User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm lucky that I have a photographic memory. If it's something really complicated I have no time to understand deeply, I will stare at the page with maximum concentration for 1 minute - 1 minute and half and will usually be able to write it back almost fully (esp. true when the page is about math formulas, less so if it's dense with words). Otherwise, if I want to comprehend deeply, I will have to rewrite my notes in my own terms, giving my own interpretation, reading from multiple sources - it's a slow process, often not fit for school purposes.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP

Take notes. Lots of notes. Try to make my notes pretty so I will be compelled to look at it.

Outside noise really distracts me so I usually put on some FAST! music. Simply because I will feel sleepy if I use slow music.

Sometimes I just put whatever I'm supposed to be studying and put it into the song I'm listening to in my head. Makes it more catchy.

Oh yes and copious amounts of caffiene.

I'm studying media by the way, which doesn't require too much studying actually, its more assignment based but yeah, if I have an exam, this is how I study.

I usually study in short spurts as well, I can't do hours and hours without getting distracted.
    I am an ENFP but I value justice over mercy.

MBTI
    fool

I liked that my psychology teacher let me do courses independently and gave me assignments/essays to do before the course final. I basically read the book, wrote a study diary and answered the questions in essay forms and did mind maps. It's been so far the best way to go for me.

If I become interested in something I want to learn as much as I can and will go my way to do research. And I've found I usually like learning best alone with material and some instructions that give me a guideline and a goal but let me be independent enough to do it on my pace and time and way.

But I also enjoy teamwork and studying in groups, discussing about the matter with others, they've got their own perspectives and emphasises to offer.

MBTI
    istp

when it came to me and studying, it was never a question of how, but if

although, this was in highschool and 100-200 college classes where most of the information is presented in class if you can manage to pay attention.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Business courses
    1) Print out powerpoint presentation to paper
    2) Write down details and examples from the book onto the powerpoint. Write down enough so the concept is concrete to me. Draw arrow to make sure I understand which subtopic belongs to which topic
    3) Study powerpoint presentation
    3a) Study by writing down hierarchy to make sure i know which subtopic belongs to which topic.

Non-theory based Computer Science courses
    2) Study process of how things work and be able to recreate said process

Theory heavy Math courses
    1) Study practice problems presented in class and hope something similar will be on the exam.
    2) Memorize the theory taught in class
    I usually get the theory questions wrong

I envy people with photographic memory.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    Business courses
    2) Write down details and examples from the book onto the powerpoint. Write down enough so the concept is concrete to me. Draw arrow to make sure I understand which subtopic belongs to which topic
    3) Study powerpoint presentation
    3a) Study by writing down hierarchy to make sure i know which subtopic belongs to which topic.

Non-theory based Computer Science courses
    2) Study process of how things work and be able to recreate said process

Theory heavy Math courses
    1) Study practice problems presented in class and hope something similar will be on the exam.
    2) Memorize the theory taught in class
    I usually get the theory questions wrong

I envy people with photographic memory.
    I think I'm love. It's so organized and complete.

Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    Music is essential.

Physics/chemistry/biology: I must read the textbook, understand, what it's all about.

Fast forward to test day, 'The universe consists of 200 billion stars.. TRUE or FALSE'

I fail.

How do you study?
    If I can remember, I will type out a more detailed list later.

Here are a few pointers for studying science:

1. Discover all your learning styles. (Visual, Auditory, Tactical, Study Groups, Theoretical, Outlines, etc. I promise you this bit of knowledge will greatly improve your performance.)

2. Seek out a professor that matches your style, if possible.

3. Observe the theoretical system first. The details will follow. (If you have poor memory, recalling the formulas will save you on the exams. Your professor could decide to be tricky and test their students on unfamiliar problems -- which stems from the same principles.)

4. Keep a list of those 'formulas', highlighting the main points of the course.

5. Get outlines of the material. It will cut down the study hours. (Sparknotes. Study guides. Past students.)

6. Find something personally relevant in the material. (You won't remember a detail that you can't relate to.)

7. Make the subject interesting yourself. (Singing songs of the chemical solubility chart is how some people bring color into a dull world.)

8. When reading a textbook, look at the titles/headlines first. Read the summaries. If you already feel exhausted, put away the text and open it again in a few hours. Now the ideas are starting to 'sink' into your head and you can proceed without being overwhelmed. Rinse & repeat.

9. Most importantly, do not let yourself fall behind in the course. Ask for outside help whenever needed. (Science concepts build on top of another, a poor comprehension of the previous will affect your learning process.)

10. Lastly, the key to science is asking the right questions. What don't you know?

11. Remember to make studying easier, not harder for yourself. Study smarter. If you're resisting the information, find another way to gain it.

Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    Physics/chemistry/biology: I must read the textbook, understand, what it's all about.
    There's no must, only choose. If you must do something, the chances are you resisting the task. Find out what would make you "choose" a particular choice.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INFP

Silence, no distraction.

I study with a headphone used by streetworkers against the noise. (8

"We all have time to spend or waste, and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever. "-Bruce lee

I absorb tons of infos without making some connections or conclusions about them, and then after absorbing it i just in few days connect all of it.. in other words, i perceive, perceive and perceive for long time, don't know anything really, and then in the end suddenly i know all in few days.

it's good and bad ... since i listen course by course in school, so if course lasts 3 months.... it takes me to much to get into it. but not that i try hard to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    I absorb tons of infos without making some connections or conclusions about them, and then after absorbing it i just in few days connect all of it.. in other words, i perceive, perceive and perceive for long time, don't know anything really, and then in the end suddenly i know all in few days.

it's good and bad ... since i listen course by course in school, so if course lasts 3 months.... it takes me to much to get into it. but not that i try hard to be honest.
    I work the same. And my thoughts become really clear in exams, just has to be in there to connect.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I liked to read the text book out loud to myself and note things that i think would be important. I often put definitions on index cards for later use on tests and stuff. I also like to make up my own test questions from information in the books to help prepare for tests and to help me retain information.

However, I usually don't study at all or sometimes I study for a quiz 10 minutes before it's time. I have to be really interested in a class to want to study. I do well without studying anyway.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.