User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 185

  1. #21
    Senior Member Nighthawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Also: To whomever made the comment about NTPs not putting up with training because it'd be pointless, I disagree. If I joined the military, I could accept the training for a shit-ton of training, the basics of which is that the training is used to protect my life. That's a pretty good fucking motivator.
    The big problem I had with much of the training was that they didn't tell us why we were being trained a certain way. It was just "shut up and do what we tell you." Much of it didn't seem to have anything to do with protecting my life or waging war. Many times, if I had been informed why it was important, it would have worked better for me. When they started explaining the rationale behind the methods in officer school, then they started getting my full buy in. After that, whenever I had to deal with training soldiers, I tried to explain the rationale. It seemed to work for some, but most didn't really care and were just content to follow orders.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I'm not trying to say that INFPs cannot make great soldiers or officers ... just that I didn't see very many during my time in uniform. The vast majority were SJ and SP. Of course the vast majority of the population is SJ and SP ... so that could account for the skewing. I still believe however, that the more letters you have differing from ESTJ, the more difficult time you will have in most military units. Also freedom fighters and rebels usually don't subscribe to the orthodox military regulations and structures ... which is part of what makes them so effective.

    I do see your points about NF passion and its application to a military cause. That is something I had not considered.
    I agree with you there. I guess the fact that there as so many more S's than N's has something to do with it.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  3. #23
    Senior Member stigmatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Here's a true military scenereo, and a question for all you NT's and NF's...

    On many occasions in the military, during winter (or the opposite in summer), the post uniform assigned included a very very warm jacket. Because they said so, you were REQUIRED to were a bdu jacket outside. Some day's, especially toward the end or beginning of winter, you'd have an unusually hot day. Guess what? You are NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE YOUR JACKET OFF, until the command to do so comes down the pipe. At best, your day would be half over before it did, at worst, they wouldn't even bother.

    How would this effect you? I found this, and many things like it, highly frustrating. I wanted to go beat somebody over the head for the stupidity of it.

    Edit: I'll give you that I was in a special unit, maybe things were more relaxed elsewhere in the military.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Nighthawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Here's a true military scenereo, and a question for all you NT's and NF's...

    On many occasions in the military, during winter (or the opposite in summer), the post uniform assigned included a very very warm jacket. Because they said so, you were REQUIRED to were a bdu jacket outside. Some day's, especially toward the end or beginning of winter, you'd have an unusually hot day. Guess what? You are NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE YOUR JACKET OFF, until the command to do so comes down the pipe. At best, your day would be half over before it did, at worst, they wouldn't even bother.

    How would this effect you? I found this, and many things like it, highly frustrating. I wanted to go beat somebody over the head for the stupidity of it.
    I experience this quite a bit. It was very annoying and I bristled at it. I also had a quilted comforter sewn inside of my military issue wet weather jacket ... so I could stay both dry and warm. When my superior saw that, he forbid me from wearing it. Heaven forbid doing something that makes sense.

    Also, we were not permitted to use umbrellas when it rained, because it looked "unmilitary."

  5. #25
    Senior Member stigmatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I experience this quite a bit. It was very annoying and I bristled at it. I also had a quilted comforter sewn inside of my military issue wet weather jacket ... so I could stay both dry and warm. When my superior saw that, he forbid me from wearing it. Heaven forbid doing something that makes sense.

    Also, we were not permitted to use umbrellas when it rained, because it looked "unmilitary."
    Yep.. I think for those that have not experienced it first hand, they do not understand the extent and depth that these annoyances run in the military. In all things it is assumed that the soldier lacks all common sense or intelligence, and for the greater good, he must adhere to the manual and orders from above. From everything to how you wear your clothes, how you talk, how you walk, how you live, how you eat, how you sleep... Those who are happiest in the military are those willing to let the currents sweep them where they will. Those who fight the current, or question where the current goes never quite settle in, and therefore never find contentment.

  6. #26
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Here's a true military scenereo, and a question for all you NT's and NF's...

    On many occasions in the military, during winter (or the opposite in summer), the post uniform assigned included a very very warm jacket. Because they said so, you were REQUIRED to were a bdu jacket outside. Some day's, especially toward the end or beginning of winter, you'd have an unusually hot day. Guess what? You are NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE YOUR JACKET OFF, until the command to do so comes down the pipe. At best, your day would be half over before it did, at worst, they wouldn't even bother.

    How would this effect you? I found this, and many things like it, highly frustrating. I wanted to go beat somebody over the head for the stupidity of it.

    Edit: I'll give you that I was in a special unit, maybe things were more relaxed elsewhere in the military.
    Actually, that specific thing wouldn't bother me. I've always refused to take my jacket off on a day I had decided to wear it, even when it was hot, because I was afraid of losing it or forgetting to put it back on, and because the idea always made me feel "sloppy," somehow, to partially disrobe in the middle of the day.

    I guess that's idiosyncratic J behavior. This just goes to show that no matter where you go, you're going to find a few rules or ideas that align with your own tendencies, and many that don't. I'm quite obviously a terrible fit for the military given my sensitivity and paranoia, and yet now I can't say that I have nothing in common with them or their way of thinking. Interesting.

  7. #27
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    I say mostly any type that's stable and responsible can fend just fine in the military. I would say certain types may be at more of a disadvantage, due to the value and focus of certain branches. For instance your experience in the Marine Corps will greatly differ from that of the Air Force... Need I expound, just ask.

    My .02 would be to agree with the consensus of INTPc as stated in the OP that INTP would be a hard fit, especially in the Marine Corps (the only branch I have first hand experience in). It's very disciplinary and "do as your told". A lot of times, you're going to have shit-for-brains trying to lead you. It can be frustrating for any type, especially those who like to think outside of the box and challenge/question authority like it's going out of style (I have an INTJ friend here who's all over this).

  8. #28
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    The basic methodology of military training is to break and recreate. In that sense all types would find a home in the military somewhere. I presume the military does require chefs, personnel officers, stores staff, all of which require different skill sets.

    At a higher planning level, INTPs would probably feel at home; INFP would be happy in something like rehabilitation/therapy/PTSD councilling. IMO the military are far more open-minded than the majority of civilian employers.

    Your army won't do much fighting if you can't find a chef...

  9. #29
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    ^Good points. Like I said, it's going to vary from branch to branch and then from various occupational specialties, like you said. The military isn't all guns and killing... Not by any means.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Stop thinking INFPs would be the worst! Jone of Arc was an INFP (or so they say) and she stood up for what she loved and fought for her country. NFs are all about pride and inspiration..so if they were inspired to do so, they could easily. Not every single NF is completely passive, it's soo annoying when people stereotype NFs as being like that. Many of the best freedom fighters and rebels were NFs.
    I see myself fighting, but never while taking orders from someone whose authority I don't recognize/acknowledge.

    And who ever said NFs are passive is high out of his/her skull.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2586
    Last Post: 12-11-2017, 04:03 AM
  2. [MBTItm] You can trade in one 'letter' of your type, for the opposite...........
    By IZthe411 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 181
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 06:04 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
  4. Favourite Sports for the Types?
    By nolla in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
  5. [MBTItm] A Question For The Domiant Type At This Forum?
    By "?" in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO