User Tag List

First 4567 Last

garbage

I take notes that look like disorganized mind maps during the class itself, and I pretty much rely solely on those when I study. I also have music, a chatroom, a few websites, and maybe the TV going at the same time.

It works extremely well.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    I absorb tons of infos without making some connections or conclusions about them, and then after absorbing it i just in few days connect all of it.. in other words, i perceive, perceive and perceive for long time, don't know anything really, and then in the end suddenly i know all in few days.

it's good and bad ... since i listen course by course in school, so if course lasts 3 months.... it takes me to much to get into it. but not that i try hard to be honest.
    The Si+Ne way. Awesomeness.

For myself, I don't have a snowball's chance of learning anything if I don't grasp the larger picture before I start absorbing massive amounts of information. (I'll eventually forget the procedural details and end up reworking the solution through the theory.) It's no wonder why I performed so poorly in several high school courses -- the teachers did not bother highlighting the ultimate purpose of material. Only then in college I discovered my learning preferences and began whizzing by the textbooks. It was rather handy when I had an INTP professor who loved introducing new problems on the exams, which required a thorough understanding of the theories she taught. About 85% of the class loathed her instruction style. Sure, I could also use some more hard deadlines, but I didn't share their sentiments.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    The Si+Ne way. Awesomeness.

For myself, I don't have a snowball's chance of learning anything if I don't grasp the larger picture before I start absorbing massive amounts of information. (I'll eventually forget the details and end up reworking the solution through the theory.) It's no wonder why I performed so poorly in several high school courses -- the teachers did not bother highlighting the ultimate purpose of material. Only then in college I discovered my learning preferences and began whizzing the textbooks. It was rather handy when I had an INTP professor who loved introducing new problems on the exams, which required a thorough understanding of the theories she taught. About 85% of the class loathed her instruction style. Sure, I could also use some more hard deadlines, but I didn't share their sentiments.
    That's very interesting. For me, I feel like I need to look at a high level description of the big picture, then work through a concrete example. While working through it, I need to have the big picture pointed out for me again. It is only at that point when I can finally understand and absorb the high level description. After this process, I can apply the high level stuff to new problems easily.

I guess that's the S/N difference.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    That's very interesting. For me, I feel like I need to look at a high level description of the big picture, then work through a concrete example. While working through it, I need to have the big picture pointed out for me again. It is only at that point when I can finally understand and absorb the high level description. After this process, I can apply the high level stuff to new problems easily.

I guess that's the S/N difference.
    That served my ISFJ sister well in Biology AP.... yet the exact opposite in my case.

Your style: [Detailed ---> Broad]
    1. (Si) High level descriptions
    2. (Ne) Connecting the different dots

My style: [Broad ---> Detailed]
    1. (Ni) Get the one main picture
    2. (Se) See how the main picture applies to what can be immediately observed
    3. Then (Ne) and (Si)

Perhaps it's also a SJ and NJ difference. I like studying backwards by beginning at the end.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    For myself, I don't have a snowball's chance of learning anything if I don't grasp the larger picture before I start absorbing massive amounts of information. (I'll eventually forget the procedural details and end up reworking the solution through the theory.).
    yeah, this is what i meant actually. i guess it's Ne+Si.
    I need to perceive big picture in order to start memorizing stuff... but while perceiving i actually do memorize it subconsciuosly and totally without order or linearly...(which is mostly not enough).. so when i get grasp of bigger picture i can use Si and make it lined and stored.
    This is my passive learning style, so I feel most comfortable with it. If I need to study more efficiently because I'm in hurry with deadlines, I try to use more Si and Te, which is very uncomfortable to me.

I read somewhere like.. ENFPs have inferior Si, so... they memorize stuff poorly, and mostly in symbols. This is case with me. I can't linearly memorize stuff.. like in time line.
    For example, I studied now physiology, it's huge exam, one of three biggest in whole medicine, and... stuff is totally linear, like (reduced version, actually this is written on 100 pages)"when concentration of Na+ Cl- gets lower in plasma, blood pressure gets lower, then kidney recognizes lower levels of Na+ Cl- and starts to produce hormon renyne, who then affects kidneys to reabsorb more H2O and NaCl which makes blood pressure and plasma volume again normal...... blah blah blah"
    so all of book is like that, 1000 pages of mechanisms, it's actually very linear, despite you can see big picture, it's more important to see smaller stuff in this, linearly.. what happens after what.

so physiology definately doesn't suit my learning style.

most STJs I know have excell physiology because they store it dirrectly, don't search bigger picture that much.

but I can learn in STJ way when I need to, its just annoying.. to think and store. but also i will ASAP forget that inter-steps, details of ogranism functions...

when i studied with friend about renal system etc... there are tons of pages on kidneys and I closed the book and asked "so..what do you think, whats the thing with kidneys ? " she lol'd because it's insane to try to know it through bigger picture... So I failed Physilogy today I missed 1 point out of 120 to pass. going again in 3 weeks. Now I have to think like STJ for 2 months.

On the other hand, Anatomy - could be also called "Si-only" lol, I learned it very well, easier than physiology, but I put more effort and much more time, and it's not linear, you can have chaos of data in your head.

Of course there are positive sides of being N dominant, because I'm sure I need less time to get it and learn it then others when I want to, + in exams I really give my best, I use all N in me to figure possible answers, and my intuition is very precize in figuring out which is important and how does each professor think so depending on who writes test i learn in his way.

It was rather handy when I had an INTP professor who loved introducing new problems on the exams, which required a thorough understanding of the theories she taught. About 85% of the class loathed her instruction style. Sure, I could also use some more hard deadlines, but I didn't share their sentiments.
    Oh I love this! I will do it if I ever teach. But of course I will try not to make it too hard...

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    I take notes that look like disorganized mind maps during the class itself, and I pretty much rely solely on those when I study. I also have music, a chatroom, a few websites, and maybe the TV going at the same time.

It works extremely well.
    oh i can NEVER take notes, I never owned a notebook for real... since elementary school..

but i have TV, phone, chats, music all on, lol.

I also had this method I tried last summer of combinating 2 opposite stuff, I learned biochemistry for 3 hours, then I made pause for 30 minutes and read a novel. I really rested that way. So I could learn whole day without getting bored or tired. It's good when you're in a hurry with deadlines.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

In general, I study last minute. And it often stops with reading the material once.

However, if whatever I am studying peaks my interest... Well.. I tend to study way beyond whatever was assigned. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    In general, I study last minute. And it often stops with reading the material once.

However, if whatever I am studying peaks my interest... Well.. I tend to study way beyond whatever was assigned. :P
    Same!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I don't/last minute.

Unless it is like, chemistry or music, something I like. If I like it, I will sit down and read the textbook. Happened in literature and in now in chemistry.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
    Clairvoyance - I press the textbook against my forehead and I acquire the information instantaneously.
    Please teach me this trick.

I envy you people who don't have to study. When I study, I can't listen to music or have people in the room talking, etc. I really think I suck at studying and would like to improve my methods. I'm a big case of "learns best by doing". I'm great at practical learning but I struggle with retaining theory or abstract concepts. At best I just cram and regurgitate them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't study, I remember just about everything, not to brag but I'm what you'd call gifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Incidentally, I believe that I am a dominant Ti user, and I often have trouble explaining things that I understand well. It's a matter of organizing the presentation of material. I can have it perfectly organized in my head all at once, but structuring the sequential delivery of material so that others understand is a different matter entirely, and requires a different skill set that I am apparently lacking.