User Tag List

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default GMAT and getting an MBA

So, I think I am pretty committed to applying to UCLA for their Entertainment and Media Management MBA program. Has anyone here gotten an MBA? How difficult would you consider the GMAT? I was a Film major and Business Studies minor, so I took Marketing and Accounting, but I didn't take too much in the way of Statistics or the other stuff that Management or Finance majors did. Is it mostly math and reading comprehension? I will be buying one of the practice books in the next few weeks. Any tips?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I took a course for the GRE which was included people studying the GMAT. Along with math and reading comprehension, you will also need to learn some vocabulary. I'll let someone else who's actually taken the GMAT chime in for more info.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    I took a course for the GRE which was included people studying the GMAT. Along with math and reading comprehension, you will also need to learn some vocabulary. I'll let someone else who's actually taken the GMAT chime in for more info.

I doubt I'll need any vocab work. Do you know how high-level the math is?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

For vocab work keep in mind you'll have to know how to choose analogous words, etc. Those can get a big tricky if you're not careful. The math on these standardized tests are mostly high school level. With enough time and persistence you can solve any of them but that's also the challenge. You have a limited amount of time on those tests so you'll have to learn shortcuts (memorize the square roots of some key numbers like 3 and 5). Familiarize yourself with geometry. Learn how to quickly eliminate wrong choices and "test" the remaining choices. It's OK to reverse engineer a question if it means getting it right.

I think I have some course material that I can e-mail to you if you're interested. Though some parts of the GRE and GMAT are different from each other they share many of the common math strategies. If I remember correctly, you should be able to answer each question in under a minute. Don't let the verbal and writing catch you off guard, it did to me. Luckily my quantitative was able to make up for it.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    YaYa

Did my undergrad in Finance. Took some classes with MBA. Took the GMAT, but haven't gone for the program. I resent the idea of having to repeat classes I've already taken.

Math goes up to basic calc. UCLA is a good program.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    For vocab work keep in mind you'll have to know how to choose analogous words, etc. Those can get a big tricky if you're not careful. The math on these standardized tests are mostly high school level. With enough time and persistence you can solve any of them but that's also the challenge. You have a limited amount of time on those tests so you'll have to learn shortcuts (memorize the square roots of some key numbers like 3 and 5). Familiarize yourself with geometry. Learn how to quickly eliminate wrong choices and "test" the remaining choices. It's OK to reverse engineer a question if it means getting it right.

I think I have some course material that I can e-mail to you if you're interested. Though some parts of the GRE and GMAT are different from each other they share many of the common math strategies. If I remember correctly, you should be able to answer each question in under a minute. Don't let the verbal and writing catch you off guard, it did to me. Luckily my quantitative was able to make up for it.

Thanks, that would be great. PM me and I'll give you an e-mail addy.