• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

worst type for the military

hommefatal

So does that make you a passefist for hating the military, or a war monger for wanting to kill everybody in it? - :tongue10:

Hmmm... So if I was at war with some country, all I need do is get them to draft you! Then you'd do all the work for me! Neat!
haha
Appreciate it.

Maybe one day you'll understand the importance and necessity of the military.
I don't really see it. But it's true, I wasn't serious.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
haha

I don't really see it. But it's true, I wasn't serious.
If you look at the history of the world, you'll see that man doesn't have a history of living at peace with others nor a restraint on trying to take and possess more through violent means. It might seem like an oxymoron, but a military is necessary for world peace/security - in the long run.

I know you're not American, so it might no be of much significance to you but if it weren't for the minutemen that comprised the Continental Army for the American Colonies (yes, this would be a military), we wouldn't have been able to achieve independence from Britain and America wouldn't be what it has been/is today.

:)

hommefatal

If you look at the history of the world, you'll see that man doesn't have a history of living at peace with others nor a restraint on trying to take and possess more through violent means. It might seem like an oxymoron, but a military is necessary for world peace/security - in the long run.

I know you're not American, so it might no be of much significance to you but if it weren't for the minutemen that comprised the Continental Army for the American Colonies (yes, this would be a military), we wouldn't have been able to achieve independence from Britain and America wouldn't be what it has been/is today.

:)
Yeah, that's okay. But why do we need troops in Afghanistan? It makes everything worse. Organised 'war' doesn't make sense to me. If independence is needed enough people will fight it. But Americans using dangerous weapons are no good.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^Because there's a strong Taliban presence in Afghanistan and Bin Laden is thought to be hiding somewhere along the Pakistan/Afghan border. Bin Laden and his Al Qaeda organization are closely affiliated with the Taliban. They're all political/fundamental religious groups that are violent, militant and harbor terrorism and are a threat to the stability that we're helping to instill in the region.

It's blood for blood... We aren't using any weaponry that isn't necessary. Google "IED" if you want to get a glimpse of dangerous and vile weaponry. It's been a haymaker on our troops.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Here's how I'd rank types in terms of ability to stand being in the military.

Perfect Type for the Military
ESTP

Close To Perfect
ISTP, ENTJ, ESTJ, ESFP

50/50
ISTJ, ENTP, ISFP, ENFJ, ESFJ, INTJ

Will Have Trouble
ENFP, ISFJ, INTP, INFJ

Worst Type For Military
INFP

Extraverts, Sensors, Rationals, Artisans, Sensing-Thinkers, and Intuitive-Judgers all have some advantages in a military environment- applying to all types except the INFP.

Introverts, Intuitives, Guardians, Idealists, Sensing-Feelers, and Intuitive Perceivers will all have some disadvantages with such an environment- applying to all types except the ESTP.

However, this changes once you get higher in command. Move all the Intuitives up a tier and the Sensors down one.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
nozflubber said:
You're totally off about the ISFP thing - you mistake them as soft, but many ISFPs can be truly hardened men. MY brother is ISFP and in the army and is doing great there and is a seargant already.

I'm not surprised to hear this.
ISFPs are quiet and laidback. However, they are not always softies. In fact, they can often seem like INTPs- except a lot more down-to-earth.
I think it's the Se that does it.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Why would you put IS/NTJ as 50/50?

Both ISTJ and INTJ are Introverted which puts them at a disadvantage in the military environment where they have very little alone time.

There are other reasons why I put them at 50/50.

Many of the ISTJ's I know are uncomfortable with being opportunistic. They enjoy being dutiful. However, compared to some other types, this soft-spoken Guardian often runs into some disadvantages. However, the ISTJ benefits from being practical, hands-on, and comfortable with giving and taking orders.

As for the INTJ, it's not that the INTJ wouldn't make a competent soldier. However, even more than the ISTJ, the INTJ would probably not be able to stand the military environment for very long. The INTJ can be opportunistic and very much enjoys giving orders.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^Fair enough. I'll agree that introversion does commonly put one in the military at a disadvantage.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One might think Introverts would have the staying power though. The natural ability to be more patient with tedium or routine and keep their heads down until time to emerge.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
One might think Introverts would have the staying power though. The natural ability to be more patient with tedium or routine and keep their heads down until time to emerge.

Being in the military requires being in large groups and a lot of social interaction- an Introvert could very well make a better soldier but an Extravert would have an easier time tolerating the military environment.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
An INFP the worst type for the military? Not if it aligns with their values. Not if they use their ability to chameleon to other types to full advantage. The military is a structure that is founded with logical steps of progression and clearly defined "rules". And any NF potentially has the people skills necessary to flourish in this space.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hmmmm... I'm not entirely sure what skills would be necessary to do well in the military.
Who would fare better in the military? The naturally cooperative or the naturally pragmatic?
I would be inclined to say that even though the cooperative are better at following rules, the pragmatic would do better because they often are more capable of handling the tough life of the military.. the reason why I'd say that the ESTP is a better fit than the ESTJ. Relative to other types, the ESTJ is great for the military but just not as good as the ESTP..

Chloe

even wearing pajama to sleep was too many rules for me since I was lil kid and it stayed that way.... so, ENFP, then INFP.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Hmmmm... I'm not entirely sure what skills would be necessary to do well in the military.
Who would fare better in the military? The naturally cooperative or the naturally pragmatic?
I would be inclined to say that even though the cooperative are better at following rules, the pragmatic would do better because they often are more capable of handling the tough life of the military.. the reason why I'd say that the ESTP is a better fit than the ESTJ. Relative to other types, the ESTJ is great for the military but just not as good as the ESTP..

I think you underrate the toughness of ESTJ's. The toughness together with the greater ability to follow strict discipline makes ESTJ > ESTP for the military.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure who would be worse off by default, but my younger brother an EnTP joined the Army on an impulse and has woefully regretted the decision. He seems glad of certain things and it wasn't an entirely negative experience, but overall he regrets the choice given the overwhelming number of negatives it has cost him personally --as does his wife who is now ex-military.