User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Most people on this forum probably have a lot more education than I do. How hopeless do you think that makes ME feel?

I'm never going to have anything I want. I'm going to be expected to consistently struggle just to be able to afford to eat dirt, if I ever get out on my own. I can't live like that... and I won't live like that.
    I know how you 'feel' as i left school without any qualifications, especially on this site being surrounded by people with PHD's etc. Don't let it get to you.
    I just try and put a different spin on things when i am in self criticizing mood.
    I am not educated to a high standard but i have some excellent life skills, which money can not buy.

I have been back to school so many times and done my little courses to help me out along the way.

Life has a way of falling in place. Stay optimistic and i am sure things will look up for you.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yeah. You guys probably are. I'm actually not... I've got a high school diploma and nothing else. No experience, no volunteering, no extracurricular activities, no references, no car, no college, etc. Most people on this forum probably have a lot more education than I do. How hopeless do you think that makes ME feel?

I'm never going to have anything I want. I'm going to be expected to consistently struggle just to be able to afford to eat dirt, if I ever get out on my own. I can't live like that... and I won't live like that.
    Don't be so hard on yourself. We all had to start somewhere. When I was really young and desperate, I interned for free at a company for a summer. I busted my ass and ate half my peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the morning for breakfast and half for lunch. Couldn't afford to even take public transportation and would literally walk miles to get there. Fortunately, I was hired within a few weeks and was quickly promoted through the ranks.

Sometimes you just gotta earn your stripes and be completely without ego. Is there any company that you would like to learn more about? And career of interest? I say, try to do it for free at first. You will learn immensely because everyone will have you doing everything. And if you are pleasant and hard working, you will get hired. I've seen every industry do this from pharmaceutical companies all the way down to recording studios. There is always work and free training if you are willing and able to sacrifice a few months of pay for a lifetime of experience. And a paid job usually comes out of that. It gives people a chance to audition you somehow. And if you don't get the paying job, at least you have experience on your resume.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Most people on this forum probably have a lot more education than I do. How hopeless do you think that makes ME feel?
    hey athenian, i dropped out of highschool and didn't get my GED until i was in my mid 20's. i went to college for a short while, but left that also. i run into a lot of people more educated than me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    We all had to start somewhere. When I was really young and desperate, I interned for free at a company for a summer. I busted my ass and ate half my peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the morning for breakfast and half for lunch. Couldn't afford to even take public transportation and would literally walk miles to get there.

Sometimes you just gotta earn your stripes and be completely without ego.
    yeah, i agree. i think being desperate when i was young, and working myself down to my bones, really paid off for me. it gave me a lot of perspective, taught me to be content. and you are right jenocyde, it really broke down my ego.
    i have a feeling that if i hadn't worked so hard when i was young i would be more anxious and apprehensive now, instead of letting go of worry.

also, jenocyde, your comment of 'i ate half my sandwich for breakfast and half my sandwich for lunch' really strikes me in an artistic way, it perfectly captures that young and desperate life for me.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm going to translate what CaptainChick said into NT-nese, beacuase she is right and some NTs might dismiss what she said due to NF-ish presentation...

Trust is the most important commodity when it comes to new hires. Bosses will often keep quasi competent, quasi retarded employee than take a risk with someone new ("sure bobby is kind of retarded and a bit of a fuck up, but at least I know what to expect").

You can't build trust with a resume. So the chances of getting a job using social skills are astronomically higher than through other qualifications (absent few rare exceptions)

Most people balk at changes and prefer to avoid risks.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    yeah, i agree. i think being desperate when i was young, and working myself down to my bones, really paid off for me. it gave me a lot of perspective, taught me to be content. and you are right jenocyde, it really broke down my ego.
    i have a feeling that if i hadn't worked so hard when i was young i would be more anxious and apprehensive now, instead of letting go of worry.

also, jenocyde, your comment of 'i ate half my sandwich for breakfast and half my sandwich for lunch' really strikes me in an artistic way, it perfectly captures that young and desperate life for me.
    That's the thing. People look down on certain types of work, but there is nothing shameful about a hard day's work. Lord knows I never would have gotten as much as I have now, if I hadn't rolled up my sleeves and just did what I had to do. I can't tell you the menial jobs I've had. I was a teenage runaway, there were no other (legal) options. I kid you not, I even used to mop floors in the dirty movie theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I'm going to translate what CaptainChick said into NT-nese, beacuase she is right and some NTs might dismiss what she said due to NF-ish presentation...

Trust is the most important commodity when it comes to new hires. Bosses will often keep quasi competent, quasi retarded employee than take a risk with someone new ("sure bobby is kind of retarded and a bit of a fuck up, but at least I know what to expect").

You can't build trust with a resume. So the chances of getting a job using social skills are astronomically higher than through other qualifications (absent few rare exceptions)

Most people balk at changes and prefer to avoid risks.
    Edgar and CC are completely correct. There is something to be said for learning how to communicate with people. We spend more time with our coworkers than we do with our families, on average. I don't care if you are talkative or not, but you have to learn to speak well, speak confidently and make all different types of people comfortable in your presence. It truly is an important, intelligent skill.

MBTI
    INTJ

I can't tell you the menial jobs I've had. I was a teenage runaway, there were no other (legal) options. I kid you not, I even used to mop floors in the dirty movie theater.
    Did you get to meet Paul Ruebens?

If so, I'm jealous.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Did you get to meet Paul Ruebens?

If so, I'm jealous.
    Awww, poor Pee Wee... What else was he supposed to be doing in there?

Bet all you INTs are happy for the internet, just for that one reason...

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

That's the thing. People look down on certain types of work, but there is nothing shameful about a hard day's work. Lord knows I never would have gotten as much as I have now, if I hadn't rolled up my sleeves and just did what I had to do. I can't tell you the menial jobs I've had. I was a teenage runaway, there were no other (legal) options. I kid you not, I even used to mop floors in the dirty movie theater.
    yeah, i had a few menial jobs too, and a lot of very hard jobs. i took a lot of dangerous and undesireable jobs because there were always openings in them, and sometimes a little better pay. i wear my injuries like badges of honor. i am proud of that lifestyle and my working history.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Watching many seasons of survivor has shown me how important rapport can be on a team or in the workplace. Social skills get you very far ahead in that game (the work environment). It doesn't matter what the other laws of the universe or higher logic are, the rules of the game are those set by society and the company/coworkers, so that is the standard you must adhere to or you will fail in that environment. I, being an INTP, hate to compromise my values and beliefs for things I consider to be illogical and superficial, but I can do so when it's required for me to achieve a higher goal. It's all nothing more than a game I must succeed at to reach the next level and get closer to what it is that I truly want and a position in life where I get to make the rules and don't have to suffer on the playing board that has been set for the majority of people. Sometimes I wonder if I'm a J... not.

MBTI
    INTJ

Brian Tracy said that the #1 quality that employers look for is the ability to get along with others. He should know what he's talking about since he's run many successful businesses and been a consultant for many big corporations. So I guess if you're a people person, you'll have an easier time getting hired. If you're not a people person, you could always become self employed.