Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
I'm a creative person, so there might be better options for me out there in some field where I can apply that passion.
I would say that there are two types of training/degrees: the ones that teach you a specific skill, such as flying, and the ones that teach you skills such as critical thinking, such as philosophy. Employers looking for people with specific skills (such as flying) will require a pilot's license and may or may not be impressed at all with additional schooling outside of training specifically related to flying. Employers looking for someone with critical thinking skills will be a bit more impressed by someone with a philosophy degree than someone without, all other things being equal. This point is important, because it's very possible that someone without a degree could have much better critical thinking skills than someone with a degree. In other words, a pilot's license proves that you can fly, while a philosophy degree does not prove that you can "philosophize": it just proves that you got a certain grade in classes you attended. So, in relation to degrees like philosophy, you still need to take what you have learned and figure out how to apply it to a job. With such degrees, you are more flexible in the kinds of work you can be successful at (vs. very specific training like a pilot's license), but this flexibility can also make it more difficult to chart a path or "sell" yourself to a prospective employer based on your training.

In the creative fields, a portfolio can be important. So, when looking at a college and a degree, ask yourself what you will actually get out of it besides the piece of paper? Would you leave with connections you didn't previously have that could help you land a job? Would you leave with an internship? Would you leave with a portfolio to show prospective clients or employers? The value of a degree can be hard to quantify in this day & age...