User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Hard to find a job

has anyone here tried finding employment in the past 6~8 months? Have you had a lot of difficulty finding work, or have you not noticed anything out of the ordinary? For me, being a college student with very limited work experience as it is, its been a 2 month long search. There are just very few people hiring right now in my area of California (unemployment 11.6% state wide) and employers have been unusually adamant in finding people with prior experience, something that I know wasn't a big issue back in the 2007~2008 time period. From what I've experienced, recession = major job suckage.

Now that I've finally found my dirt paying job in the sky, I just have to hope that the company wont get hit with layoffs come the next big unemployment wave and economic downturn before the end of the year.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I'm an unskilled 17 year old with 11 years of schooling under my belt searching for basic crap jobs and I have had no luck.

This is such a coincidence that you posted this, Risen, because I was wondering today why it was so hard to find a job! It's such a small world..

I have applied to no less than 10 places in my town. To be a dishwasher at a few joints, a waiter, a cashier, to sell tickets at our movie theater, to rent out movies, and to work in the library and haven't heard back from a single place. I have talked to a few of my friends and they've said that nobody has been hiring recently.

It's really annoying, because I need the money to go to Italy, pay for my car, and gas. It's a pain and I'm sick and tired of filling out application after application.

But that's the real world and other people have it harder and I should be happy because I am fortunate enough to even be able to get a job. It's still tough, though. Getting a job didn't seem like such a hassle, because all of my friends had gotten jobs before me.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm honestly to the point that I wish some of these older, more qualified applicants would just die and get out of my way already. I'm tired of not having an opportunity because they're still breathing!

I don't have any compassion left. I don't care if they have a family. I don't care if they need it more. I don't care if they deserve it more. I am tired of sitting here, trapped in a situation where I can only spend money and not make it. Where I can't gather the resources I supposedly need to get one in the first place. I do not want to sit here and accomplish nothing for the next few years.

I am out of patience, and would advocate any solution, no matter how bloody or cruel. I am no longer willing to accept this state of affairs.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Athenian: I you.

MBTI
    INTJ

I have a college degree and years of work experience and I can't even find a job that only requires a high school diploma...so yes, I'm having a hard time.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

White male
    No experience
    Criminal Record
    Some college completed

Even if I could find a job, affirmative action would make virtually any other applicant more appealing

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Yeah, I second (third, fourth, 8th) what everyone has said. I tried to get a job but no luck (I live up in the Bay Area). People with degrees, people with children to support, middle aged men and women are all applying for jobs that would normally be a good fit for me (18, no college, a little work experience). I went to a bookstore to drop off an application and the three people in line in front of me were there to do the same thing. It's madness.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Clownmaster View Post
    White male
    No experience
    Criminal Record
    Some college completed

Even if I could find a job, affirmative action would make virtually any other applicant more appealing
    I think JCPenney (was just hired there) actually has an initiative to promote a diverse workplace (minorities) based on some info I've dug up about the company. Works for me I guess, though it's still just as/more hard for an unskilled black man out there as it is for anyone else.

What i don't get about this company is the wacky female to male ratio. I swear It's nothing less than 4:1 females to males. There's like tons of women and a handful of men in that store, with at least half of the few men being in upper management positions. It will be interesting working in a mostly female environment, for good or for bad...

Not my type of job at all, but at least i have something. I'd probably rather be washing dishes (and likely getting paid more for it without the BS of retail), but alas, I've been told I'm not "experienced" enough to wash dishes. Mother f***er, how much experience does it take to clean of some goddamn plates and stick them into a dishwasher!? Must be s***ting me.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Clownmaster View Post
    White male
    No experience
    Criminal Record
    Some college completed

I don't think affirmative action is your problem, but if you want to make that your scapegoat, then so be it.

I'm in the same boat.. I got laid off back in January. I have a college degree but yet can't even get a job filing or answering phones. I'm going back to school in the fall, but it was damn scary before I got all of that lined out. Otherwise, it has been the most interesting government subsidized vacation I've ever had... but for the love of god I freaking need to work my brain again!!!!!!