• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

progressive discipline

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Do you think its a good policy? Don't you think its hasty for a company to fire someone for a single occurrence? It seems to suggest the employee is inept because he made that one mistake, which obviously isn't true.

So what if a person is late once every week or two? Shit, in the middle east, people show up hours 'late'.

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
Progressive discipline is a necessary policy. It is difficult for people to be terminated for cause otherwise or be terminated without major legal implications.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Do you think its a good policy? Don't you think its hasty for a company to fire someone for a single occurrence? It seems to suggest the employee is inept because he made that one mistake, which obviously isn't true.

So what if a person is late once every week or two? Shit, in the middle east, people show up hours 'late'.

These seem like two entirely different questions to me. I definitely agree with the first paragraph- it doesn't make sense to fire someone for making one mistake, depending on the magnitude of course. But as for the second, being late (even "once every week or two") is not always a so-what offense. It might not be that big a deal in an environment where each person has their share of work and it doesn't matter much what time of day it gets done, and they can just stay a little late if they come in a little late. But in many workplaces being late means other people have to cover for you. Once, as you imply in the first paragraph, is forgivable. Habitually, as in weekly or a few times a month, maybe not so much.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
once every week? like it's happened more then once or twice, once every week is a lot more then once in a blue moon. I have a friend who is always at least 20 minutes late and their's been times i've waited for an hour and I call her and she goes oh sorry something came up. I wasted gas to drive 15 minutes, blew off other people so we could hang out? know what? fuck you! yeah I'm a weird P but I get hives when I'm a few minutes late, and I hate when other people are late I get pissed. how hard is it to be somewhere at the time you said you would be? I mean fine once in awhile I get traffic and family stuff, etc, but repeatly i don't like waiting around for people. if you're going to be late call, don't leave the other person hanging.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
lol that was an angry rant. Besides being late though, anything. What if you're making progress and fixing bad habits, but you're still costing money and the company could still have someone better in who doesn't cost the company (a little bit of) money.

Monday you're late, Tuesday you make x mistake, Wednesday you make y mistake.

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
lol that was an angry rant. Besides being late though, anything. What if you're making progress and fixing bad habits, but you're still costing money and the company could still have someone better in who doesn't cost the company (a little bit of) money.

Monday you're late, Tuesday you make x mistake, Wednesday you make y mistake.

Fixing bad habits is sometimes part of progressive discipline. The company will give the employee a chance to improve (this is of course documented and can play a role in eventually terminating for cause) and if there is no improvement, then perhaps a verbal or written warning may follow. In terms of cost, it is a lot cheaper for a company to help an employee improve and sacrifice a few dollars than get rid of the employee and risk a lawsuit of some sort. If a company does not give an employee a chance to improve, train, or accommodate them, the employee can easily say, "but they never gave me a chance to improve", or, "they never gave me a chance to explain why I am late and possibly accommodate me".

Is there someone you work with who has this problem?

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is there someone you work with who has this problem?

No, its just an ethical question. I feel like bosses use criteria to determine employees' progress, and only that criteria. Its like they stop using their brain, and just use their checklist.

wolfy

awsm
You have to document everything, use a check-list and show how you've worked with the employee on the issues unless you want to end up in court for unfair dismissal.

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
No, its just an ethical question. I feel like bosses use criteria to determine employees' progress, and only that criteria. Its like they stop using their brain, and just use their checklist.

Managers typically have difficulty dealing with employees. Very rare to have an effective manager when it comes to employee relations.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I mean if you can't do your job, then you should be fired. But yeah being fired cuz of one mistake is one thing, make a mistake get a chance to correct it, continue to fuck up, then sorry.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
So what if a person is late once every week or two?

If I did that my boss would give me a medal for effort :). I don't think I've showed up on time two days in a row, unless there was a good reason.