User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

INFP

If you change any one of those letters, there's a good chance it will still be a bad match.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    INFP

If you change any one of those letters, there's a good chance it will still be a bad match.
    I agree ... any one-letter variation from INFP (inclusive) would be a questionable match. Still leaves three preferences that cut against the military grain.

Dali

Probably INFs with strong F functions.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I think NTPs would be worst in the Military.

Why do people always assume that NFs would be? NFs would have the honor to do such a thing, in my opinion..I know I'd have the honor. My uncle is an INFP and he was in Desert Storm and was proud to risk his life for his beliefs. NTs wouldn't find much logic in tedious drills and training and tactics would be difficult. NTJs would, however, make good Military leaders, but NTPs in my opinion, would most likely hate it the most.

Stop thinking INFPs would be the worst! Jone of Arc was an INFP (or so they say) and she stood up for what she loved and fought for her country. NFs are all about pride and inspiration..so if they were inspired to do so, they could easily. Not every single NF is completely passive, it's soo annoying when people stereotype NFs as being like that. Many of the best freedom fighters and rebels were NFs.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP

I agree with INFP. It's not a question of being willing to fight for your beliefs. It's more a question of being able to put up with military life - which would probably suit ESTJs the best I'm guessing.

Edit: Private Witt in The Thin Red Line is a pretty good depiction of an INFP in the military I would think.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

An NTP is probably only good for the military if they're an officer or something.

Also: To whomever made the comment about NTPs not putting up with training because it'd be pointless, I disagree. If I joined the military, I could accept the training for a shit-ton of training, the basics of which is that the training is used to protect my life. That's a pretty good fucking motivator.

EDIT: But I would completely and utterly resist deindividuation.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Stop thinking INFPs would be the worst! Jone of Arc was an INFP (or so they say) and she stood up for what she loved and fought for her country. NFs are all about pride and inspiration..so if they were inspired to do so, they could easily. Not every single NF is completely passive, it's soo annoying when people stereotype NFs as being like that. Many of the best freedom fighters and rebels were NFs.
    yeah i actualyl agree that the INFP is getting dissmissed too easily by their value systems..... it could be the INFPs values that lead them into military life in the first place. It depends. You want to see a truly militant human being? find ANY feamle NFP cat lover and hurt her loved ones just ONCE and see what u get :P I think the male INFPs should speak up on this - where's biaxident?!

But an INTP always has a need for reasonining and questioning and all around deviant thinking.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm an ENFP who spent 3yrs and seventeen weeks in the military. It was a roller coaster ride. I thoroughly enjoyed the comradeship, adventure, and challenges of the military, but despised the hard fast rules and regulations. Following orders from those who lacked intelligence in there decision making, and a lack of rational discussion in those decisions could be excrutiating at times. The day I got out was one of the happiest moments of my life, but at the same time, I miss the comradeship and adventure often. I would hate to do it again, but I wouldn't trade my experience in either.

Oh! Worst type for the military? I'm going to go with either INTP or INFP equally, but for different reasons. Both would find the strict rules and structures stifling, the INTP would be apt to inappropriate conflict, where the INFP would be secretly depressed.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It would depend on the person, but I rather think an INFP with a mission could do very well. I honestly think it would be matter of extremes though, because I could imagine for myself it would be my own personal hell.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I'm not trying to say that INFPs cannot make great soldiers or officers ... just that I didn't see very many during my time in uniform. The vast majority were SJ and SP. Of course the vast majority of the population is SJ and SP ... so that could account for the skewing. I still believe however, that the more letters you have differing from ESTJ, the more difficult time you will have in most military units. Also freedom fighters and rebels usually don't subscribe to the orthodox military regulations and structures ... which is part of what makes them so effective.

I do see your points about NF passion and its application to a military cause. That is something I had not considered.