User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default why is taking semester off the end of the world?

especially if you know that if you don't you'll fuck up your future? I don't get it. I know that I need the semester off to get refocused, but my parents don't understand that. And my dad accused me of sitting on my ass all day and smoking pot. which I only do occasionally.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think to a lot of people "I'm taking a semester off" equates to "yeah, I'm probably not going back".

So you might encounter that attitude until you do eventually go back.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

In my case it was because they wanted me to get a degree, get a job, and get out.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It isn't.

But it can appear that way, because often when people take a semester off, they give up and don't go back. Basically, it's seen as "falling off the wagon."

MBTI
    I

Yeah, as long as you go back, and if you need this semester to get re-focused, then you should probably take off, but make sure you go back.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    especially if you know that if you don't you'll fuck up your future? I don't get it. I know that I need the semester off to get refocused, but my parents don't understand that. And my dad accused me of sitting on my ass all day and smoking pot. which I only do occasionally.
    Like ajblaise said, taking a semester has been done due to a variety of reasons and led to various consequences too. Most people go back, some don't. Your parents have expectations of you like all parents and sometimes lack the sympathy we desire most from them...sorry.

I took a year off after high school and nobody got why --- all sorts of explanations were afloat including that I flunked out of the great high school I went to. It was far from the truth and I did top (get the highest GPA) in my college in my major just to prove them wrong

My reason for taking a year off was I really didn't know what I was going to study and I felt like I would have just jumped into the wrong program. Instead, I took a year and worked as a journalist and really enjoyed the short writing projects and travel, even though the field was entertainment.

I hope this is not too presumptuous, I'm just curious - what are you doing during your semester off?
    Possible ideas:
    Take a course in something you enjoy doing, just for fun. Art/Dance/Writing -- it'll help you recharge and get them off your back.
    Could you explain to them why you need this time and how what you're doing during this time will put you in a better place for your career in the long run.

Sorry again -- if this is what you need, you have to take the time for yourself and hope that in the long run, their understanding will catch up. In the meantime, concentrate on yourself.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It isn't.

But it can appear that way, because often when people take a semester off, they give up and don't go back. Basically, it's seen as "falling off the wagon."
    but i gave up while still in school, without taking a semester off, I have one chance left before I get kicked out of school for good, so I figure the worse that would happen is I fuck up again once I'm back but I know if I stay I'll fail all my classes. so I at least have a chance with taking the semester off and I'm one of those people that needs an ultimate goal in mind* or else I won't have the motivation to do the work. I know I don't want a minimum wage job for the rest of my life I can't do physical labor, and I sure as hell don't want to work in the service industry, so I mean I have to get a BA. me not getting one is not an option and if I stay I'll fuck that up.

*more then I want this gpa, but how will this help me in the future, and with no future goals in mind I won'tdo well.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INxJ

It's not. Do what you need to do, forget them all, as you're the one that knows what's right for you

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    but i gave up while still in school, without taking a semester off, I have one chance left before I get kicked out of school for good, so I figure the worse that would happen is I fuck up again once I'm back but I know if I stay I'll fail all my classes. so I at least have a chance with taking the semester off and I'm one of those people that needs an ultimate goal in mind* or else I won't have the motivation to do the work. I know I don't want a minimum wage job for the rest of my life I can't do physical labor, and I sure as hell don't want to work in the service industry, so I mean I have to get a BA. me not getting one is not an option and if I stay I'll fuck that up.

*more then I want this gpa, but how will this help me in the future, and with no future goals in mind I won'tdo well.
    That's not entirely true. I decided to get a networking certification instead of doing the whole college thing, because that seemed like something I could see myself doing. Have you considered trying to get a certification for the job you want?

I've heard a lot of people say that the degrees are overrated, and that the main thing is persistently working to get into and advance in the field you're interested in, maybe getting the required certification (if any).

Basically, if you're just going to college to avoid physical labor and the service industry, that's a poor reason... it not only doesn't guarantee that, there are other, easier ways to get careers outside those areas.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    That's not entirely true. I decided to get a networking certification instead of doing the whole college thing, because that seemed like something I could see myself doing. Have you considered trying to get a certification for the job you want?

I've heard that the degrees are overrated, and that the main thing is persistently working to get into and advance in the field you're interested in, maybe needing a certification to get into it.
    I don't know what job I want either. I wish I knew this whole thing would be easier.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all