User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default For Those Who Speak a Second Language

I'm sure we have a few or more on here...

What is/are your native language(s)?
    What language(s) did you learn? Why?
    How useful is a second/third/whatever language to you generally? On a daily basis?
    What aspects of the language did you find difficult? What did you find easy?
    About how long did it take for you to feel comfortable speaking in that language?
    Was there ever a time you 'chickened out' because you were not confident in your ability to speak properly?

Please sate my curiosity.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Indonesian (Bahasa).

English. It's international language.

How useful is a second/third/whatever language to you generally? On a daily basis?
    It help a lot since my college books mostly imported books with english language. And currently I'm working as a journalist, so yeah it help a lot when I have to interview specific sourcepersons.

What aspects of the language did you find difficult?
    Grammar.

What did you find easy?
    Verb and english conversation.

About how long did it take for you to feel comfortable speaking in that language?
    Just after graduated from my university, which is 2 years ago.

Was there ever a time you 'chickened out' because you were not confident in your ability to speak properly?
    Before the graduation.

NZ English

Japanese, I live in Japan.

Very!

Speaking was relatively easy. Reading and writing, very hard.

2 years

Not really, I don't usually have any option but to give it a go.

MBTI
    INTP

My native language is Finnish.
    I learned mostly Indo-European languages. For the practical reasons. They are all useful.
    I find the communication part difficult. But communication is as difficult in Finnish.

Some of the languages I never learned to speak. I think it is because there was nobody to speak to.
    I chicken out all the time.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Dutch

English - Well, it's pretty mandatory and hard not too!
    French - Mandatory in school, I could handle myself pretty well in that language. I kinda lost the touch for it because I never use it. I can read it pretty well still.
    German - Same for French except I use it occasionally. It's become tough to speak it, too much thinking, searching words, now. But I can handle myself in the language.

I know quite some Swedish phrases and can also write a few words in hebrew. But that's not really worth mentioning I suppose. :P

Not useful at all on a daily basis. The only language I use sometimes is german, because they often come here on vacation. But even then, english seems to be an easier way out. But I am not a chit chatty person, so I wouldn't say much!

English is easy. Due to daily use it makes it easy.
    German language is toughest bit is probably proper use of der/die/das/etc.
    French verbs are hell.

English? I always seem to have had a good grasp of it. Playing games when i was young, movies, tv, etc.
    French and German I spoke best when I was 16 years old, I had both languages in school for 3 years..

Can't say I ever did. I just don't speak that much. But I'll try my best when I do speak. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Flemish/Dutch

Latin, English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Arabian, and a little bit of Norwegian.

French is given in school from the age of 10 as it is the second language in our country, English I learned from the TV and later in school coz it was an international language.

I studied Latin-Modern Languages in school coz my family has a history of being good at languages and I sucked at math. So German and Latin were part of my high school schedule.

I went to Russia for a year coz I was sick of Western-European languages, and wanted a real challenge. After that I got my masters in English-Russian translation. During that education we had the opportunity to take on a third language, and I tried out Arabian for a year. Also, because I went to Russia, I was ahead of my class in the first year of Russian, so for kicks, I took some classes in Spanish for a year.

And lastly, my SO is Norwegian, and I lived there for 3 months.

I enjoy collecting languages, so...

English I use everyday, as I speak it with my SO. Also, in our country you don't find a decent job without speaking at least some English and French, so very handy, yes.

Western European languages are a bitch on the application of grammar, exceptions and idioms. Apparently, I have a knack though for speaking languages almost without an audible accent (unless I'm tired). I enjoy the 'melody' of a language. And I can rant my head off in any language. Writing however...

Euuuhm. The only one I'm truly comfortable in, is English. I was always quite comfortable in it, but as a kid you don't realize that you're not fluent. As an adult however...

Yup, I do that constantly with French...and Russian, not to mention the ones that I just picked up here and there.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Since when are you living in Japan, and have english as your native language, Amar? :P

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Since when are you living in Japan, and have english as your native language, Amar? :P
    Go away dude, and let a girl edit
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Pardon me. Fast fingers. Pewpew.

Quite the liguist I see hmm? Russian is a very cool language. A lot of russian words and dutch words are related. Many words that have to do with boating and sea traveling and all kinds of 16th century words are almost the same.

A few years back me and a russian guy exchanged dutch/russian to find similarities. I picked up some basic understanding of the language because of it. But don't ask me to write something in Russian now because that information all slipped into the far reaches of my brain.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Pardon me. Fast fingers. Pewpew.

Quite the liguist I see hmm? Russian is a very cool language. A lot of russian words and dutch words are related. Many words that have to do with boating and sea traveling and all kinds of 16th century words are almost the same.

A few years back me and a russian guy exchanged dutch/russian to find similarities. I picked up some basic understanding of the language because of it. But don't ask me to write something in Russian now because that information all slipped into the far reaches of my brain.
    Yeah well Peter the Great has fun spying on you guys (the Dutch) in the 16th century. You probably know this though. He was quite obsessed with western culture and technology, and he even worked at one of your harbors, which is why a whole boatload () of dutch vocabulary got injected into the Russian language

It's...quite a challenge. I've studied it for 5 years, and I still don't feel like I'm any good at it. But drop me in the middle of Russia somewhere and I'll find my way home.
    You've got quite a collection yourself, I see
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★