worry about it. I know you meant no harm. Thanks for your insight.

Tinkerbell, that is all very interesting. Unfortunately the jobs I find most appealing tend to pay the least. *sigh* Money isn't everything, I guess. But it would be nice to be compensated a little better for your compassionate efforts.

Peacebaby, it's not that I'm unwilling to work my way up, but I have to work my way up towards something I really want. Even the work that is considered creative, edgy and avant-garde coming out of the industry is uninspiring to me - it isn't what I consider art. I'm not trying to knock down the profession, but I really don't like think much of advertising and marketing communications. In my daily life I tend to filter out these things; I consider them distractions to things that matter. I don't care about the way something is packaged, or what typeface is used for such and such logo. They are trivial matters to me and in the big picture don't really do anything to affect people in the way helping someone with learning disabilities would have. I have no desire to start my own agency and come up with branding ideas for the latest Gucci campaign (even if I did have complete creative control). I never felt at peace with myself making graphic design, even in school when it was supposed to be the time when you have the most freedom. Even if I do manage to work my way up to be a successful, respected designer, I have a strong feeling I would end up as a very bitter and miserable person. With that said, however, if it is something you truly love doing, then more power to you.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my rant, I have a lot of pent up frustration with respect to design in general.

MBTI
    ENTP

Tinkerbell, that is all very interesting. Unfortunately the jobs I find most appealing tend to pay the least. *sigh* Money isn't everything, I guess. But it would be nice to be compensated a little better for your compassionate efforts.
    Yea I had that trouble too... it was an either or choice for me at the time and given where I live I chose not to be below the poverty line....

I hope you find something that you can at least live off, I thought qualified care staff were better paid your side of the pond, but maybe not....

Good luck