• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Quick Question about College Credits

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Anyone want to help me answer a quick question?

In comparing 4 year degree programs at two different schools, I've noticed that one requires 160 credits while the other requires 120. The programs contain similar subject matter and both involve 3-credit courses, so why such a difference in number of credits required?

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Are they in the same state? I don't think credits have universal regulation even at the state level. That does seem like a big difference though.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
College credits aren't regulated at a state level? Weird. For some reason, I thought they were. OK, well, I guess if that's the case, the amount of credits must just vary from school to school. All the schools I've seen have been around 120, so maybe that's why I was confused. Thanks. :)

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
College credits aren't regulated at a state level? Weird. For some reason, I thought they were. OK, well, I guess if that's the case, the amount of credits must just vary from school to school. All the schools I've seen have been around 120, so maybe that's why I was confused. Thanks. :)

It may vary by state or vary by whom they are accredited. I think Yale even has their own unique diploma system--like they don't call it a "bachelors degree" but have their own set-up. I think it was Yale, might be MIT. :newwink:

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I think it was Yale, might be MIT. :newwink:

Hah. :)

I checked, and the school with the 160 credit program belongs to a state with other 120 credit programs, so it must depend on who gives accreditation.

Me + educational system = dazed rodent ramming around in maze.