User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default F minus minus.

Not well.

I never taught myself to study and I feel I half-ass it when I do. I think that my textbooks should be rewritten into Wikipedia articles or told to me fireside as if they are ancient tales, and I'd likely retain more than I do now when I sit down to learn.

I can't read mass amounts of information of things I don't care about and retain it (if I love the topic, it's a different story) so I try to read over everything, break it down into sections, make outlines, and then make lists. It's the only way I get anything done.

Oh, and music on in the background.
    the flames and smoke climbed out of every window and disappeared with everything that you held dear. but you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need 'cause you knew you were finally free.
    ben gibbard

heart on fire

Use Baroque music, hand copy text, force myself to read it and then explain it in my own terms, use handmade flash cards to memorize important facts (won't last long, usually do this night before test), eat fish.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

When I study I'm more neurotic than usual...

No music
    No people in the room (their energy throws me off)
    The lighting has to be just so
    Snacks and water close by
    Comfortable clothes

I get everything that I need and sort of nest at my desk (a massive thing covered in important junk)

I read the textbook line by line and use colored pencils to underline important parts. Highlighters are too bright and too smudgy. Yes, I color code everything. For exams I get the study guide and make flashcards and/or explain the concept in my own words on blank paper without "peeking" until I have it down. For papers, I write the paper as an argument for my opinion on whatever matter. Then I go back and "cut" each paragraph and "paste" it into a new document to reword it so that it stands on its own and fits the assignment. Then I use "search" to find words I tend to over use and put something from the thesaurus in their place.

I also tend to argue with my professors but we have smaller classes so that's possible (some universities have massive freshman classes). Nothing will tell you more about a topic than a pissed off professor. For me, arguing with them is motivation to read the text and/or google stuff. I think this is why I had a tougher time in math... you can't argue with numbers.
    Last edited by chasingAJ; 08-13-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: I just said I was neurotic...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    With key facts I find some way to link said key fact to something really stupid. Then I'll remember it because it's so stupid.
    I learned the Periodic table for physical science that way! I can remember very little of it now, but I know my way to remember Silicon (16) was thinking that 8 women were walking around with fake breasts. Logical? Not so much. Did it work? I still remember it six years later.
    the flames and smoke climbed out of every window and disappeared with everything that you held dear. but you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need 'cause you knew you were finally free.
    ben gibbard

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post

For me, it's all about for whom the bell tolls at the 11th hour. :horor:
    I.e. not studying things out of interest but need for school. Then, its:
    Study or death. The only way to get my ass motivated. High risk.

I also do not like any noise, music, etc. Focus zone. SILENCE!
    Sometimes, I will go to study at a close friend's place, who 'know of my ways' to prod me to 'stay on task'. An external outlet to account to. Baby.
    YES!

I probably should have mentioned that I pretty much argue with professors during the semester and then right before something is due I got neurotic on it.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    I learned the Periodic table for physical science that way! I can remember very little of it now, but I know my way to remember Silicon (16) was thinking that 8 women were walking around with fake breasts. Logical? Not so much. Did it work? I still remember it six years later.
    Precisely.

Illogical AND logical ways of remembering things are both awesome. That is an awesome way to remember silicon!
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I feel a bit out of place here.

I'll read something once or twice usually (depends on the subject,) then I'm pretty much good to go.

If it's an important subject, I'll make sure to look over the study guide and fill that out the night before a test or an exam, and then I'll review it for ten to twenty minutes before I take the test.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

To Blank: Lucky whore.
    ben gibbard

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

To Blank: I remember those days... before I found illicit drugs and long before children...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    To Blank: I remember those days... before I found illicit drugs and long before children...
    Yeah. I'm smart enough to stay away from drugs, and smart enough to not have a child until I'm financially stable.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;