User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default worst type for the military

I was reading a discussion on INTPcentral about INTP's joining the military. Several INTP's who had spent time in the military said INTP was probably the worst fit. Which got me wondering

What is the worst type [as in worst fit] for the military?

My top 4: INFP, ISFP, INTP, ENFP

INTP: "This makes no sense and is poor Ti", but at least they are T's
    ISFP: "My values tell me not to hurt alive things, I'm gonna go tend to my plants now", but at least they are S's.
    ENFP: "If we just thought outside the box and were willing to try this new cool idea I'm sure everything would be great" but at least they are E's
    INFP: The military is generally considered an ESTJ environment, or perhaps ISTJ. "My values tell me not to take life, now I'm gonna go sit underneath a tree by myself and contemplate the meaning of life"

I've gotta go with one of the I_FP's personally.

MBTI
    enfp

I think NF's can get caught up in it pretty good, as long as the military brotherhood is believable and real.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    I think NF's can get caught up in it pretty good, as long as the military brotherhood is believable and real.
    I was never in it, only around it, but I'd expect to see the military NF's: in the chaplain core, working at the hospital, I am told at the newspaper.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Being an INTP in the military sucks quite a bit most of the time. But it's very good for developping some much needed J abilities that an INTP can use throughout the rest of his life.

And since INTP's tend to have a very high threshold for breaking and usually come in flavour determination just to prove the smallest of things to themselves. They're perfectly capable of dealing and learning to deal with the army.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Ohhh man, you're going to be undergoing the wrath of Kyuuei..
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Who? Me? Bring it on. I support everything I said, 100%.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Who? Me? Bring it on. I support everything I said, 100%.
    LOL, no, the OP
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I was never in it, only around it, but I'd expect to see the military NF's: in the chaplain core, working at the hospital, I am told at the newspaper.
    I know a male INFJ and he's a senior officer in the military, within the special ops department. He's also an engineer who used to diddle with tanks. And, now does contingency planning...which includes, how to spend our $$ on nifty army toys by playing with them first. Nothing that requires the 'feeling' function. He's very strong in his "Thinking" function though, and I initially couldn't type him beyond INxJ.
    Last edited by Qre:us; 06-27-2009 at 06:28 PM.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

You're totally off about the ISFP thing - you mistake them as soft, but many ISFPs can be truly hardened men. MY brother is ISFP and in the army and is doing great there and is a seargant already.

Besides, who do you think is filling all those cook positions in the service right now other than ISFPs?!??!? ESTJs and INTJs? plz...

You, are however, right about INTP being one of the worst types for the military - it just doesnt suit us and what motivates us. In boot camp, they had us receive chow in a certain manner at the dinner hall - you didnt grab the food, you accepted the food with your left hand cupped and right hand over the left wrist (I think? its been awhile). They do this for one very practical reason: its the safest way to exchange a live grenade without dropping it on the deck. But, they don't tell you that in boot camp because they try to drill one thing into you to prepare you for active service : DO THIS NOW AND SHUT UP ABOUT IT, you dont "need to know".

However, If they had TOLD me I was holding that chow as practice for holding a LIVE FUCKING GRENADE, which is what marines do at MCT right after boot camp, I would have taken the excercise MUCH more seriously, believe me. I'm not motivating by orders, I am motivated by reason, and orders are insufficient reasons to do things.

That's the problem of the military life for all NTPs i think - you're rarely given adequate "why" and in most situations are prevented from investigating why. I was only a reservist, so I truly admire NTPs like Nighthawk that made it through active service.

MBTI
    INTP

I served 13 years active duty in the Army, starting with 4 years of military school. It sucked. I alternatingly tried to convince myself I was an ESTJ or ESTP ... years before I even learned about type theory. In my opinion, those two are the perfect molds for the military. They love extraverts, sensors, thinkers ... and are very structured according to the judging aspect. The ESTPs get away with stuff because they often get results when they break rules ... so they are tolerated, even admired at times.

In my opinion INTP is among the poorest of fits. Disregard for authority and arbitratry rules was a big problem for me. I'm surprised I was never court martialed for some of the screaming matches I had with superiors over things they wanted me to do that made no sense to me. Lack of creative or intellectual outlets was also painful. You had to do everything by the book. Finding a better way was not tolerated. Extraversion was thought of very highly. I was frequently called to the carpet for not being outgoing or flamboyant enough. Apparently soldiers love and look up to flamboyant leaders.

I fit in the best when I morphed into an ENTJ/P for short periods (which took a lot of energy) and was able to apply creativity to battlefield strategy for unorthodox, but effective, solutions. The soldiers loved it because we kicked ass in unexpected ways. That was still a fight against many myopic superiors, who didn't like my methods, but at least I felt good about what I was doing. I did cultivate some allies (mosly unorthodox SPs), but also made a lot of enemies due to not following the rules or just plain old personality conflicts with jackasses.

I do believe that INFP might be an even worse fit however, given that every one of their preferences cuts across the military grain. I'm not saying these types cannot succeed in the military ... just that I think it takes a lot more effort than for an archtypical ESTJ or ESTP.