User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Textbooks. Hate them as much as I do?

I swear, if there's anything more inefficient than the textbooks of colleges please point me in it's direction. It needs immediate attention.

Mayhap this should be in the "complain about x" section, but I seriously spent $400 dollars on textbooks because they had ALL new editions and immediately removed the old editions from shelves (even though they honestly have the same content for the most part.).. My weight training teacher wasn't even AWARE of a new edition until we showed it to him.

I don't think teachers should rely on textbooks, or if they do, it should be a bare minimum. Using the examples below to back up my statement..

My kinesiology courses both required me to buy the textbooks, but they only have 3-4 minute take-home quizzes that account for a total of <10% of my grade. $50 dollars for 3 quizzes is a bit extreme.

On top of that, there's a BRAND new Bio1 textbook and they admit they may not buy it back even though you're forced to buy it brand new because they're not sure they want to keep this particular textbook past the semester. WHAT?!

So go ahead, vent your anger and tell me why college textbooks are as ridiculous as I know them to be.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Yup. 500 bucks every semester drains from your pocket into someone else's.

Going to university is awesome though!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

I spent around $50 last semester. I just asked my professors if getting the previous edition was fine, and they all said sure. The books were no more than $15 each, used from online.

Even the newer editions I saw were ridiculously discounted online. Stop funding the bookstore scammers and instead support students selling their used books online
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Many a student walk away from the college bookstore buyback line with a frown because they're using a new edition the next term.

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    I spent around $50 last semester. I just asked my professors if getting the previous edition was fine, and they all said sure. The books were no more than $15 each, used from online.

Even the newer editions I saw were ridiculously discounted online. Stop funding the bookstore scammers and instead support students selling their used books online
    any good links to share?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think they're okay. But then, I didn't have many core classes. I will admit that I did NOT like spending $60-$100 for one book that I wouldn't even read willingly. Many of these were art history texts, and though I could have sold them back, I decided to keep them simply because of the massive amount of useful information they contained.

Most of my other text books have been $20 each, which is a pretty standard price for most color-printed books in general. Quite a few of them I have sat down and willingly read just about front to back because they are interesting (read: not dry reading).
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Many a student walk away from the college bookstore buyback line with a frown because they're using a new edition the next term.

any good links to share?
    half.com and amazon.com are the best
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

No, actually, I love text books.

New text books, old text books (I gots me one from 1908 on Logic and one from 1915 on Organic Chemistry).

Useful text books, pointless text books. Trust me, the pointless ones are more fun.

Read em' from cover to cover...but I never study the section that we're doing in class.

In fact, I think I shall compose an Ode to Textbooks someday. I'll write it in the margin of my Physics book. It shalt be epic.

Of course, I haven't had to pay for large amounts of text books yet...mayhap my opinion will change.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Most college bookstores are essentially a monopoly operation and have contracts with the university to keep it that way. At the university I used to work at we had trouble with the university printing out enough study guides that were created by the Math department. However the Math department didn't have the authority to print the study guides themselves. By contract we had to wait for the bookstore to print them out and slap their markup on them.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The highest I spent on books for 1 semester was $750. Orgo alone was like $250 when you took buying the lab book, lab gear, study book, all that shit, most of it is superfluous. Just get the older editions, use half.com. I never used the bookstore again after that.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

After a while... you learn which is the books that you MUST have, and which you can do without.

I think it's best not to buy any textbooks until a week or two into the course... so you figure out whether you actually need the book or not. Oh and forget about study guides and companion CDs etc... I found them to be absolutely useless.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca