User Tag List

First 234

Some volunteering may help.

I'm sure there are plenty of things that have been picked up over the past few years considering that most skills are transferable. It's just a case of sparkling up resumes/CVs... Something I don't do naturally since I try to be modest and because I don't get up to that much. It's essentially a case of drawing blood from a stone.

MBTI
    INFP

I know this is kind of old but I just wanted to say I completely agree with the complaints offered in the OP. The system is disorganized, chaotic, and often inhumane. Just look at what it has wrought.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Bleh. I've had one job - and the restaurant closed down. I had a job at a law firm for 2 days, but I quit for school reasons - got that job by luck through a friend's gf. I've turned in manifold applications for others, but I live in a town with 3 colleges and everyone's looking for work. I heard one of the restaurants here has 300 applications and counting, and they're not even hiring. Tropical Smoothie runs out of applications every week. It's fun stuff. So I have little advice for you beyond "keep trying." For now, I'm going to do some hardcore volunteer work so I don't look and feel like an idle twit and hope I can steal my friend's job at the bookstore when she graduates college in the winter.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    This is my problem. I had no idea that I needed to make or hold on to contacts back when that information could have been more useful. I met several people throughout high school that might have made good contacts if I had kept up with them... but I didn't keep any of their contact information after the year was over, because I... err, kind of grew up under the impression that friendships were supposed to be temporary, like classes or project groups, and only lasted as long as they had a utility to both parties.

The thing is, I'm just looking for a job, so I'm looking for something I know I can do to make money. I... don't want to plan around finding the ideal career. My situation is complicated enough that there are factors other than job satisfaction to consider. Specifically, the main reason I'm looking for a job is to get into a position to see a psychologist about a certain problem, and gather resources to get out of my current situation. So for me, the job is a means to an end... not an end in itself. Though I'm willing to put a lot into it anyway.

This is probably why I don't like this... it's like I'm expected to have had the goal of a career in mind since I was 12, and be way beyond the point of getting my first job. I'm being thrust into a situation at 21 that I'm expected to have dealt with at 16, on top of the lack of availability of the same resources I would have had to get started at 16-18. They scared me out of trying a lot of things by making them sound like a challenge, but apparently that was actually supposed to motivate me. So I didn't react to anything the way I should have. It's funny, though... a lot of things they tell you to do as if they were as simple as breathing are actually quite challenging, and a lot of things they make sound challenging actually would have been easy.

The worst part is... it's like because I have certain advanced abilities in terms of intelligence and reading emotion, people assume I'm already far more advanced in other ways, like keeping contacts and awareness of procedures and options for reaching out to others for help, than I actually am. People will always assume I know what I'm doing in situations where I don't, because I have a set of skills they view as advanced beyond the skill set I don't possess.

It's like (and this is probably a bad analogy)... imagine if someone knew how to do trigonometry and physics, with an intuitive sense of what all the functions could do and why, but couldn't do any basic arithmetic without a calculator. No one would believe this, because trigonometry is viewed as the more advanced skill. But it could potentially happen. I feel that something similar to this has occurred in my social/emotional development, and no one on here believes it's possible, so they don't see it.
    Of course it's possible. Likely, even. Many gifted people have severe deficits in other areas, for various reasons. But what good is all this whining? Do you want people to feel sorry for you or do you want to get a job? People with more serious disabilities manage to find work and contribute to society. You can compensate for your shortcomings by employing your intelligence to solve the problem in an original way. Challenge yourself! Think of it as a game. Strategize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

There's nothing wrong with debt as long as you can pay it back. Debt is a tool. I'm debt leveraged to the teeth, but I sleep just fine because I know I will soon be able to pay it back and then some.

MBTI
    INTP

1. Completely dependent on self-motivation. ... like a human effort-pump.
    That's the way it should be. You get what you put in. Teaching people to most effectively focus that effort is a good idea.

2. No direction. There'
    Too many different people. Too many different career paths. Career counselors already exist in high schools. Do we have employment centers in the US?

3. Inconsistent process. The process for applying to a job changes from job to job, and requires varying information. You're expected to put a lot of effort into each application to make yourself as appealing as possible for the given position.
    4. Competitive.

5. No training.

6. Discourages new workers.
    Free market system. Companies are free to employ people anyway they please. Their goal is to gain maximum economic benefit from their new hire.

The layout of the system, in other words, seems to completely defy the actual competencies of the average person just out of school looking for work. It has no tiers, and it's not designed to start you out at something simple that doesn't pay much, and work your way up (or even let you stay there!)... it's so chaotic that people with tons of experience compete with new workers for the same jobs.
    Education would help. It's a basic lack of job seeking skills. I knew a lawyer who was out of work for two years. He found a job as VP of a financial firm a few weeks after I coached him with some job seeking skills.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Search for your state's Employment Security Commission (ESC) and go there. They have job placement services, classes on how to handle interviews, etc.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii