• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jobs and grad school in Poli Sci

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Does anyone know about the types of jobs you'd get with poli sci? This is a field with much debate. I hate sciences, but this seems like much less of a science. A lot of people, like my roommate, double major in poli sci and philosophy. I'm thinking of picking up another major, in Philosophy before I graduate. So the grad school in poli sci is a possibility.

So what is this field all about? Is it paperwork like everything else? I don't know anything else about this, except being a politician (lame, (i think))

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone know about the types of jobs you'd get with poli sci? This is a field with much debate. I hate sciences, but this seems like much less of a science. A lot of people, like my roommate, double major in poli sci and philosophy. I'm thinking of picking up another major, in Philosophy before I graduate. So the grad school in poli sci is a possibility.

So what is this field all about? Is it paperwork like everything else? I don't know anything else about this, except being a politician (lame, (i think))

Political science is a broad field. It's like saying you want a career in "psychology"--it can mean all kinds of things. What specifically are your interests?

If you just want an overview you should just google political science degree and careers and see what pops up.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
well the problem is, jobs with the bachelors are different than jobs with the MA. Google only shows the latter.

I'm just want a job that involves creativity.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
There are many directions you can go within the field. Some of the more interesting ones are:

Policy Analyst
Political Commentator
Research Analyst
Public Opinion Analyst
Pollster
Campaign Operative

I took a few poli sci and public policy courses in college, and part of me wishes I got into it more. Lots of big-picture thinking and analysis - it can be very INTP friendly.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm a poli sci major. If what to do after you get your BA degree (I think it should be a BS degree, for that is what you learn to do) is what is troubling you, there are a number of things to do with this field.

It is popular to use a poli sci degree as a stepping stone to law school or grad school. Civil servants and government employees are often poli sci people. Coupled with International Relations, a poli sci degree can be great for landing a job in the federal bureaucracy. However, it is very common for poli sci majors to actually make their careers in the business world.

What is involved? Writing, and a lot of it. You'll also learn and use some statistical methods to use in supporting research and analyzing others research. In my experience, and one professor said this outright, you are often assessed on how well you APPEAR to know your material. This means the gift to intelligently BS your way out of a tough or loaded question is essential to being very successful.

Poli Sci is broken up into a few different specialty areas. American politics, comparitive politics, international politics, and political theory (which is more like philosophy than a social science).

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well the problem is, jobs with the bachelors are different than jobs with the MA. Google only shows the latter.

I'm just want a job that involves creativity.

No shit. But if you don't know what you are interested in you could have a Phd and not have a job that really suits you. So, again, what are you hoping to do?