User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Cost of Living thread

Short version: Please name your city/location and how much cost of living would be. Or at least, let's discuss it.

More info: I am considering moving (basically anywhere in the U.S.) to wherever a job opening may present itself. I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to hold an apartment by myself in various cities and regions, weighed against my salary. Have to account for all the necessities (food, electricity, communication, transportation), but not much beyond that.

I'm near Atlanta, Georgia, right now. It seems that $400 to $500 income per week would be plenty to survive here...not sure. Don't focus on that statement or assume it to be correct.

I know someone looking for apartments here, also, and she's said one trap they sometimes use is to require your salary to be three times the rate of rent. Any other traps like this?

It seems the denser the population, the higher the cost of living. Fairly accurate formula? Looking around, though, I see some cities being cheaper than I'd expect.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Cost of living: Priceless.

There's some things money can buy. But for everything else, there's Metaphours.

Cost of Living: A lot, relatively speaking. Ireland is a very expensive place to live- Dublin is in the top 5 I think with regards to cost of living. Belfast isn't as bad but can still be ridiculous. House prices are high, usually 150,000 and up. We rent.
    Hello. There'll be something here soon.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Cost of Living: Calculated to about $28,000 a year. Maybe a little less if you tighten your belt and live very frugally.

From what I've seen, Atlanta is probably about the same, if not a little less than that.

Denser population is definitely a factor. Other factors:

-Nearby county and city economy
    -Number of jobs available
    -Number of places to live available
    -Types of jobs available (more corporate, high-paying jobs = high cost of living because people in the area have more money to spend)
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INtP

I was looking at this a while back - I'm half-not-really thinking of moving. Although it is tempting. I was promptly unenthused when my top choice (San Fransisco) was a LOT more expensive, and only paid slightly more . As it turns out, where I live now (St. Louis, MO) came out better than almost anyplace else (except Houston... and... no thanks). The web site I was looking at only included comparisons between U.S. cities, so I didn't get to check Australia or Canada.

But anyway, if you're looking for U.S. information, try salary.com (search on Google for "san fransisco cost of living" and take the link - you can't link to the tool directly from here, unfortunately)- they have a comparison that includes both cost of living and salary, so you can get a better idea of how different areas really compare.

San Fransisco = 71% more expensive than St. Louis... with only 21% more pay... a HUGE hit. Guess that's not likely to happen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INxJ

Scottsdale, Arizona

Median family income
    (per year) $84,747
    Family purchasing power
    (annual, cost-of-living adjusted) $59,639

Sales tax 7.95%
    State income tax rate
    (highest bracket) 5.04%*
    State income tax rate
    (lowest bracket) 2.87%*

Auto insurance premiums
    (Average for the state) $2,588
    Job growth %
    (2000-2005) 8.75%

Housing
    Median home price $370,000
    Home price gain
    (2004-2005) 25.40%

Health
    Has health plan
    (% of residents) 84.9%
    Body mass index
    (avg. for residents) 26
    Cancer mortality
    (per 100,000, age-adjusted) 182.6
    Cardiac mortality
    (per 100,000) 187.3

Meet the neighbors
    Median age 39.9
    Completed at least some college
    (% of residents) 73.8%
    Married 53.7%
    Divorced 12.5%
    Amount spent on vacations
    (domestic and foreign, household avg. per year) $8,272

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Scottsdale, AZ snapshot

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Houston, TX

The average cost of a 1 bedroom apt. here: $600+, 2 bedroom $700-800 and up. Mine was $570, to be exact, a month.
    Groceries: I had carefully thought out meal plans for myself, complete with portion sizes and etc. I made about $400 a month on groceries for two people (plus all the guests lol)
    Gas: Currently bobbing between $2.40 - 2.70 per gallon.
    My numbers are outdated on electrical, water, and other costs like this.

Going based on the information I had though, it cost me about $1,000 a month to live including all expenses from gas money, groceries, insurances, rent, electricity, water, trash, etc. It's probably gone up a bit since then, but that was the cost to stay afloat in my apartment 2006-2007.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post

Cost of Living: Calculated to about $28,000 a year. Maybe a little less if you tighten your belt and live very frugally.

From what I've seen, Atlanta is probably about the same, if not a little less than that.
    $28,000, are you sure? That's $13.50 per hour, or $540 per week, or $2250 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Houston, TX

The average cost of a 1 bedroom apt. here: $600+, 2 bedroom $700-800 and up. Mine was $570, to be exact, a month.
    Groceries: I had carefully thought out meal plans for myself, complete with portion sizes and etc. I made about $400 a month on groceries for two people (plus all the guests lol)
    Gas: Currently bobbing between $2.40 - 2.70 per gallon.
    My numbers are outdated on electrical, water, and other costs like this.

Going based on the information I had though, it cost me about $1,000 a month to live including all expenses from gas money, groceries, insurances, rent, electricity, water, trash, etc. It's probably gone up a bit since then, but that was the cost to stay afloat in my apartment 2006-2007.
    These are numbers I'm used to, it sounds much like where I live now. Though I don't live in the city of Atlanta, I just live near it, so of course I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    But anyway, if you're looking for U.S. information, try salary.com...
    Thanks, yes, I've been looking at several websites like that. Just doing more checking with people for their "real experiences," in case I can't trust the numbers.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTP

Somerset county NJ: "We have the 10th highest income in the nation and the lowest poverty rate for a county with more than 250k people, but you're going to need that income to survive here".

Basically, you'll get paid well here, but figure about 30% more expensive cost of living. The only thing cheap here is the gas.

Housing: Houses are 150-300% above other parts of the country I'd say. For reference: my home is in a quiet neighborhood, on 0.3 acres, about 3200 sq ft, and 40 years old, although updated. If I put it up for sale today, I could get about $400k for it easily.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

i would love to start a thread about what the "minimum but comfortable cost of living is" in the avg american city. like as in, "if i live frugally, almost martial...how much do i need to make for it to be 'comfortable'/'bearable'/sustainable etc...?"