• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What career should I go for?

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am entering my last year as an undergrad and I am still unsure of things. For the last year my major was statistics and I was planning on being an actuary. My parents/boyfriend really approved of this as it pays really well and is stable and whatnot. I took an internship over the summer, however, and found it to be the most boring and unfulfilling job ever. What I really want to do is either be a counselor or something psychology related. As of right now I am a double major of Statistics and Psychology. I guess what I am curious about is what you guys think about me keeping my double major (statistics is practical) or if I drop Stats as a major, make it my minor, and then take some English electives (which I loooove). This second option would also save me about $3,200. My parents/boyfriend want me to keep the practical second major. What do you guys think?

Also, I really just need some confirmation that I am not crazy to throw away the opportunity to make lots of money in order to do something I will like more. If you feel differently though, please feel free to share that as well.

P

Phantonym

:hi: Grace. Welcome to the forums!

First of all, you're not crazy. Confirmed! :) As you said, if it's boring and unfulfilling, it's boring and unfulfilling. I've always advocated doing something you feel is the thing you're happy doing. There's no point in trying to make others happy while you're being miserable.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Value is subjective, and a cost is real if-and-only-if it is an opportunity cost. So, it is perfectly rational to forgo an opportunity for money in favor of something else that you value more.

That said, I recommend talking to some practicing psychologists before making your decision. My understanding is that a doctoral degree is very important in that field, and that statistics is very important in studying graduate-level psychology.

Regardless, welcome and best wishes!

firstjudge

MBTI Type
INFJ
Seems like us INFJs are naturally drawn to psychology, though I wonder how we would fare in an actual psychology job. One of the things that put me off was the LOOOOOOOONG schooling required - I hear you can't do anything with a Psych degree until you get your PhD/PsyD. Are you passionate enough to take such a long hard road or is it just something that you find interesting to read about on your spare time? I'm sort of trying to figure things out myself so maybe I'm not much help. All I can say is this: if you hate something, don't invest anymore time into it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Keep Stats because it can help you with research in psychology if you want to do a Masters afterwards to get more qualifications.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I am double majoring now. I'm glad I kept Stats too. My math classes are a welcome break from all the paper writing I have to do for Psych. At this point I am not interested in getting a doctorate but I will most likely go for a masters degree in either counseling or social work (in order to do counseling).

Also, I am really happy with my choice not to be an Actuary. My dad was pissed and my boyfriend disappointed, but whatever. They can get over it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Tell your boyfriend HE should become an actuary so that he gets lots of stable money :D (I want to become an actuary but I actually like working with numbers)

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like to work with numbers too, but only if those numbers represent something interesting. I just couldn't get into the whole pension plan thing. Anything to do with business is not my cup of tea. Math, yes please. Business, no thank you.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's interesting that you want to be an actuary though, because three of the other people I was interning with were ENTJ's and they loved the job.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah well, I can totally see how - from the outside - it looks like an abysmally boring job, however I always had an interest/attitude towards that type of usage of mathematics, for reasons that are to me unknown.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'd choose the one where you can see yourself doing most vividly. If you can see yourself doing whatever it is you want to do in 5, 10, 20 years. Do it. If you don't, don't. That'd make sure you're aligned and see the distance ahead.

FYI: My mother is an INFJ and she has successfully ran 3 businesses. She says it's because she selected the "best" team after a lot of psychological screening of people. She loves to be the "host" of our restaurant down here, but hides behind the scenes.

Not surprisingly, most employees come to her for help. She also has a very strong non-friend/friend switch that can go either way on others.