User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I've found all of my textbooks to be a useless waste of paper. I've started going back through my Calculus book, but I haven't made it past the diagnostics test yet, I've just procrastinated it, solving the occasional problem. I'd benefit most by buying the pages as I use them lol, what kind of person makes it all the way through a thousand pages of mathematics!?! Some books from other topics might be a little more digestible, but I don't want to buy another maths book until I get through the first one

add: Though they do say that they should be used as references to back up the lecture slides, still, it's pretty frustrating knowing that ~4000 pages of information is going to waste every year.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

I just got a $0.45 macro and micro organic chem procedure textbook this week from the thrift store. Woo!
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    I spent around $50 last semester. I just asked my professors if getting the previous edition was fine, and they all said sure. The books were no more than $15 each, used from online.

Even the newer editions I saw were ridiculously discounted online. Stop funding the bookstore scammers and instead support students selling their used books online
    There's always one

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Most college bookstores are essentially a monopoly operation and have contracts with the university to keep it that way. At the university I used to work at we had trouble with the university printing out enough study guides that were created by the Math department. However the Math department didn't have the authority to print the study guides themselves. By contract we had to wait for the bookstore to print them out and slap their markup on them.
    We have lab manuals and stuff specifically designed for our college too.. So It's not like I can just go to any old manufactured bookstore for some of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    After a while... you learn which is the books that you MUST have, and which you can do without.

I think it's best not to buy any textbooks until a week or two into the course... so you figure out whether you actually need the book or not. Oh and forget about study guides and companion CDs etc... I found them to be absolutely useless.
    Companion CDs are useless, and I never buy them, so wouldn't you know that this year in particular my Bio class is all "Yeah, I think I'll throw in some pop quizzes from the CD.." .. Wtf? I'm not spending money on the CD just so you can give me 2 small quizzes.

As far as waiting, I bought from the bookstore my first semester, it was gay, bought online, was satisfied.. but this year since there were new editions of everything I was waiting to get to class to see which editions I could get away with. Every teacher said "You need the edition we're using." and every teacher said "Do this homework out of the book for Thursday." So, unless I ship my textbooks next day air, this semester buying online wasn't an option really.

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    I just got a $0.45 macro and micro organic chem procedure textbook this week from the thrift store. Woo!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Buy them online... I only spent $19 on my textbooks this semester. Last spring I spent $25 on a $200 textbook that was BRAND NEW. I abebooks is good.

Also, there usually isn't a big difference between the newer editions and older ones (minus page differences). I know that professors usually request the newer ones, but they would never notice that you bought an older one unless you tell them. My psychology teacher wanted the 5th edition, but I bought the 4th one (published less than five years ago and was on sale for $5).

IT'S A TRAP.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Here in Italy most books are just photocopied, or downloaded from the Internet. In 4 years of college I spent at most 100 euros for all my textbooks (cumulated over the years). The professors, knowing that the editors are thieves, indirectly encourage this type of behavior. I've studied in Denmark, where everybody bought new textbooks every semester, and I thought they were crazy. We can't waste so many resources like that.
    Even when there's something specific for a given class written by the professor, either the professor (obviously, not openly, but in his studio) gives free photocopies to the student of the book, or we buy it all togheter (classes are made of around 30 people, usually) and then make photocopies. If it's a really specific courses with less than 10 people, usually there's enough books in the university library and in the libraries of the universities of the nearby cities to cover all the students.
    At the end of the day, we spend very little money on textbooks, but the system is different form the US (we have public college, we pay around 1000 euros a year). We also don't have any "generalist" classes, we decide our major from the start, thus waste less money with say, chemistry courses for a future economics major.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

blah. I like textbooks, but I hate buying them.

They're the one thing my scholarship doesn't cover, and I have spent 650+ on books, nearly all used, and apparently am missing a lab book as well. I searched for the used ones online, and they were the same price as those in the bookstore (small private college thing). While the used books weren't too bad, the new books which I was required to purchase (yes required, as in if I didn't have them the first day my grade would go down and yes they had to be the new edition because the professors looked) ran over 100+ each. *dies*

I have no money, I have no job, and if I do get a job, then my study time will be cut and my scholarship money goes away as a result of poor grades. *sob*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Buy them online... I only spent $19 on my textbooks this semester. Last spring I spent $25 on a $200 textbook that was BRAND NEW. I abebooks is good.

Also, there usually isn't a big difference between the newer editions and older ones (minus page differences). I know that professors usually request the newer ones, but they would never notice that you bought an older one unless you tell them. My psychology teacher wanted the 5th edition, but I bought the 4th one (published less than five years ago and was on sale for $5).

IT'S A TRAP.
    I've had classmates flunk an exam because their older editions were missing something the prof thought was important that was included in the new edition. Though you have a point that this is often the case, it's not always the case.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis