User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    The really sad thing is that we're probably all "the cream of the crop" from wherever we all are, and the situation is still this horrible.
    Yeah. You guys probably are. I'm actually not... I've got a high school diploma and nothing else. No experience, no volunteering, no extracurricular activities, no references, no car, no college, etc. Most people on this forum probably have a lot more education than I do. How hopeless do you think that makes ME feel?

I'm never going to have anything I want. I'm going to be expected to consistently struggle just to be able to afford to eat dirt, if I ever get out on my own. I can't live like that... and I won't live like that.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've never had difficulty finding a job, holding one down, however, is a whole other story.

I have found two jobs within the past six months, the second one directly stemming from the connections I made through my first.

My m.o. has always been to meet the one who is going to hire me directly, and win them over during the interview process.

I have many skills, but nothing I can really put on paper.

Every job I have ever applied to on paper I've failed to get, whereas every job I have directly interviewed for I've gotten on the spot.

In cases like this I feel quite lucky to be a so-called "people person".
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I've never had difficulty finding a job, holding one down, however, is a whole other story.

I have found two jobs within the past six months, the second one directly stemming from the connections I made through my first.

My m.o. has always been to meet the one who is going to hire me directly, and win them over during the interview process.

I have many skills, but nothing I can really put on paper.

Every job I have ever applied to on paper I've failed to get, whereas every job I have directly interviewed for I've gotten on the spot.

In cases like this I feel quite lucky to be a so-called "people person".
    Yeah. I'm beginning to think people like you are the REALLY intelligent ones. All those kids that appeared to be screwing around with their friends and accomplishing nothing in school, slacking off on their grades? They're the ones who've got jobs now. I know because I spoke to a few of them last year. I turned my nose up at all of that, thinking that my sacrifice of pleasure in the moment would make my future better than theirs. Now they're the ones laughing in my face.

What most consider "shallow" is actually productive behavior, given human nature. And what we consider intelligent is nothing but self-indulgence of the mind in intellectually based ideals that aren't rooted in reality. Everything is made of irony.

I'm intelligent enough to understand HOW to do things, and what they are, but because I'm unable to form, maintain, and rely on connections to people easily, I'm as helpless as a child in a society that's structured around starting off with that ability.

Intelligence is superficial, and superficiality is intelligence. That's reality.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

That's actually pretty deep.

And more than mildly depressing to those of us who wank it to our own (seeming)intelligence.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Yeah. I'm beginning to think people like you are the REALLY intelligent ones. All those kids that appeared to be screwing around with their friends and accomplishing nothing in school, slacking off on their grades? They're the ones who've got jobs now. I know because I spoke to a few of them last year. I turned my nose up at all of that, thinking that my sacrifice of pleasure in the moment would make my future better than theirs. Now they're the ones laughing in my face.

What most consider "shallow" is actually productive behavior, given human nature. And what we consider intelligent is nothing but self-indulgence of the mind in intellectually based ideals that aren't rooted in reality. Everything is made of irony.

I'm intelligent enough to understand HOW to do things, and what they are, but because I'm unable to form, maintain, and rely on connections to people easily, I'm as helpless as a child in a society that's structured around starting off with that ability.

Intelligence is superficial, and superficiality is intelligence. That's reality.
    How is having people skills superficial?

I'll have you know that I am neither shallow nor superficial.

I apologize for actually liking people (sometimes), and I only accept jobs from people I sincerely like. The trend thus far has been, the more I like my job, and the people I work with, the more likely I'll stick to it.

I'm competent, intelligent, reliable, trustworthy, and likable, and my employers seem to notice this about me and hence appreciate me as an employee.

Pursue jobs that suit your personality, I like interacting with people, and this directly relates to the fact that I happen to be working as both a caregiver and nanny, at the moment.

Again, I am confused by your presumptuous and erroneous claims in your post.

I LOVE learning, and have always LOVED learning, I tend to be a slacker when it comes to shit I don't want to do but how does that make me less intelligent and more shallow?!?!?

You are a human being, and human beings are social creatures.

Having people skills is an asset and I guess also an epigenetic blessing.

You seem bitter. :/
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

How is having people skills superficial?

I'll have you know that I am neither shallow nor superficial.

I apologize for actually liking people (sometimes), and I only accept jobs from people I sincerely like. The trend thus far has been, the more I like my job, and the people I work with, the more likely I'll stick to it.

I'm competent, intelligent, reliable, trustworthy, and likable, and my employers seem to notice this about me and hence appreciate me as an employee.

Pursue jobs that suit your personality, I like interacting with people, and this directly relates to the fact that I happen to be working as both a caregiver and nanny, at the moment.

Again, I am confused by your presumptuous and erroneous claims in your post.

I LOVE learning, and have always LOVED learning, I tend to be a slacker when it comes to shit I don't want to do but how does that make me less intelligent and more shallow?!?!?

You are a human being, and human beings are social creatures.

Having people skills is an asset and I guess also an epigenetic blessing.

You seem bitter. :/
    Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that YOU'RE shallow, just that you know how to embrace shallowness from time to time. I know you're intelligent, but I was pointing out that most people with good social skills aren't "intelligent" in the normal sense of the word at all, and they still get by just fine. Basically, that "intelligence" is a handicap rather than an asset in most situations.

I am a bit bitter... mostly because I don't have a job, or any friends for that matter.

As for why people skills are superficial... well, because generally speaking, it involves appealing to what people like rather than what's technically true or makes sense. This is considered "superficial" from an intellectual perspective, mostly because it largely makes the intellectual perspective itself seem invalid.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm pretty sure that Athenian meant that the people s/he knows who are able to obtain a job on the spot based on one interview are so-and-so kinds of people--not necessarily implying that you are exactly like them.

Also, who wouldn't be bitter if they couldn't find a job?

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Athenian.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is how I would describe and define my people skills:

Ever since I was young I have taken an interest in people, in the way they work, in why they do the things they do.

I have always been attracted to observing and understanding why people act in certain ways, and what triggers people to feel how they feel.

A lot of this has also stemmed from my own ongoing attempts at understanding myself, who I am, and why I am the way I am.

Believe it or not, but there is a whole lot of thinking, theorizing and problem solving that goes into understanding human nature.

And, empathy and compassion as well.

Having people skills, or caring about people and human nature is not a trivial or superficial pursuit.

I have found that people like people who are sincere, and that people like people who listen to them and withhold judgment. People also like people who they feel as though they can easily connect to and confide in.

I am very open and nonjudmental (in the classical sense) when dealing with people, and I believe this pays off.

But if you feel alienated from others, so different from them that you feel as though you don't even speak the same language or live on the same metaphorical plane, I can understand how it would be difficult to engage them, or be engaging to them.

I dunno, my father had horrible people skills, and generally detested most people.

This is why he went into the field of radiology where he could, for the most part, be left alone in his office in a hospital basement assessing and diagnosing fractures and diseases from inanimate x-rays into an inanimate dictaphone.

So, there is hope, not all jobs require people skills.

`

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is how I would describe and define my people skills:

Ever since I was young I have taken an interest in people, in the way they work, in why they do the things they do.

I have always been attracted to observing and understanding why people act in certain ways, and what triggers people to feel how they feel.

A lot of this has also stemmed from my own ongoing attempts at understanding myself, who I am, and why I am the way I am.

Believe it or not, but there is a whole lot of thinking, theorizing and problem solving that goes into understanding human nature.

And, empathy and compassion as well.

Having people skills, or caring about people and human nature is not a trivial or superficial pursuit.

I have found that people like people who are sincere, and that people like people who listen to them and withhold judgment. People also like people who they feel as though they can easily connect to and confide in.

I am very open and nonjudmental (in the classical sense) when dealing with people, and I believe this pays off.

But if you feel alienated from others, so different from them that you feel as though you don't even speak the same language or live on the same metaphorical plane, I can understand how it would be difficult to engage them, or be engaging to them.

I dunno, my father had horrible people skills, and generally detested most people.

This is why he went into the field of radiology where he could, for the most part, be left alone in his office in a hospital basement assessing and diagnosing fractures and diseases from inanimate x-rays into an inanimate dictatphone.

So, there is hope, not all jobs require people skills.

Well, yeah. I'm interested in people, too. It's just that I try to do it by reading books about them, or observing from a distance. I like people, but I'm scared of them and don't know how to get them to like me. So I just avoid them, and keep trying to understand them from a distance.

Perhaps that's why this is so frustrating for me. I'm not a person with no interest in people, just one who's afraid of what sort of person I'd be if I tried too hard to appeal to them, or of messing up and being disliked.

Besides, I don't have any existing situations set up where I'm around people on a regular basis like school or work. That makes it ten times harder for me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

People Shmeeple.

With that said, I do have good social skills and know how to work people over when need be. Every interview I've ever managed to get I've always rocked it and been hired on the spot. I tell them exactly what they want to hear, and butter them up a bit. The real challenge is pretending to be enthusiastic about working in retail, because I loathe it so from deep in my soul. Being able to act like flowers sprout from my ass just by being in the story is an art form that would make Denzel Washington look like PeeWee Herman.

*end bragging*