User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I think you underrate the toughness of ESTJ's. The toughness together with the greater ability to follow strict discipline makes ESTJ > ESTP for the military.
    I've seen both do well in the Army. The ESTPs are especially successful during wartime and when breaking the rules yields success. I've seen some rise all the way to the top. I have to give the slight edge to ESTJs for mainstream existence in the military however. They seem to be the best fit for day-to-day operations.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I've seen both do well in the Army. The ESTPs are especially successful during wartime and when breaking the rules yields success. I've seen some rise all the way to the top. I have to give the slight edge to ESTJs for mainstream existence in the military however. They seem to be the best fit for day-to-day operations.
    Oooh, good point. Yeah, the ESTJ would perform better in the day-to-day rigor and discipline, but the ESTP would be more successful in the actual combat, the Se would be vital here.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Yeah but ESTPs have way too many problems with authority and impulsive behavior.

You really can't run a military operation with unpredictable soldiers.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

The worst type for the military are those who believe in MBTI.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Absolutely! That kind of self-analysis can play havoc with the culture of unthinking discipline and obedience...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Absolutely! That kind of self-analysis can play havoc with the culture of unthinking discipline and obedience...
    Hoist on my own petard.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Yeah but ESTPs have way too many problems with authority and impulsive behavior.

You really can't run a military operation with unpredictable soldiers.
    That's also true. I've seen more than one loose cannon totally screw up an operation. It's quite a mixed bag. If, as Keirsey suggests, SPs trust their impulses ... then good impulses can equal success. I had one commander who seemed to go off half-cocked a lot ... but is methods were invariable successful. Unfortunately, he did not always take the big picture into account. During one operation, he was tactically successful in destroying an enemy unit twice the size of his ... but he also tipped off the larger enemy unit that we were trying to flank them before all our firepower was in place. It took a lot of juggling of units to fix that blunder. When a general called him to the carpet for jumping the gun, his reply was, "I thought we came here to fight."

I don't know for sure, but INTP has got to be up there. At least as a grunt. As an officer off the frontlines I think we'd do alright, but as a grunt with a gun... yikes...

No NCO will appreciate their orders being questioned, and that's... pretty much all I'd ever do. I imagine my own squad leader would kill me before the enemy.

"You know what Sarge, I think your orders are idiotic. And here's why."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You sure about that? Isn't group-think/unquestioning acceptance good for the military?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I don't know for sure, but INTP has got to be up there. At least as a grunt. As an officer off the frontlines I think we'd do alright, but as a grunt with a gun... yikes...

No NCO will appreciate their orders being questioned, and that's... pretty much all I'd ever do. I imagine my own squad leader would kill me before the enemy.

"You know what Sarge, I think your orders are idiotic. And here's why."
    LOL ... that's pretty much how it went between me and several majors/colonels. Things would sometimes disintegrate into screaming matches. I was never directly disciplined for it (miracle), but it's no wonder I never made it past captain.