6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Worst type?

GHEY
    You really are the other sister.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

True, drill sergeants apparently don't yell. At least not like they used to, according to my dad.

That said, he's a military guy, and even he prevented me from thinking about joining (not that I ever really did). He always said I'd get kicked out, not me. And not just because of yelling. I just don't do well with that kind of authority. Also, I'm a highschool dropout, so I didn't do well with teachers either. Is it a badge of pride? Hmm, I guess it is. For the sake of humor at least, I'll just say that everyone can fuck off.

No, j/k. I just like authorities to earn my respect as much as I theirs. Usually, institutions have the leg up on that for some people, where the institution itself commands respect, and the authorities along with it. So it's easier for some to just graft themselves into it right off the bat. For others, it takes time. I'm probably one of these people where it takes time.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    You really are the other sister.
    What do you mean?

Oh, and my dad is a drill instructor, and he gets REALLY loud.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Military Incompetence and the Authoritarian Personality

In the book, "On the Psychology of Military Incompetence", by Dr. Norman F. Dixon, we learn that the authoritarian personality is cultivated by the military.

And naturally the authoritarian personlity rises in the ranks to General. And it is the authoritarian General that is the cause of military incompetence.

And it is MBTI that helps the military to identify the authoritarian personality.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In the book, "On the Psychology of Military Incompetence", by Dr. Norman F. Dixon, we learn that the authoritarian personality is cultivated by the military.

And naturally the authoritarian personlity rises in the ranks to General. And it is the authoritarian General that is the cause of military incompetence.

And it is MBTI that helps the military to identify the authoritarian personality.
    So, help me understand this. Every promotion cycle, when the higher ups assign evaluations based on quotas (the top 20% of evals have a MUCH better chance of getting promoted), you're saying those 20% of top evals are granted based on who they have identified as being a certain MBTI type?

It's very political here in the U.S. military. At least in my branch of service (I was enlisted, not an officer), in the lower ranks (E-1 through E-5) promotion was largely based on your test score. As long as you didn't totally piss off your superiors, you could basically "promote yourself" by putting in a good test score. But, once you get into the E-6 (shop supervisor) to E-9 (lifetime career man with an attitude), your evaluation became VERY important as they are more heavily weighted at these ranks. If you aren't in that top 20% of evaluations, it's going to be difficult to get promoted. So, only being in for 4 years, I went E-1 to E-5 in no time flat. Then, I began seeing very bright E-5's who were quiet or who otherwise didn't "join in the reindeer games", unable to get promoted because the higher ups would give out the top 20% evals to "their buddies" or people who "played the game better".

People who usually didn't get promoted from E-6 and up: quiet people, people who didn't schmooze, people who weren't particularly bright.
    People who did promote well from E-6 and up: talkative, workaholics, schmoozers, buddies, and talent played a role too.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    So, help me understand this. Every promotion cycle, when the higher ups assign evaluations based on quotas (the top 20% of evals have a MUCH better chance of getting promoted), you're saying those 20% of top evals are granted based on who they have identified as being a certain MBTI type?

It's very political here in the U.S. military. At least in my branch of service (I was enlisted, not an officer), in the lower ranks (E-1 through E-5) promotion was largely based on your test score. As long as you didn't totally piss off your superiors, you could basically "promote yourself" by putting in a good test score. But, once you get into the E-6 (shop supervisor) to E-9 (lifetime career man with an attitude), your evaluation became VERY important as they are more heavily weighted at these ranks. If you aren't in that top 20% of evaluations, it's going to be difficult to get promoted. So, only being in for 4 years, I went E-1 to E-5 in no time flat. Then, I began seeing very bright E-5's who were quiet or who otherwise didn't "join in the reindeer games", unable to get promoted because the higher ups would give out the top 20% evals to "their buddies" or people who "played the game better".

People who usually didn't get promoted from E-6 and up: quiet people, people who didn't schmooze, people who weren't particularly bright.
    People who did promote well from E-6 and up: talkative, workaholics, schmoozers, buddies, and talent played a role too.
    I think the problem posed by the book was, why do some Generals loose battles. And the answer given was that authoritarian Generals loose battles because their thinking and behaviour can be predicted by more creative Generals.

And what you say seems to bear out that the higher ranks are for people who "play the game better". And the game is an authoritarian game. So at the end of the game we tend to get far too many authoritarian Generals.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think the problem posed by the book was, why do some Generals loose battles. And the answer given was that authoritarian Generals loose battles because their thinking and behaviour can be predicted by more creative Generals.

And what you say seems to bear out that the higher ranks are for people who "play the game better". And the game is an authoritarian game. So at the end of the game we tend to get far too many authoritarian Generals.
    I can agree with the idea that at the very top of the officer ranks (those making big decisions), it tends to be authoritarian-heavy, if not completely dominated by them. I would also say that you're probably not going to find too many NTP's with the patience and focus to spend 30-35 years in one vocation so that they can rise through these ranks and become these types of military leaders.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i don't know, but i think i'd probably choose any other job over joining the military. NP's and FP's i guess would do the worst.

Glycerine

The people who who can't stand hierarchical systems, having to sacrifice their autonomy to move up in rank, feeling "intruded upon" So , e4,5,9. probably. I think e3 (e8 and e6 if they agreed with the system) would be ideal for the military. You have to sacrifice a lot and strongly commit in order to excel. My dad was in the military for 35 years but was forced to entire (unless he became promoted to general which he did not want because you become more of a puppet than a Colonel, ironically).

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

worst infantry: NFPs, INTJ
    worst commander: FJs, IFPs
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire