User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Are you looking for advice on how to get a job, 'cos the OP doesn't read that way. Sounds more like you don't approve of the free-market economy. Guess what? Critiquing the system isn't the way to get the best out of it. It's a case of survival of the hungriest - no-one is gonna come looking for you unless you have already proven yourself exceptional. Especially when unemployment rates are so high. It's a buyer's market.

If you are looking for advice, rather than just grumbling, why not start a thread which makes that clear.
    Well, actually, I WAS critiquing the free market economy. People just started giving me advice, so I went ahead and listened to it.

And yes, that whole "hungry" thing where you have to be exceptional to get a job is exactly what bothers me. I know that on a practical level I have to make it work for me somehow, but I really don't like it at all on a higher level.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, actually, I WAS critiquing the free market economy. People just started giving me advice, so I went ahead and listened to it.

And yes, that whole "hungry" thing where you have to be exceptional to get a job is exactly what bothers me. I know that on a practical level I have to make it work for me somehow, but I really don't like it at all on a higher level.
    Can you suggest an alternative?
    (that actually works)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Can you suggest an alternative?
    (that actually works)
    No, I guess not. I... was kind of hoping someone would agree about the system being flawed and use my thread as a platform to bring up their own idea about how things should be run, and then that could be discussed.

I mean, I would suggest something that induces more cooperation and help getting through, than competition, high demands, and holding on as an individual in the face of opposing odds (that honestly sounds like someone's idea of hell). And something that's more tiered so that newer workers aren't constantly competing with older workers for the same jobs. Basically, it should have more coherent structure, what to do should be more obvious, and there should be more consistency.

I don't know what such a system would look like, but I think those are the main things that should be addressed.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

It's not really flawed for other people though. Just for you. While my anecdotal evidence doesn't help you and is as applicable as any other kind of anecdotal evidence [ie, not very], the system you describe helped me get my first waiting job at a yacht club, having had no prior experience in the service industry whatsoever. I basically went there in a polo shirt and bowled the poor head waitress over with an aura of wit and competence, and I got hired on the spot. Had I sent an application over the internet and been critiqued that way, I probably wouldn't have been hired.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    It's not really flawed for other people though. Just for you. While my anecdotal evidence doesn't help you and is as applicable as any other kind of anecdotal evidence [ie, not very], the system you describe helped me get my first waiting job at a yacht club, having had no prior experience in the service industry whatsoever. I basically went there in a polo shirt and bowled the poor head waitress over with an aura of wit and competence, and I got hired on the spot. Had I sent an application over the internet and been critiqued that way, I probably wouldn't have been hired.
    Yes, yes. That's exactly the problem. People are moving towards the Internet hiring system, and it's almost impossible to get a job that way. It's so much harder because there's no feedback like you'd get in person. If it were still relatively easy to get access to people, this system might actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Yes, yes. That's exactly the problem. People are moving towards the Internet hiring system, and it's almost impossible to get a job that way. It's so much harder because there's no feedback like you'd get in person. If it were still relatively easy to get access to people, this system might actually work.
    Well, then send the application, and physically go to the establishment to follow up.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, then send the application, and physically go to the establishment to follow up.
    Well... I guess the real problem is that they expect you to drive. If I could drive and go around putting in applications/looking for work everywhere I could, I'd find something... yeah, this wouldn't be a problem. I know would have gotten SOMETHING by now that way, even if it was just minimum wage.

The system isn't flawed, I just really slipped through the cracks... badly, on so many different levels. Most kids beg their parents to help them get the car to start with, and then they go around getting a job that way, and from there they start paying to maintain the car out of their own salary.

Guess I'm not in a position to critique it after all, being one of the people standing in the cracks trying to climb out against a solid incline, rather than moving along the track.

Soo...how are you supposed to get to your job if you cannot drive/get there any other way? If you can't get there to ask for an application/interview, how are you going to get there if you actually get the job?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Soo...how are you supposed to get to your job if you cannot drive/get there any other way? If you can't get there to ask for an application/interview, how are you going to get there if you actually get the job?
    :blushing:

That's what trying to deal with the world around me makes me feel like.

There's just... too much. Too much. And it's so hazy, and it doesn't make any sense, it's all incoherent.

I'm so botched that I might as well be scrapped. It's too bad they force human beings to continue existing rather than scrapping them when they don't work right. At least scrap is typically useful in some way.

Anyway, I'm just going to leave this thread alone now. If anyone wants to take it over to discuss a more serious economic issue, be my guest.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian
    I've already decided to try something else besides finding a job
    You're not upper class are you?

What is the something else you've decided to try?

If you are serious about finding a job, post or PM an anonymized resume + fields of interest and you might get more concrete assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.