User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default Jobs and grad school in Poli Sci

Does anyone know about the types of jobs you'd get with poli sci? This is a field with much debate. I hate sciences, but this seems like much less of a science. A lot of people, like my roommate, double major in poli sci and philosophy. I'm thinking of picking up another major, in Philosophy before I graduate. So the grad school in poli sci is a possibility.

So what is this field all about? Is it paperwork like everything else? I don't know anything else about this, except being a politician (lame, (i think))

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    Does anyone know about the types of jobs you'd get with poli sci? This is a field with much debate. I hate sciences, but this seems like much less of a science. A lot of people, like my roommate, double major in poli sci and philosophy. I'm thinking of picking up another major, in Philosophy before I graduate. So the grad school in poli sci is a possibility.

So what is this field all about? Is it paperwork like everything else? I don't know anything else about this, except being a politician (lame, (i think))

If you just want an overview you should just google political science degree and careers and see what pops up.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

well the problem is, jobs with the bachelors are different than jobs with the MA. Google only shows the latter.

I'm just want a job that involves creativity.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

There are many directions you can go within the field. Some of the more interesting ones are:

Policy Analyst
    Political Commentator
    Research Analyst
    Public Opinion Analyst
    Pollster
    Campaign Operative

I took a few poli sci and public policy courses in college, and part of me wishes I got into it more. Lots of big-picture thinking and analysis - it can be very INTP friendly.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I'm a poli sci major. If what to do after you get your BA degree (I think it should be a BS degree, for that is what you learn to do) is what is troubling you, there are a number of things to do with this field.

It is popular to use a poli sci degree as a stepping stone to law school or grad school. Civil servants and government employees are often poli sci people. Coupled with International Relations, a poli sci degree can be great for landing a job in the federal bureaucracy. However, it is very common for poli sci majors to actually make their careers in the business world.

What is involved? Writing, and a lot of it. You'll also learn and use some statistical methods to use in supporting research and analyzing others research. In my experience, and one professor said this outright, you are often assessed on how well you APPEAR to know your material. This means the gift to intelligently BS your way out of a tough or loaded question is essential to being very successful.

Poli Sci is broken up into a few different specialty areas. American politics, comparitive politics, international politics, and political theory (which is more like philosophy than a social science).
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    well the problem is, jobs with the bachelors are different than jobs with the MA. Google only shows the latter.

I'm just want a job that involves creativity.
    No shit. But if you don't know what you are interested in you could have a Phd and not have a job that really suits you. So, again, what are you hoping to do?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Go to law school.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    However, it is very common for poli sci majors to actually make their careers in the business world.
    Good post. I have my MPA and am currently working in the business world.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM