User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I don't know what job I want either. I wish I knew this whole thing would be easier.
    Well... going to college when you don't know what job you want is a waste of time and money. College can help you get certain kinds of high-level positions, but only if you know what you're looking for and get a specialized degree for it... the general ones are all but useless.

I've spoken to people who've done that... they just ended up with a massive debt, and fallen behind everyone else who had already gotten experience to give them a clue to what they might want.

So, basically, even passing all your classes and getting your degree doesn't guarantee anything. Thus, there are only two good reasons to go to college:

1. You know what exactly what field you want to work in, and a college education will help you get in.

2. You want to have the "college experience," socialize, make contacts, get involved in the school, etc.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    especially if you know that if you don't you'll fuck up your future? I don't get it. I know that I need the semester off to get refocused, but my parents don't understand that. And my dad accused me of sitting on my ass all day and smoking pot. which I only do occasionally.
    if you're taking the semester off to do *nothing* then yeah, it might be a waste of time. if you're taking the time off to do something productive, then maybe you have a case for yourself.

speaking as someone who took several years off from college, i could never have justified it to my parents (or myself) had i not been working at the time on a career that required no degree.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    if you're taking the semester off to do *nothing* then yeah, it might be a waste of time. if you're taking the time off to do something productive, then maybe you have a case for yourself.

speaking as someone who took several years off from college, i could never have justified it to my parents (or myself) had i not been working at the time on a career that required no degree.
    I'm planning on either getting a job or volunteering so it wouldn't be I'd just sit on my ass and do nothing.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So. You say you don't know what job you want.. how about settling for a job you don't hate instead? I'm going for Surgical tech.. I didn't grow up thinking I wanted to be in the medical field.. but until I find something I do want, it's a job I can handle that I won't absolutely hate. and it's only a year of certification, instead of 130billion college hours in classes I think are bullshit. So maybe just a certification in something that doesn't sound so bad will work until you find your focus..

I find it hard to fit semesters of college into my current lifestyle.. I've been trying for my associates since fall of 2005, and I'm only now going to get it in May of 2010. That's 5 years for an associates. Skipping semesters adds up a lot, and makes the task seem all the more daunting. The longer you're out of the loop, the harder it is to get back into it. but, better to be out for a while and come back refreshed and re-focused with a good game plan than floating through.

It sounds like you're more work oriented. I'm the same way. School depresses me, I'm just out of place there. I dislike it, but I do it out of necessity, and it depresses me throughout the process and unnecessarily stresses me out. To be a bit blunt, I don't think you should aim directly for a BA unless you know what sort of field you want to work in. If I were you, I'd do a certification as fast as possible and get started working there.. and maybe work on a BA in your spare time. Take weekend classes, or only 1 or 2 classes a semester towards a BA while you're working. But enuogh of me lecturing you. I want you to succeed, whatever you decide to do.

You know what you can handle best. So, stick to your guns.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I come at this from kinda the opposite angle. I took the opposite approach where I was like "I will get into this field come hell or highwater", and well it took a lot of time, and a lot of it in hindsight seems pretty/very counterproductive. Other subject areas that I should have gone into, and would have gotten through in a reasonable period of time, well I either didn't know at the time that I should do them or the money factor got in the way.

I spent 5 years as a physics TA at two very good schools. These numbers could be way off, but it seemed to me like ~90% of people didn't know what they really wanted to do. Maybe not that high, but man its up there though.

If you can find something enriching to do with this time off, and it will help you, I say go for it. You can go back to school later if you want/need to. I had several students who came back to school in their 30's or 40's. I'm sure its not ideal, but it can be done.

Kyuuei: "how about settling for a job you don't hate instead?"
    Do you feel this is about the best most people can aim for??? I don't know how I feel about it. I've read that something like half of americans hate their job. In this context I feel like hate is such a strong word, but so is like or enjoy. I'm in a very NT/ST workplace, and before that several VERY NT environments. NOT a good place for an NFP to be. Your Army enlisted, another place considered NOT generally a good fit for NFP's. To me its like "I do really interesting stuff, but the kinds of people that are attracted to this field, well maybe its kind alike wanting to kill yourself???"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I took a year off between my first and second years of college and it was one of the best decisions I made. My parents weren't thrilled at the beginning, but it definitely gave me a lot of focus as to what I wanted to do and when I returned to college I was able to study a lot better than before. It's obviously not the end of the world, but doing something productive, not necessarily lucrative, but something that inspires you could definitely help.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I've heard a lot of people say that the degrees are overrated, and that the main thing is persistently working to get into and advance in the field you're interested in, maybe getting the required certification (if any).
    It can be.

You should choose the job you want to do first. Then get a degree if it's necessary to get into that field. There are so many options. You shouldn't limit yourself to one method just because it's expected of you. Otherwise, taking one semester off to regroup before going back is actually a mature decision.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    It can be.

You should choose the job you want to do first. Then get a degree if it's necessary to get into that field. There are so many options. You shouldn't limit yourself to one method just because it's expected of you. Otherwise, taking one semester off to regroup before going back is actually a mature decision.
    Seconded.

MBTI
    yupp

alright so I thought some more, and I think because I might possibly want to go into cultural anthropology I'm taking intro to cultural anthropology and so I won't be taking a full course load, and maybe this will be better and it could help me decide if thats what I want to do. And I'm not taking a bunch of classes that I really don't want to take, which would be detrimental at this point.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

The avarage age at my undergrad school was 27. It was where all the kids came back to, after taking a semeseter off like five years before...

I agree with those above-try and find an intership/volenteer/job that directly puts you into the field you are interested in and find out what it is really like to do that work everyday. Just plab to do something. I dunno what cultural anthropolgists do exactly-though I think I might like it-but maybe you could spend some time working with a prof and asking if he needs a free slave to help in his research. Most profs are actually really open to this idea.

In chem/biochem all the undergrads do free lab work for a bit and very quickly it weeds out those who like the idea in theory, but not the reality.

Also my school had a program where you cold create your own major-by mixing and matching classes and independednt study-maybe do independent study for a semester on somthing you really enjoy?